168 - 4.01 (LSAC only counted last 1.5 years after transfer) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jocas99

New

168 - 4.01 (LSAC only counted last 1.5 years after transfer)

Post by jocas99 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:52 pm

I've taken the LSAT 3 times now, 166/168/168 . I really thought the last time I took it I would get the 170 but what can you do.
I do have a quandary regarding the GPA. I transferred from a Welsh university and we don't GPA, just the honors system. I was on second class honors basically would have had something like a 3.5. I then transferred to a US school and did well and for the rest of the time maintained an above 4.00 GPA. LSAC only used the US GPA to give me my overall GPA.

I am worried that once the actual transcript from Britain lands infront of the admission counselor, they will see the fuck up and I will be rejected from the top schools, or won't have an edge.

Anyone have experience in this

twenty

Gold

Re: 168 - 4.01 (LSAC only counted last 1.5 years after transfer)

Post by twenty » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:58 pm

If your LSAC GPA is calculated as 4.01, you're all good. The one or two schools that flip out because of HOMG SECOND CLASS HONORS WHAT WILL WE DO certainly won't take away from your overall opportunity. I'm sure you'll have some decent options by the end of the admissions cycle. :)

Everything but HYS and Columbia are in the cards here.

jocas99

New

Post by jocas99 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:05 pm

Do you think $$$ is an option too. I realized that my LSAT is below Median at most of the schools and all these schools seem to love LSAT scores. I would like to work Federal Govt, and currently live in DC and would like to stay here, but I know Gtown doesn't give many scholarships and are generally disregarded on this board.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:24 pm

I would be very surprised if GULC gave you money. Secondly, you're almost definitely not getting a legal job with the feds. You're going to be hard-pressed to get any job with the feds.

If you really want to stay in DC, ED to GWU. Your stats are right in line for the full ride.

jocas99

New

Post by jocas99 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Not the biggest fan of GW, know some people struggling with top 30% finishes from there. I think name recognition is what I will go for. If any of the t-14 throw money at me, that would be great, Chicago and NYU would be awesome the rest are alright.
I would like to stay in DC but not dead set on it. Thanks for the help mate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:18 pm

UChicago would be your top option for fed jobs. You have an outside shot at Stanford, so make sure you send an app there too.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:01 pm

Other than Big Fed, what do you want to do? The answer to that will inform our advice. As for getting a job with the federal govt, my impression is that the odds of that happening in this fiscal atmosphere are so low it's not worth bothering with. Definitely shouldn't base your law school decision on historical BigFed placement info.

jocas99

New

Post by jocas99 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:09 am

Something along the public interest lines. Not really interested in Big Firm, at least not interested in long term. The prestige is fine, but the hours are a killer. I have friends that do that and they are miserable, I mean they love the money but they absolutely loathe their jobs. I am a bit older, so I am not a bright eyed teen, I am looking for a subtantial change in my life.

thepoporcoming

New

Post by thepoporcoming » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:17 am

That has got to be a joke. That is completely unfair to pretty much anyone applying to law schools. The fact you are nothing better than a B+ student and had a lucky year and get to apply to some of the best universities is a joke. I hope the admissions officers tear through your transcripts and realize LSAC messed up big time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 am

thepoporcoming wrote:That has got to be a joke. That is completely unfair to pretty much anyone applying to law schools. The fact you are nothing better than a B+ student and had a lucky year and get to apply to some of the best universities is a joke. I hope the admissions officers tear through your transcripts and realize LSAC messed up big time.
Wow.

thepoporcoming

New

Post by thepoporcoming » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:59 am

ImNoScar wrote:
thepoporcoming wrote:That has got to be a joke. That is completely unfair to pretty much anyone applying to law schools. The fact you are nothing better than a B+ student and had a lucky year and get to apply to some of the best universities is a joke. I hope the admissions officers tear through your transcripts and realize LSAC messed up big time.
Wow.

I obviously don't think that it is his fault that this happened. He is probably one of the luckiest people in this admissions game, where numbers matter more than a "holistic" approach. Considering that I have similar numbers, and he will be taking a place from me, it does annoy me. I worked my ass of in college to maintain a GPA, while this guy does well for a year and has a higher overall GPA than me. It's stupid and unfair.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:24 am

thepoporcoming wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
Wow.

I obviously don't think that it is his fault that this happened. He is probably one of the luckiest people in this admissions game, where numbers matter more than a "holistic" approach. Considering that I have similar numbers, and he will be taking a place from me, it does annoy me. I worked my ass of in college to maintain a GPA, while this guy does well for a year and has a higher overall GPA than me. It's stupid and unfair.
I think it's more stupid and more unfair that a student with a 4.15 in basket weaving will beat the student with a 3.7 in biology, but that's just the way it works. Personally, I was royally screwed by the way LSAC calculates grades, but I'm happy to hear some people get pleasantly surprised. Don't be one of those whiney people who blames their own perceived shortcomings on those "less worthy" muscling their way in. If you have similar numbers to OP and you don't get in to some of the same schools, it won't be because he took a place from you.

thepoporcoming

New

Post by thepoporcoming » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:49 am

I have a 3.88 in chemistry, from a decent school. Whatever, its BS and we all know it. Law is a competitive field, law school is competitive and being an associate and partner at a big law firm is ridiculously competitive. So why should I be happy about this. I am just hoping that when they compare the two of us, they will look at my transcripts and see that over 4 years, I maintained a strong GPA and didn't fluke one in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:20 am

thepoporcoming wrote:I have a 3.88 in chemistry, from a decent school. Whatever, its BS and we all know it. Law is a competitive field, law school is competitive and being an associate and partner at a big law firm is ridiculously competitive. So why should I be happy about this. I am just hoping that when they compare the two of us, they will look at my transcripts and see that over 4 years, I maintained a strong GPA and didn't fluke one in.
While you're being a royal prick ITT, I think if an adcom at HYS matches the two of you up, the eight semester 3.88 in stem from a top program would be the stronger pick than this guys 4.1. You're above median so the challenge of your coursework will be noted to folks like Deal and Asha. Just chill out and dont come off this way in your PS and you'll be fine. No one is taking your spot.

ETA: for reference, its people like "pacifica" that cop all of HYS, not the cheap 4.0+ from CCs and commuter universities

jocas99

New

Post by jocas99 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:41 pm

While I can understand your frustrations...what is it that you want me to do.
I have been given a great opportunity and if admissions officer ding me on my previous grades, then so be it. I complied with what they wanted, both transcripts, I did in no way cheat them.
My only regret is not being able to score higher on the LSAT.
Hopefully we can get into the same school and become friends.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:08 pm

thepoporcoming wrote:I have a 3.88 in chemistry, from a decent school. Whatever, its BS and we all know it. Law is a competitive field, law school is competitive and being an associate and partner at a big law firm is ridiculously competitive. So why should I be happy about this.
Being competitive and being gracious aren't mutually exclusive.

thepoporcoming

New

Post by thepoporcoming » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:20 pm

Whatever, I am pretty sure I am not the only that feels that way, This person should have a 3.6 maybe a 3.7 maximum and this would then barely get him into the top top 10. I know that others feel this way, just no one wants to say anything, because they don't want to be perceived as mean.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Uncle Lou

Bronze

Post by Uncle Lou » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:29 pm

thepoporcoming wrote:Whatever, I am pretty sure I am not the only that feels that way, This person should have a 3.6 maybe a 3.7 maximum and this would then barely get him into the top top 10. I know that others feel this way, just no one wants to say anything, because they don't want to be perceived as mean.
lol

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:34 pm

thepoporcoming wrote:Whatever, I am pretty sure I am not the only that feels that way, This person should have a 3.6 maybe a 3.7 maximum and this would then barely get him into the top top 10. I know that others feel this way, just no one wants to say anything, because they don't want to be perceived as mean.
I'm pretty sure it's just you. I'm congratulatory of OP -- while it would have been a lot more laudable if he had purposefully gamed the system like this, the fact that he just got lucky enough to pull it off is still very impressive.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:53 pm

u guys fuckin suck

congrats on winning the GPA lottery brah

and on the 168

jocas99

New

Post by jocas99 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:15 am

I obviously posted on here because I don't think I am golden. there are plenty of people with similar statistics in which one gets accepted and the other does, so they are obviously looking at your transcript at the top schools. My goal, as the low hanging fruit in this case, is Stanford, but quite frankly any of the T-10 would do.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thepoporcoming

New

Post by thepoporcoming » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:56 am

Look buddy, I have nothing against you and I do wish you all the best. I guess I am just angry at LSAC for doing this, its simply not fair to have someone being slightly above average then do well for a year and get a 4.0 GPA on the LSAC GPA. It pretty much devalues all the hard work everyone puts in. You should send them flowers or something, cause I have never met a luckier person in my life.

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:18 am

You have a 3.88 in Chemistry. Presumably, you have better post-grad employment options than this guy if he's non-STEM. It's your choice to enter into law school and deal with the job climate (ie, play the law school game).

thepoporcoming

New

Post by thepoporcoming » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:10 am

If I presumably get into a t-14 and do well enough, then I will get a job, I am not worried about that. I want to go to law school, because I don't like Chemistry.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:06 am

Don't many bigfed jobs require US citizenship?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”