3.58 / 172

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
septimushodge

3.58 / 172

Postby septimushodge » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:07 pm

Hello! I have a 3.58 LSAC UGPA and a 172 LSAT score (second try; I withdrew the first time I took it, which was several years ago). I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me re: my current stats, and whether retaking the LSAT for a third time could be a good idea.

A few things about my application:
I have a lot of pass/fail courses on my transcript - they don't affect my GPA, but perhaps adcomms would look at my transcript with a raised eyebrow? I also have a lower LSAC GPA than my actual because of an F on my transcript that I retook for a much better grade (I accidentally neglected to drop a course that I'd stopped attending, and because my undergrad did grade replacement for grades of C- or worse I decided to just retake the course instead of petitioning to have the grade removed ... yes, I made some awful decisions in undergrad, but nothing I can do about this now). Should I submit an addendum explaining the F?

I'm currently finishing up a masters. My grades in my program are rather mediocre. I know law schools mainly focus on the undergraduate GPA but perhaps my MS grades could hurt me; if anyone could offer some input on this that'd be great.

Softs: undergraduate research, international experience in the finance sector, but nothing spectacular.

My goals - pretty nebulous right now; patent law intrigues me but i don't have the background for it. None of my family is living in the states and I spent a large portion of my life outside the US so I don't have significant ties anywhere, and am very open location-wise. I'm aiming for schools that give me the chance to repay student loans in a timely manner post-graduation, which means T-14 or possibly T-20 with significant scholarships.

I hope I've covered everything ... any help, advice, and input would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

edit to add: non-URM, decent letters of rec.

nebula666

Re: 3.58 / 172

Postby nebula666 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:24 pm

Retaking will only increase your chances at CLS and slightly increase your money in the lower T14. You are very likely out at Harvard even with a 180.

With your numbers you are looking at 50/50 between admit and WL at Columbia, Penn, and UVA. You should be a lock at NYU, Michigan, Duke, NU, Cornell, and GULC. Out at Berkeley.

septimushodge

Re: 3.58 / 172

Postby septimushodge » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:32 am

nebula666 wrote:Retaking will only increase your chances at CLS and slightly increase your money in the lower T14. You are very likely out at Harvard even with a 180.

With your numbers you are looking at 50/50 between admit and WL at Columbia, Penn, and UVA. You should be a lock at NYU, Michigan, Duke, NU, Cornell, and GULC. Out at Berkeley.

Thank you for your input! Yeah, I assumed HYS would be impossible with my GPA no matter what, but it's very encouraging to know you think NYU is likely with my current numbers. Even a slight increase in $ would be a big help though, so I think I might as well sign up for that October LSAT...

Return to “What are my chances?”