Another Splitter -- 3.2x / 176 ED or no?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
stickershocked

Another Splitter -- 3.2x / 176 ED or no?

Postby stickershocked » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:42 pm

My first take was in June. I'm 3+ years out of UG at a top LAC. Above average softs in UG (some volunteering, 2 year varsity athlete). Probably average to above-average LORs from profs and slightly above-average LORs from employers. Work experience in non-profit policy org. for 1.5 years and am currently working at V5 law firm as paralegal in major market. Interested in Federal Clerkship --> Biglaw.

I've looked through LSN for stats like mine, and have been equal parts encouraged and discouraged. It's tough to get much of an idea of your odds when you're looking at 4 data points. Top schools are Columbia, NYU and Penn. In short, my dilemma is whether or not to ED, what (if any) odds I would have if I do ED, and what (if any) odds I would have at money below these top choices.

Any knowledge you can share outside of the conventional LSN graphs would be much appreciated.

elterrible78

Re: Another Splitter -- 3.2x / 176 ED or no?

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:47 pm

stickershocked wrote:My first take was in June. I'm 3+ years out of UG at a top LAC. Above average softs in UG (some volunteering, 2 year varsity athlete). Probably average to above-average LORs from profs and slightly above-average LORs from employers. Work experience in non-profit policy org. for 1.5 years and am currently working at V5 law firm as paralegal in major market. Interested in Federal Clerkship --> Biglaw.

I've looked through LSN for stats like mine, and have been equal parts encouraged and discouraged. It's tough to get much of an idea of your odds when you're looking at 4 data points. Top schools are Columbia, NYU and Penn. In short, my dilemma is whether or not to ED, what (if any) odds I would have if I do ED, and what (if any) odds I would have at money below these top choices.

Any knowledge you can share outside of the conventional LSN graphs would be much appreciated.

Based on my analysis of LSN data (which, frankly, is about the best we have), it's not worth EDing to any of these schools, because there is no statistically significant advantage for applying ED to any of them (Penn gives an ED boost, but not to splitters). Even applying as early as possible RD to Columbia and NYU doesn't help, although at Penn it makes a HUGE difference to apply as early as possible if you're an splitter applying RD.

stickershocked

Postby stickershocked » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:49 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
stickershocked wrote:My first take was in June. I'm 3+ years out of UG at a top LAC. Above average softs in UG (some volunteering, 2 year varsity athlete). Probably average to above-average LORs from profs and slightly above-average LORs from employers. Work experience in non-profit policy org. for 1.5 years and am currently working at V5 law firm as paralegal in major market. Interested in Federal Clerkship --> Biglaw.

Based on my analysis of LSN data (which, frankly, is about the best we have), it's not worth EDing to any of these schools, because there is no statistically significant advantage for applying ED to any of them (Penn gives an ED boost, but not to splitters). Even applying as early as possible RD to Columbia and NYU doesn't help, although at Penn it makes a HUGE difference to apply as early as possible if you're an splitter applying RD.

Oh man. Just found your website for the first time. This will keep me occupied for hours. Thanks for the info.

I really just find it baffling that the likeliest outcomes for someone with low 3.x / 170-172 look to be pretty much the same as someone with low 3.x / 175+. With that low of a gpa, are the additional points of LSAT practically worthless? If so, I certainly wasted a lot of time studying...

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:57 pm

I can't speak for NYU or Columbia, but 3.3+/170+ is basically auto admit at Penn with ED (check LSN). With a 176, I imagine you'd be in even with a 3.2x.

stickershocked

Postby stickershocked » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:03 pm

Reviving my own thread because I'm neurotic.

Right now my plan is ED NYU b/c it's my top choice and I'd be willing to pay sticker, then blanketing the rest of the T-14. Am I being overly optimistic about my chances at NYU?

twenty

Postby twenty » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:10 am

I wouldn't. You have an okay (about 30%) chance at Columbia, a small chance of getting money at NYU, and a fairly substantial chance of getting Northwestern with money.

If you're going to ED anywhere for round 1, I'd make it Columbia. It's not going to help you, really, but it will DEFINITELY help you get off the waitlist if they waitlist you, (which they probably will.)

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:06 am

stickershocked wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:

Oh man. Just found your website for the first time. This will keep me occupied for hours. Thanks for the info.

I really just find it baffling that the likeliest outcomes for someone with low 3.x / 170-172 look to be pretty much the same as someone with low 3.x / 175+. With that low of a gpa, are the additional points of LSAT practically worthless? If so, I certainly wasted a lot of time studying...

For CLS, the extra LSAT pts are certainly not worthless. CLS will not admit a sub-3.4/172, whereas there have been the occasional super splitter with over 75th LSAT (175+). Sometimes this occurs off reserve.

Your 176 wont mean much at Penn, but it could at NYU/CLS

Return to “What are my chances?”