Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mrclayton

Postby mrclayton » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:58 am

p
Last edited by mrclayton on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

nebula666

Re: 3.38/ 170 weak softs non urm

Postby nebula666 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:23 pm

You are a lock for GULC RD. Also in at Michigan, NU, Cornell. You'll be looking at close to sticker from all of these.

If you are going to ED, you'll be competitive at NYU, and Penn. Could get waitlisted from either though. Outside chance of getting into CLS off the waitlist if you ED.

Do you want biglaw? If not, I'd consider taking $$$ at a lower ranked school in the area in which you want to work. Vanderbilt will probably give you the most money to ranking value of any school in the T30.

If you do want biglaw, it's going to be a gamble.

You should retake anyway if you haven't taken the LSAT three times. 3 more points will net you $100k at GULC and may open up Columbia.

mrclayton

Postby mrclayton » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:36 pm

p
Last edited by mrclayton on Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:48 pm

nebula666 wrote:You are a lock for GULC RD. Also in at Michigan, NU, Cornell. You'll be looking at close to sticker from all of these.

If you are going to ED, you'll be competitive at NYU, and Penn. Could get waitlisted from either though. Outside chance of getting into CLS off the waitlist if you ED.

Do you want biglaw? If not, I'd consider taking $$$ at a lower ranked school in the area in which you want to work. Vanderbilt will probably give you the most money to ranking value of any school in the T30.

If you do want biglaw, it's going to be a gamble.

You should retake anyway if you haven't taken the LSAT three times. 3 more points will net you $100k at GULC and may open up Columbia.

I think virtually all of this is overly optimistic. He's really not a "lock" for any T14 with RD, and ED to CLS and NYU gives little to no advantage over RD. For the T14, only an ED app to UVA essentially guarantees acceptance with these numbers.

Furthermore, while I agree that a retake resulting in a 173+ would be a big help, there is almost no place for language like "X more points will net you $100K" when it comes to scholarships at a particular school (the possible exceptions being WUSTL and UMN this year). Scholarship results are far from guaranteed almost anywhere. There are 3.8+/175+ applicants who get minimal merit aid offers from Columbia; others get Hamiltons and Butlers. The right numbers put you in play for big money, but they don't come close to guaranteeing anything -- especially at a place as stingy as GULC.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:06 am

mrclayton wrote:My goal is to get big law in NYC. I don't see how im a lock at any of those schools considering my gpa is way below median and LSAT is at median or barely above. I also scored at the higher end of my practice test range so I'm not sure if I can realistically improve 3 points.

How long did you prep and what were your methods? If you want to get NYC BigLaw, you really should retake. Three more points would dramatically boost your chances for NYU and Penn, as well as for all of your other splitter-friendly T14 options.

Is Fordham a bad option for NYC? It seems to have a good reputation but they dropped a lot of places in the rankings although I'm not sure how much that matters

Stay away from Fordham. Its placement is not terrible, but it will cost you far more than the employment prospects it offers are worth. COA for Fordham is among the most expensive anywhere, and Fordham doesn't give out particularly large scholarships. Debt-financing sticker cost would leave you with $290K of debt at repayment (tuition, cost of living, and interest that accumulates during your time in law school). A $75K scholarship is the most you could realistically hope for, and that would still leave you with $200K at repayment. Anything remotely close to that is an insane amount of money to spend on Fordham.

mrclayton

Postby mrclayton » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:31 am

I prepped for three months with one very intense month of studying. I used testmasters online course which consisted of a lot of drilling by question type. Ill probably retake but I'm nervous a lower score may hurt me. Is there any evidence that October is easier or harder than June? I didnt consider uva as an option cause of their gpa numbers. I may ED UVA if everywhere else is so uncertain and just tough it out in Charlottesville with the hopes of coming back to NYC.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:01 am

That's a decent amount of studying, but two so-so months and one very intense month of studying is not enough for most people to reach their scoring potential. TM is one of the good courses, but you have to commit yourself to going through most or all of the supplemental materials they give you. Drilling by type is good, but if you're not practicing with the individual test sections and full-length PTs they provide, it is not nearly enough.

A lower score won't hurt you. Schools want your 170, and nobody averages anymore, no matter what they say. All tests are equated to be of equal difficulty to the testing population in the aggregate, so there's no statistical advantage to taking the test in any particular month.

UVA achieves its GPA and LSAT numbers by accepting high numbers of splitters and reverse-splitters. If you are above one median at UVA and are not catastrophically far below the other median, your chances are good. For instance, if you have a 3.8 and a 169, you're probably screwed at UVA, but if you have a 3.3/170 or a 3.9/165, your odds are much better -- and you're essentially a lock if you apply ED.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:12 am

NYC firms, unlike smaller regional markets, will hire throughout the T13. I would target Cornell (which places predominantly in new york) with NU as a splitter friendly backup. As Ti Malice pointed out, retaking would be necessary for a solid shot at Penn and NYU (although a few 3.4/170 snuck in at sticker this year). Honestly though, unless you are k-jd (in which case finishing senior year and applying after is always TCR), applying this year with a 170 wouldnt be the worst thing. CCNP give you a ~+10% margin for nyc biglaw over NU/Cornell, but they would definitely be at sticker and they are never a sure bet with that gpa. 170 is a solid score

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:15 am

Just saw you're still raising your GPA. More important than all this lsat talk: don't fucking apply to law school this fall. Wait for fall 2014. Get a job in a field you like and focus on straight As your senior yr to reverse that downward trend. Waiting seems like a bitch, but I did it, and tons have, and Im far more pleased with the result. Quit varsity, focus on your grades, and raise to a 3.45 if possible to get the best chance at admission to law school. Anything else would be incredibly stupid.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:24 am

jbagelboy wrote:Just saw you're still raising your GPA. More important than all this lsat talk: don't fucking apply to law school this fall. Wait for fall 2014. Get a job in a field you like and focus on straight As your senior yr to reverse that downward trend. Waiting seems like a bitch, but I did it, and tons have, and Im far more pleased with the result. Quit varsity, focus on your grades, and raise to a 3.45 if possible to get the best chance at admission to law school. Anything else would be incredibly stupid.

I think I'm guilty of reading the thread title but not the post. I second all of the above.

mrclayton

Postby mrclayton » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:22 pm

p

Return to “What are my chances?”