3.76/165

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
before2day
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:08 pm

3.76/165

Postby before2day » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Hey all,

So the 165 is a retake from a 161.

A couple things I wanted to confirm before I go ahead and try once more for a better score (I had tested at a 168-172 consistently before blowing it on the real exam):

I withdrew from my first undergrad institution due to health problems- didn't take any of my finals and received failing grades. After bouncing back from this period, I did well in CC and transferred to a 4 yr school. In between, I chalked it up with the Dean at my previous school to drop the F's to W's, which aided my transfer applications significantly as you can imagine.

However, I still have an Academic Action noted on my transcript and I'm wondering if this is directly in connection with receiving the F's and being placed on Academic Probation. Can I contact the school and ask to see what this AA notice on my transcript is about? I realize I will need to obtain Dean's Cert's for this...

Given this information and my scores of 161, 165, even if I score at or above the median for T14 schools (ones who don't average) and if my GPA is at or above median, do I have a good chance at being admitted given the C and F ding?

My dream school is Boalt (I know my GPA is crap for them), in fact I'm not sure I'd go elsewhere as I am determined to practice environmental law, but knowing my chances before I commit to another period of LSAT doom and destruction will definitely help me decide if I am shooting for the stars or if my dream is actually attainable.

Maybe I should re-evaluate, apply early to schools outside the T14 with my 161 and 165, and hope to get in at USC and UCLA off the waitlist? I just don't see this being a great option for me, seeing as the financial aid allowances will be sparse if/when I'm admitted.

Other notes: Not a URM.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: 3.76/165

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:30 am

before2day wrote:Hey all,

So the 165 is a retake from a 161.

A couple things I wanted to confirm before I go ahead and try once more for a better score (I had tested at a 168-172 consistently before blowing it on the real exam):

I withdrew from my first undergrad institution due to health problems- didn't take any of my finals and received failing grades. After bouncing back from this period, I did well in CC and transferred to a 4 yr school. In between, I chalked it up with the Dean at my previous school to drop the F's to W's, which aided my transfer applications significantly as you can imagine.

However, I still have an Academic Action noted on my transcript and I'm wondering if this is directly in connection with receiving the F's and being placed on Academic Probation. Can I contact the school and ask to see what this AA notice on my transcript is about? I realize I will need to obtain Dean's Cert's for this...

Given this information and my scores of 161, 165, even if I score at or above the median for T14 schools (ones who don't average) and if my GPA is at or above median, do I have a good chance at being admitted given the C and F ding?

My dream school is Boalt (I know my GPA is crap for them), in fact I'm not sure I'd go elsewhere as I am determined to practice environmental law, but knowing my chances before I commit to another period of LSAT doom and destruction will definitely help me decide if I am shooting for the stars or if my dream is actually attainable.

Maybe I should re-evaluate, apply early to schools outside the T14 with my 161 and 165, and hope to get in at USC and UCLA off the waitlist? I just don't see this being a great option for me, seeing as the financial aid allowances will be sparse if/when I'm admitted.

Other notes: Not a URM.


You want Boalt? Retake and reapply next cycle.

before2day
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: 3.76/165

Postby before2day » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:33 am

Would you recommend taking the exam in October and applying this upcoming cycle? Or provided that I am only a year removed from undergrad, working a bit longer and applying in the 14-15 cycle? by the way, I love your avi. I'm a huge fan of the show. Actually met Jamie Hector one day... he was walking by himself and I ran up to him and shouted "Marlo, whats up man!"

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: 3.76/165

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:51 am

before2day wrote:Would you recommend taking the exam in October and applying this upcoming cycle? Or provided that I am only a year removed from undergrad, working a bit longer and applying in the 14-15 cycle? by the way, I love your avi. I'm a huge fan of the show. Actually met Jamie Hector one day... he was walking by himself and I ran up to him and shouted "Marlo, whats up man!"


Thanks for showing Idris some love. As far as LSAT retake timing, you should take it whenever you feel ready--that very well may be October. It sounds like you were consistently PTing above Boalt's 167 median, so if I were you, I would retake in October and apply this coming cycle. Don't settle for USC and UCLA when Boalt is within reach.

That being said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking a year off. Law school isn't going anywhere.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 3.76/165

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:09 pm

Your GPA isnt too low for Cal. Get a 170 LSAT and numbers wont be what stop you.

Their admissions arent always predictable, so you'll need a strong application in other areas -- PS, LoRs, compelling WE/law ambition. Best of luck

before2day
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: 3.76/165

Postby before2day » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:03 pm

thanks for the replies, looking forward to my retake.

I was just looking to get more advice pertaining to applying to Boalt in general and whether or not the C and F ding for academic action will put me at a disadvantage for admission?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 3.76/165

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:02 pm

before2day wrote:thanks for the replies, looking forward to my retake.

I was just looking to get more advice pertaining to applying to Boalt in general and whether or not the C and F ding for academic action will put me at a disadvantage for admission?


C & F issues always can cause a problem depending on their severity and how well you deal with it. Definitely write an addendum explaining factually what happened and how its wrong, not explaining why its not your fault. Asha wrote a good blog post on C&F this year you should look at for further questions




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 5 guests