3.70/176 Bit of a Splitter-What are my chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
montykarl91
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:47 pm

3.70/176 Bit of a Splitter-What are my chances?

Postby montykarl91 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:56 pm

deleted
Last edited by montykarl91 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: 3.70/176 Bit of a Splitter-What are my chances?

Postby guano » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:02 pm

montykarl91 wrote:Hey guys, I wanted to ask all of you to see if you could help me with my chances. I am a bit of splitter so I am really interested in your take on this. Thank you ahead of time for your help!

3.7 GPA at a top 25 school (though I know that doesn't mean much)
176 LSAT

Softs- I'm not loaded down with them like some people on this site, but I have my share of average stuff, and also happened to overcome a physical disability (It was a stomach disease that caused me to withdraw for a year and get 3 separate surgeries to help it heal.)

I'm really interested in my odds at all the t14 schools. Do you think I should Blanket them? I'd also like to know if I have any shout at all in the top 5s. Thank you so much.

Possibly in at HYS
Probably in at CCN
Probably getting money everywhere else

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: 3.70/176 Bit of a Splitter-What are my chances?

Postby nothingtosee » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:17 pm

guano wrote:
montykarl91 wrote:Hey guys, I wanted to ask all of you to see if you could help me with my chances. I am a bit of splitter so I am really interested in your take on this. Thank you ahead of time for your help!

3.7 GPA at a top 25 school (though I know that doesn't mean much)
176 LSAT

Softs- I'm not loaded down with them like some people on this site, but I have my share of average stuff, and also happened to overcome a physical disability (It was a stomach disease that caused me to withdraw for a year and get 3 separate surgeries to help it heal.)

I'm really interested in my odds at all the t14 schools. Do you think I should Blanket them? I'd also like to know if I have any shout at all in the top 5s. Thank you so much.

Possibly in at H YS
Probably in at CCN
Probably YP'ed at PVM without Why us?
Probably $$$ at DNC
Probably getting money everywhere else


Sources cited: http://mylsn.info/yuoahd

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: 3.70/176 Bit of a Splitter-What are my chances?

Postby nebula666 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:19 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Enjoy Harvard

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: 3.70/176 Bit of a Splitter-What are my chances?

Postby stillwater » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:23 pm

LOL at splitter. nice nothumblebrag.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: 3.70/176 Bit of a Splitter-What are my chances?

Postby nothingtosee » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:28 pm

On elterrible's numbers blog: http://www.admissionsbythenumbers.com/
he defines splitter as "below 25th GPA, above 75th LSAT."
OP matches this definition for HYS so they say a bit of a splitter.

Why the butthurt?

montykarl91
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: 3.70/176 Bit of a Splitter-What are my chances?

Postby montykarl91 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:31 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
guano wrote:
montykarl91 wrote:Hey guys, I wanted to ask all of you to see if you could help me with my chances. I am a bit of splitter so I am really interested in your take on this. Thank you ahead of time for your help!

3.7 GPA at a top 25 school (though I know that doesn't mean much)
176 LSAT

Softs- I'm not loaded down with them like some people on this site, but I have my share of average stuff, and also happened to overcome a physical disability (It was a stomach disease that caused me to withdraw for a year and get 3 separate surgeries to help it heal.)

I'm really interested in my odds at all the t14 schools. Do you think I should Blanket them? I'd also like to know if I have any shout at all in the top 5s. Thank you so much.

Possibly in at H YS
Probably in at CCN
Probably YP'ed at PVM without Why us?
Probably $$$ at DNC
Probably getting money everywhere else


Sources cited: http://mylsn.info/yuoahd


Could someone explain what YP'ed at PVM without Why us? means? Not really clear on the terminology.
And I know there are bigger splitters out there, but many have defined it as having a GPA below the 25% and a LSAT above the 75%. I apologize if you think of it as something different.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: 3.70/176 Bit of a Splitter-What are my chances?

Postby nothingtosee » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:39 pm

montykarl91 wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:
guano wrote:
montykarl91 wrote:Hey guys, I wanted to ask all of you to see if you could help me with my chances. I am a bit of splitter so I am really interested in your take on this. Thank you ahead of time for your help!

3.7 GPA at a top 25 school (though I know that doesn't mean much)
176 LSAT

Softs- I'm not loaded down with them like some people on this site, but I have my share of average stuff, and also happened to overcome a physical disability (It was a stomach disease that caused me to withdraw for a year and get 3 separate surgeries to help it heal.)

I'm really interested in my odds at all the t14 schools. Do you think I should Blanket them? I'd also like to know if I have any shout at all in the top 5s. Thank you so much.

Possibly in at H YS
Probably in at CCN
Probably YP'ed at PVM without Why us?
Probably $$$ at DNC
Probably getting money everywhere else


Sources cited: http://mylsn.info/yuoahd


Could someone explain what YP'ed at PVM without Why us? means? Not really clear on the terminology.
And I know there are bigger splitters out there, but many have defined it as having a GPA below the 25% and a LSAT above the 75%. I apologize if you think of it as something different.


YP=Yield Protect
MVP will give you a fee waiver so you apply. Then they'll put on the the WL because they assume someone with your numbers would rather go to HCCN. They do this because it boosts their US News ranking (acceptance rate and yield [i.e. the number of matriculants divided by the number of acceptances given out]).

But if you write an essay saying "I really want to go to Virginia because they have X awesome program, Y awesome professor, and I have family in the area" they'll think you might go if accepted, and won't WL you.

User avatar
DrStudMuffin
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: 3.70/176 Bit of a Splitter-What are my chances?

Postby DrStudMuffin » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:40 pm

.
Last edited by DrStudMuffin on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

montykarl91
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: 3.70/176 Bit of a Splitter-What are my chances?

Postby montykarl91 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:47 pm

Okay, thanks guys. That makes perfect sense. You're the best.

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: 3.70/176 Bit of a Splitter-What are my chances?

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:57 pm

nothingtosee wrote:On elterrible's numbers blog: http://www.admissionsbythenumbers.com/
he defines splitter as "below 25th GPA, above 75th LSAT."
OP matches this definition for HYS so they say a bit of a splitter.

Why the butthurt?


Actually, I don't think he ends up being a splitter at Yale. And that definition is definitely arbitrary, but I had to make the cutoff somewhere to be able to run the analysis, and that seemed as good a way to define the rule as any. Thanks for reading, though!

Anecdotally, re: YP at MVP, I got into Michigan with a Darrow with no kotowing whatsoever, and although it initially looked like I was on the way to UVA's waitlist, it only took an e-mail (and not even a "why UVA" e-mail) to get a full scholly offer from them (and I was damn close to signing on the dotted line). I think it's pretty clear that over the years, the YP thing at those schools has been real, but there may be a disturbance in the force with the uncertainty of app cycles recently.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: 3.70/176 Bit of a Splitter-What are my chances?

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:54 am

OP, here are your chances:

Image

And now you know what YP looks like.

Incidentally, if you did have a killer GPA to match your LSAT like elterrible, you'd be less likely to be YP'd at Penn. They tend to YP people with below-median GPAs more often than they do people well above both medians. Compare above with:

Image




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest