169/3.98 T6?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Techsan23
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:21 pm

169/3.98 T6?

Postby Techsan23 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:54 pm

.
Last edited by Techsan23 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9637
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 169/3.98 T6?

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:01 pm

There is a chance at both Harvard and Columbia, most likely off the WL when they are trying to even out a GPA median, also Stanford with your GPA.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: 169/3.98 T6?

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:02 pm

They don't average LSATs, but the old scores may be seen as a small negative soft. Goodluck on your retake.

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: 169/3.98 T6?

Postby nebula666 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:07 pm

I think you are a almost a lock for NYU down barred some horrible part of your application. Chicago will be 50/50 between waitlist and accept but you won't get dinged. Some may disagree but you actually have a better shot at Stanford than Columbia with your current numbers.

Hopefully you get 2 more points and lock up Harvard + Full ride at other T14. Good luck!

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: 169/3.98 T6?

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:22 pm

Also, am I out of the running at Harvard and Columbia with a 3rd take? I'm hearing they still average.


No, not out of the running with 3 takes. Worth your while to retake anyway since you probably arn't getting in with those numbers anyway. Worst case, you score lower and these schools will still view you as a 169.

If you apply with a 169/3.98, slim (maybe 5-10%) chance at H and almost no chance at Columbia. Apply with a 171/3.98 and you'd likely get both.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: 169/3.98 T6?

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:32 pm

nebula666 wrote:Some may disagree but you actually have a better shot at Stanford than Columbia with your current numbers.

just because the numbers match up doesn't mean the chances are better.

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: 169/3.98 T6?

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:41 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
nebula666 wrote:Some may disagree but you actually have a better shot at Stanford than Columbia with your current numbers.

just because the numbers match up doesn't mean the chances are better.


Think the point is Columbia is all about numbers, and 169 has almost no chance. S is all about ? and high GPAs, hence better (but not good) chance at S than C.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: 169/3.98 T6?

Postby soj » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:58 pm

Schools don't average. Most schools don't even say they average, preferring vague lies about holistic review. It's mostly prelaw advisers who say things like schools average scores, and you should automatically assume it's wrong along with everything else the advisers tell you. Completely disabuse yourself of the notion that adcoms are telling the truth or that advisers know wtf they're talking about. Averaging is a myth perpetuated to make the admissions process seem less harshly numbers-based.

Techsan23
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:21 pm

Re: 169/3.98 T6?

Postby Techsan23 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Thank you for the replies! Glad to hear I still have a shot.

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: 169/3.98 T6?

Postby LexLeon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:56 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Also, am I out of the running at Harvard and Columbia with a 3rd take? I'm hearing they still average.


No, not out of the running with 3 takes. Worth your while to retake anyway since you probably arn't getting in with those numbers anyway. Worst case, you score lower and these schools will still view you as a 169.

If you apply with a 169/3.98, slim (maybe 5-10%) chance at H and almost no chance at Columbia. Apply with a 171/3.98 and you'd likely get both.


I wonder where you could have possibly acquired the "slim (maybe 5-10%) chance" of Techsan23's admission to HLS.

"LSN," simply, would not be an adequate reply.

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: 169/3.98 T6?

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:45 pm

LexLeon wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Also, am I out of the running at Harvard and Columbia with a 3rd take? I'm hearing they still average.


No, not out of the running with 3 takes. Worth your while to retake anyway since you probably arn't getting in with those numbers anyway. Worst case, you score lower and these schools will still view you as a 169.

If you apply with a 169/3.98, slim (maybe 5-10%) chance at H and almost no chance at Columbia. Apply with a 171/3.98 and you'd likely get both.


I wonder where you could have possibly acquired the "slim (maybe 5-10%) chance" of Techsan23's admission to HLS.

"LSN," simply, would not be an adequate reply.


LSN. If you know of a better method for predicting admissions, I and the TLS community are all ears.

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: 169/3.98 T6?

Postby LexLeon » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:30 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
LexLeon wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Also, am I out of the running at Harvard and Columbia with a 3rd take? I'm hearing they still average.


No, not out of the running with 3 takes. Worth your while to retake anyway since you probably arn't getting in with those numbers anyway. Worst case, you score lower and these schools will still view you as a 169.

If you apply with a 169/3.98, slim (maybe 5-10%) chance at H and almost no chance at Columbia. Apply with a 171/3.98 and you'd likely get both.


I wonder where you could have possibly acquired the "slim (maybe 5-10%) chance" of Techsan23's admission to HLS.

"LSN," simply, would not be an adequate reply.


LSN. If you know of a better method for predicting admissions, I and the TLS community are all ears.


I asked you "where you could have possibly acquired the 'slim (maybe 5-10%) chance' of Techsan23's admission to HLS."

(Is that a question you can answer?)

Also, I didn't suggest that I know "a better method for predicting admissions."

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: 169/3.98 T6?

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:19 pm

This is the once-in-a-blue-moon applicant who has a better chance at Stanford than at Columbia. That doesn't happen unless you have pretty much exactly these numbers--3.9x/169 (maybe 168 with special softs).

OP should reach for Stanford and target UChi $$.

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: 169/3.98 T6?

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:41 pm

LexLeon wrote:
LexLeon wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Also, am I out of the running at Harvard and Columbia with a 3rd take? I'm hearing they still average.


No, not out of the running with 3 takes. Worth your while to retake anyway since you probably arn't getting in with those numbers anyway. Worst case, you score lower and these schools will still view you as a 169.

If you apply with a 169/3.98, slim (maybe 5-10%) chance at H and almost no chance at Columbia. Apply with a 171/3.98 and you'd likely get both.


I wonder where you could have possibly acquired the "slim (maybe 5-10%) chance" of Techsan23's admission to HLS.

"LSN," simply, would not be an adequate reply.


LSN. If you know of a better method for predicting admissions, I and the TLS community are all ears.

I asked you "where you could have possibly acquired the 'slim (maybe 5-10%) chance' of Techsan23's admission to HLS."

(Is that a question you can answer?)

Also, I didn't suggest that I know "a better method for predicting admissions."


I'm sorry to clutter OP's thread with responses to your idiotic questions so I'll make it brief: if you look at LSN, which is the best source we have for predicting admissions (as you acknowledge), you'll notice about 3-5 people get in with similar stats and over 20 more getting rejected.

Re: how I quantified 5-10, LSN is how. myLSN says 15% but I think that's too optimistic for two reasons: 1) there are more 169/high GPAs rejected than accepted, and the former probably underreport their rejections or just leave them pending on LSN 2) the distinction between a 3.98 and a 4.00+ is not accurately reflected by myLSN. Most of the 169s who get into H have GPAs above (often well above) 4.0, not just above Harvard's 75th.

Again, apologies to OP for cluttering this thread but the takeaway from this exchange is that your GPA is probably not high enough to overcome the (relatively) low LSAT. One or two more points and you have a strong chance at Harvard. Best of luck in any case.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: 169/3.98 T6?

Postby twenty » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:16 pm

Every point you get above 169 DRASTICALLY increases your chances at H. 173 and you're about as close to a lock as it gets.

Take the retake seriously. ;)




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ConLaw2017, xnsch and 5 guests