Baylor Law - Spring Admission Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
grungy89

Bronze

Baylor Law - Spring Admission

Post by grungy89 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:13 pm

Anybody have any info on Baylor Spring? I went complete this week and it would be great to know my decision before I spend more money sending out apps this fall. Also, I read somewhere that Baylor averages LSATs. Is this true. I did take the test twice with an 8 point improvement!

Typhoon24

Silver

Re: Baylor Law - Spring Admission

Post by Typhoon24 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:22 pm

The only schools you have to worry about possibly taking anything other than your highest LSAT (holistic view, etc) would be HYSCC.

Idk about baylor's spring admission tho.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:26 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:The only schools you have to worry about possibly taking anything other than your highest LSAT (holistic view, etc) would be HYSCC.

Idk about baylor's spring admission tho.
Not including NYU here flies in the face of the most recent data on this subject. People have discussed this on this site recently, I would look into that before randomly saying the top 5 schools care but others don't.

OP, I strongly advise you to NOT go to Baylor. If you want to go to law school in TX the only decent options are UT, SMU, and UH and all must be at a reasonable price.

che3055

New

Post by che3055 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:32 pm

Baylor will not average your scores. I spoke with dean of admissions at an LSAC forum last cycle. They will take your highest score, and if I recall, they didn't even want to see an addendum.

As for the spring start, I can't provide too much info but I applied to both summer and fall, was accepted simultaneously at both, with the exact same scholarship offer at both. I know class sizes for both spring and summer are absolutely tiny.

Also from the admissions dean, apparently Baylor's curriculum gets harder and more intense as you progress through your years. I've heard on this site that it is an extremely competitive and difficult environment there, and if it were me, I would not all of the stress from that being boiled over into a tiny class size.

Why aren't you shooting for some other options? As others mentioned, SMU, UH, and UT are all better options. You've still got some time to start studying again for the October (or maybe December) LSATs, so I'd either knock that out of the park and go to UT, or ensure that you're going to Baylor for free.

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:36 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Not including NYU here flies in the face of the most recent data on this subject. People have discussed this on this site recently, I would look into that before randomly saying the top 5 schools care but others don't.
sheesh man, I meant to put CCN* instead of CC. Even if I just said HYS or even Y for that matter, there's no need to be a dick about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

grungy89

Bronze

Post by grungy89 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:00 pm

che3055 wrote:Baylor will not average your scores. I spoke with dean of admissions at an LSAC forum last cycle. They will take your highest score, and if I recall, they didn't even want to see an addendum.

As for the spring start, I can't provide too much info but I applied to both summer and fall, was accepted simultaneously at both, with the exact same scholarship offer at both. I know class sizes for both spring and summer are absolutely tiny.

Also from the admissions dean, apparently Baylor's curriculum gets harder and more intense as you progress through your years. I've heard on this site that it is an extremely competitive and difficult environment there, and if it were me, I would not all of the stress from that being boiled over into a tiny class size.

Why aren't you shooting for some other options? As others mentioned, SMU, UH, and UT are all better options. You've still got some time to start studying again for the October (or maybe December) LSATs, so I'd either knock that out of the park and go to UT, or ensure that you're going to Baylor for free.

Thanks for the info. Not many on here seem to encourage going to Baylor. I am graduating this Dec. and saw that Baylor offered Spring Admissions so I decided to try my chances at not having to wait another half-year to continue school. I have not ruled out UT ( somewhat of a reach with my stats) or UH and would actually be better off going to a public school in TX due to the Hazlewood Act tuition exemption for veterans. I will apply to those if I don't hear get accepted to Baylor by the Sept-Oct timeframe for those apps. My thinking was that starting law school 8 months sooner ( albeit at a private school - Baylor) might be a better decision than waiting but going to school for cheaper at a public school. Does anyone agree?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
sheesh man, I meant to put CCN* instead of CC. Even if I just said HYS or even Y for that matter, there's no need to be a dick about it.
If I remember correctly Y was one of the schools that cared less about retakes than most other T14s. I have seen the HYSCC thing before and I thought you were just perpetuating that.

When we echo into the chamber I'm just a big fan of information over misinformation is all.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:13 pm

grungy89 wrote:
che3055 wrote:Baylor will not average your scores. I spoke with dean of admissions at an LSAC forum last cycle. They will take your highest score, and if I recall, they didn't even want to see an addendum.

Thanks for the info. Not many on here seem to encourage going to Baylor. I am graduating this Dec. and saw that Baylor offered Spring Admissions so I decided to try my chances at not having to wait another half-year to continue school. I have not ruled out UT ( somewhat of a reach with my stats) or UH and would actually be better off going to a public school in TX due to the Hazlewood Act tuition exemption for veterans. I will apply to those if I don't hear get accepted to Baylor by the Sept-Oct timeframe for those apps. My thinking was that starting law school 8 months sooner ( albeit at a private school - Baylor) might be a better decision than waiting but going to school for cheaper at a public school. Does anyone agree?
I whole-heartedly disagree. Go to the best school that you can as cheap as humanly possible.

In a vacuum Baylor is not a great choice over a school like UH and especially if it's more expensive.

che3055

New

Post by che3055 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:57 pm

BigZuck wrote:
grungy89 wrote:Thanks for the info. Not many on here seem to encourage going to Baylor. I am graduating this Dec. and saw that Baylor offered Spring Admissions so I decided to try my chances at not having to wait another half-year to continue school. I have not ruled out UT ( somewhat of a reach with my stats) or UH and would actually be better off going to a public school in TX due to the Hazlewood Act tuition exemption for veterans. I will apply to those if I don't hear get accepted to Baylor by the Sept-Oct timeframe for those apps. My thinking was that starting law school 8 months sooner ( albeit at a private school - Baylor) might be a better decision than waiting but going to school for cheaper at a public school. Does anyone agree?
I whole-heartedly disagree. Go to the best school that you can as cheap as humanly possible.

In a vacuum Baylor is not a great choice over a school like UH and especially if it's more expensive.
I also disagree entirely. You will be SO much better off in the long term (probably in the short term too, who wants to live in Waco?) if you wait the extra few months. You could take that extra time to study for the LSAT, get a better score, and make UT a much more realistic possibility. Not only could this land you at a school where your employment prospects will be far better, but you could also end up paying much less money for a much better school.

Why are you rushing to start so early? Think about it this way - non-discounted cost at Baylor is about 239k, while it is about 165k (assuming you're a TX resident) at UH (both figures from LST). If you would do literally nothing for 8 months except wait for the next fall to roll around, you just saved yourself 75k by going to UH over Baylor. That doesn't even include any money you could earn by working, doesn't even consider the possibility of retaking and going to UT or either Baylor/UH for free, and ignores the fact that you might enjoy having 8 months off.

Also, I agree that too with BigZuck that UH is probably a better choice over Baylor. Have you ever seen Law School Transparency? It's a good resource to see stats on how graduates from various schools are being employed, what types of jobs they're getting, etc.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=baylor
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=houston
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=texas

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:00 pm

grungy89 wrote:My thinking was that starting law school 8 months sooner ( albeit at a private school - Baylor) might be a better decision than waiting but going to school for cheaper at a public school. Does anyone agree?
Absolutely not. Going to a more expensive school with employment prospects markedly worse than those of other schools you're considering just so you can start earlier makes no sense at all. And that's without even mentioning the uniquely and needlessly hellish Baylor Law "experience." Use the extra time off to study for the LSAT for a retake.

Do not go to Baylor. Read this informative thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &p=6139995.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:09 pm

grungy89 wrote:

Literally no one here will agree with this. It's the exact opposite of the right thing to do. Seriously look at the law school transparency links that were just posted. Might be eye opening for you.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:16 pm

grungy89 wrote:

This must be a joke. No one could be this clueless. Graduating in december and starting LS immediately after at a TTT private as a veteran is quite literally the most idiotic thing you could do

Gator_Bait

New

Post by Gator_Bait » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:41 pm

grungy89 wrote:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”