Military Enlisted Service as a soft

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
erik the viking

Military Enlisted Service as a soft

Postby erik the viking » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:09 am

I am applying for 2014. I am currently active duty military. I am trying to figure out how I should be thinking about my Military service in the construction of a personal narrative. I am interested to know what people's thoughts are on the preference of different law schools for people with a military background, perceptions, etc. Thanks.

Ramius

Re: Military Enlisted Service as a soft

Postby Ramius » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:15 am

Only you can answer the question of how to compose your PS on anything. Law schools aren't specifically looking for anything from a veteran, so there is no right or wrong answer. What you should be doing is thinking about how your experiences (in the military or otherwise) have affected your life and its trajectory. How has it made you a better person? Are there any specific experiences you can tie in to your desire to go to law school? Did the military help you mature and improve yourself in some way that is tangible and demonstrable? These are just a sample set of questions that might help you frame your PS.

For a reference point, being a fellow veteran, I framed my PS around losing a man under my command and having to respond to my troops' concerns and how that helped me learn and grow as a young and inexperienced leader. That's just one example, obviously, but hopefully this helps in some way!

Good luck!

erik the viking

Re: Military Enlisted Service as a soft

Postby erik the viking » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:28 am

Thanks, that's really helpful.

Return to “What are my chances?”