3.70/176 Bit of a Splitter-What are my chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
montykarl91

3.70/176 Bit of a Splitter-What are my chances?

Postby montykarl91 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:56 pm

deleted
Last edited by montykarl91 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

guano

Re: 3.70/176 Bit of a Splitter-What are my chances?

Postby guano » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:02 pm

montykarl91 wrote:Hey guys, I wanted to ask all of you to see if you could help me with my chances. I am a bit of splitter so I am really interested in your take on this. Thank you ahead of time for your help!

3.7 GPA at a top 25 school (though I know that doesn't mean much)
176 LSAT

Softs- I'm not loaded down with them like some people on this site, but I have my share of average stuff, and also happened to overcome a physical disability (It was a stomach disease that caused me to withdraw for a year and get 3 separate surgeries to help it heal.)

I'm really interested in my odds at all the t14 schools. Do you think I should Blanket them? I'd also like to know if I have any shout at all in the top 5s. Thank you so much.

Possibly in at HYS
Probably in at CCN
Probably getting money everywhere else

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:17 pm

guano wrote:
montykarl91 wrote:Hey guys, I wanted to ask all of you to see if you could help me with my chances. I am a bit of splitter so I am really interested in your take on this. Thank you ahead of time for your help!

176 LSAT

Softs- I'm not loaded down with them like some people on this site, but I have my share of average stuff, and also happened to overcome a physical disability (It was a stomach disease that caused me to withdraw for a year and get 3 separate surgeries to help it heal.)

I'm really interested in my odds at all the t14 schools. Do you think I should Blanket them? I'd also like to know if I have any shout at all in the top 5s. Thank you so much.

Possibly in at H YS
Probably in at CCN
Probably YP'ed at PVM without Why us?
Probably $$$ at DNC

Sources cited: http://mylsn.info/yuoahd

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:19 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Enjoy Harvard

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:23 pm

LOL at splitter. nice nothumblebrag.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:28 pm

On elterrible's numbers blog: http://www.admissionsbythenumbers.com/
he defines splitter as "below 25th GPA, above 75th LSAT."
OP matches this definition for HYS so they say a bit of a splitter.

Why the butthurt?

montykarl91

Postby montykarl91 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:31 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
guano wrote:

176 LSAT

Possibly in at H YS
Probably in at CCN
Probably $$$ at DNC

Could someone explain what YP'ed at PVM without Why us? means? Not really clear on the terminology.
And I know there are bigger splitters out there, but many have defined it as having a GPA below the 25% and a LSAT above the 75%. I apologize if you think of it as something different.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:39 pm

montykarl91 wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:
guano wrote:

176 LSAT

Possibly in at H YS
Probably in at CCN
Probably $$$ at DNC

Could someone explain what YP'ed at PVM without Why us? means? Not really clear on the terminology.
And I know there are bigger splitters out there, but many have defined it as having a GPA below the 25% and a LSAT above the 75%. I apologize if you think of it as something different.

YP=Yield Protect
MVP will give you a fee waiver so you apply. Then they'll put on the the WL because they assume someone with your numbers would rather go to HCCN. They do this because it boosts their US News ranking (acceptance rate and yield [i.e. the number of matriculants divided by the number of acceptances given out]).

But if you write an essay saying "I really want to go to Virginia because they have X awesome program, Y awesome professor, and I have family in the area" they'll think you might go if accepted, and won't WL you.

DrStudMuffin

Postby DrStudMuffin » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:40 pm

Last edited by DrStudMuffin on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

montykarl91

Postby montykarl91 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:47 pm

Okay, thanks guys. That makes perfect sense. You're the best.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:57 pm

nothingtosee wrote:On elterrible's numbers blog: http://www.admissionsbythenumbers.com/
he defines splitter as "below 25th GPA, above 75th LSAT."
OP matches this definition for HYS so they say a bit of a splitter.

Why the butthurt?

Actually, I don't think he ends up being a splitter at Yale. And that definition is definitely arbitrary, but I had to make the cutoff somewhere to be able to run the analysis, and that seemed as good a way to define the rule as any. Thanks for reading, though!

Anecdotally, re: YP at MVP, I got into Michigan with a Darrow with no kotowing whatsoever, and although it initially looked like I was on the way to UVA's waitlist, it only took an e-mail (and not even a "why UVA" e-mail) to get a full scholly offer from them (and I was damn close to signing on the dotted line). I think it's pretty clear that over the years, the YP thing at those schools has been real, but there may be a disturbance in the force with the uncertainty of app cycles recently.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:54 am

OP, here are your chances:

And now you know what YP looks like.

Incidentally, if you did have a killer GPA to match your LSAT like elterrible, you'd be less likely to be YP'd at Penn. They tend to YP people with below-median GPAs more often than they do people well above both medians. Compare above with:

Return to “What are my chances?”