. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Re: 4.04/180

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:01 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:If I was in his shoes, I would only apply to Yale, Harvard, Stanford and Columbia (and maybe Chicago/NYU).
Oh jeebus, not more of your cretinous YHSC trolling, please.
As a future CLS grad, I feel compelled to stress this at every opportunity: YHSC is a fucking flame in any context.

DwightSchruteFarms

Bronze

Post by DwightSchruteFarms » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:16 pm

Apply to med school

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:29 pm

Thanks to some of the helpful comments. When I first asked him he did say biglaw, but I really don't think he has thought it out at all.

Meanwhile, I told him to focus on writing his personal statement. I recommended a formulation of: some type of major struggle, how he overcame it, how it made him better, and how he now is driven to help others. But, with less cheese than it sounds.

Luckily, he is not a super boring kid and has actually had a little life experience. He is still really young though.

I know he has stellar chances. I would hate for him to end up deciding, for example, that he really wants to go to Yale, and then gets the rejected because of something within his control.

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:58 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:ED U of Richmond and hope for the best
I lol'ed

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:08 pm

Last edited by guinness1547 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:08 pm

Having great numbers isn't by itself a good reason to attend law school (even YHS). Sounds to me like your friend could really benefit from taking two or three years to work, travel, mature, figure out what interests him in life, etc. Law school will still be there.

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:45 am

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:Thanks to some of the helpful comments. When I first asked him he did say biglaw, but I really don't think he has thought it out at all.

Meanwhile, I told him to focus on writing his personal statement. I recommended a formulation of: some type of major struggle, how he overcame it, how it made him better, and how he now is driven to help others. But, with less cheese than it sounds.

Luckily, he is not a super boring kid and has actually had a little life experience. He is still really young though.

I know he has stellar chances. I would hate for him to end up deciding, for example, that he really wants to go to Yale, and then gets the rejected because of something within his control.
Serious advice: have him read through Asha's 203 blog, particularly if he wants Yale. I believe there is a post talking about why the "overcoming adversity" PS is not the best approach.

Xixak

Bronze

Post by Xixak » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:55 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:This is for a friend.
I'm so tired of seeing this crap. This is 2013, your friend has a computer.

Obviously this is for your own sake.

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Maybe its an uber-covert humblebrag attempt... I doubt it, because people that score that high are usually very proud of their accomplishments.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:18 pm

cerealdan wrote:
UnderrateOverachieve wrote:Thanks to some of the helpful comments. When I first asked him he did say biglaw, but I really don't think he has thought it out at all.

Serious advice: have him read through Asha's 203 blog, particularly if he wants Yale. I believe there is a post talking about why the "overcoming adversity" PS is not the best approach.
+1 to this. Asha does a good job of explaining how "overcoming adversity" is very hard to use as the center of your PS. She also does a good job of explaining everything else about applying... just go read her whole blog.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:20 pm

This makes me want to retake my 174. In fact this whole forum makes me feel like my score isn't good enough, but then again I dream of getting into Yale lol.

mqt

Gold

Post by mqt » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:51 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Fine, I don't mean to bite anyone's head off. But the tips for maximizing the strength of your application are the same for this kid as for anyone else, and I assume it's all been stickied somewhere in another forum.

It's already been covered that it was misplaced in the "What Are My Chances" board. I was just emphasizing that Harvard is actually the worst-case scenario here. OP's friend could write about the time he carjacked someone and he'd still be fine.

Who gets WL'd at Chicago with a 180/4.0? Did he murder a dude?

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:01 pm

Mqt wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Fine, I don't mean to bite anyone's head off. But the tips for maximizing the strength of your application are the same for this kid as for anyone else, and I assume it's all been stickied somewhere in another forum.

It's already been covered that it was misplaced in the "What Are My Chances" board. I was just emphasizing that Harvard is actually the worst-case scenario here. OP's friend could write about the time he carjacked someone and he'd still be fine.

That's not me (no LSN), but those bastards WL'd me with stats in that selected range.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:29 am

Ti Malice wrote:
Mqt wrote:

That's not me (no LSN), but those bastards WL'd me with stats in that selected range.
Humblebrag alert! Acceptable if you're a Yale grad who still helps people out on TLS :D

In the search of looking for that waitlist, I found this guy, who had literally the worst cycle I've ever seen.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:55 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
In the search of looking for that waitlist, I found this guy, who had literally the worst cycle I've ever seen.
Wow, that's amazing (in a sort of 'trials of Job / trainwreck' kind of way.) Makes me wonder if there's a 'rest of the story' there?

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:09 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
Wow, that's amazing (in a sort of 'trials of Job / trainwreck' kind of way.) Makes me wonder if there's a 'rest of the story' there?
I'm guessing the music major/3-4years of no WE after ls didn't help at YHS, and he had some sort of major flaw in his application to CC and was YP'd at B

Huey Freeman

Bronze

Post by Huey Freeman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:04 pm

It's kind of weird how people with 176-177 do better than the 179-180s, from my limited observation.

Pretty sure this means that that even 180s should retake DOWN a few points, just so colleges don't think they're *too* smart or something. TCR is always RETAKE, even with 180.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:19 pm

Huey Freeman wrote:It's kind of weird how people with 176-177 do better than the 179-180s, from my limited observation.

Pretty sure this means that that even 180s should retake DOWN a few points, just so colleges don't think they're *too* smart or something. TCR is always RETAKE, even with 180.
Don't know where you got that idea from. A higher score is always better, in any imaginable circumstance save for a YP. Any appearance to the contrary is probably a result of small sample size, particularly among the 179-180 group.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:33 pm

Huey Freeman wrote:TCR is always RETAKE, even with 180.
I'd love to meet someone with three 180s. I would name my children after him/her.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:35 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
I'd love to meet someone with three 180s. I would name my children after him/her.
So I take it you'll name them Robin?

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Lavitz wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
What is that 48?

Nevermind, just read the bottom part.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:02 pm

Lavitz wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
I should have clarified: Anyone who takes the LSAT exactly three times--scoring a 180 each time--for the sole purpose of applying to and attending law school (and then actually attends / graduates) will be the namesake of my children.

But Robin is still an impressive bro.

mqt

Gold

Post by mqt » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:51 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
I should have clarified: Anyone who takes the LSAT exactly three times--scoring a 180 each time--for the sole purpose of applying to and attending law school (and then actually attends / graduates) will be the namesake of my children.

But Robin is still an impressive bro.
Reported to Robin Singh's lawyers for referencing his accomplishments without permission.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:10 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
Mqt wrote:

Humblebrag alert! Acceptable if you're a Yale grad who still helps people out on TLS :D

Haha, touché. Didn't mean to come across that way, but I should just shut up.

Not a grad, by the way. I'm just a year ahead of you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”