What are my chances? 176+/3.5x

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: 3.59/178

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:14 pm

take off a year. you could conceivably hit the magic 3.7 mark that puts harvard in play

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 3.59/178

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:36 pm

All I would have to say is, if you are scrapping together $160 now, I would think multiple app fees, or even just the $121 for Harvard, would be uncomfortable for you. Also applying to law school takes a lot of time, time taken away from your current classes and subsequent grades, or from actually having some fun your senior year, fun you presumably missed out on as a CC student (unless Im underestimating the hookup scene at your local cc).

Further to the point, if your time/$$ are not valuable to you, I would not want to have to ask for new better LoRs; you may get into a good school (but not H) and doubt yourself and be pressured by parents/friends to just go.. Idk. Ive seen it happen. My question would be why not wait?

Aasterinian
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: 3.59/178

Postby Aasterinian » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Thank you both for you time. I just checked mylsn and compared 3.50-3.59 with 3.60-3.69 and the differences were as apparent as you indicate, especially at H. A follow up questions is this: other than application fees, what are the downsides to applying both this cycle and next (if I don't get H)?

I'm assuming that schools don't necessarily prefer to admit students who declined to attend the previous year, so I can see the downside of applying broadly this cycle while really only banking on H. However, would there be a downside to applying ONLY to H this cycle, hoping for a waitlist-->accept, but applying broadly (including a reapplication to H) next cycle if I don't get in?

Also, downsides of applying broadly both cycles (again, excluding app fees)?


I'm a 0L, so take this with a grain of salt. But afaik the TLS consensus is that applying twice doesn't necessarily hurt you -- but schools do want to see noticeable differences in your applications between cycles. I think, for instance, it looks bad if you don't rewrite your PS/DS during your second application. I was told by an admissions officer at Chicago that this is because adcoms usually have an apparent bias in favor of their original decision -- meaning that, once a school has rejected you, they often look for more of a justification to admit you than they would have if it had been your only application.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: 3.59/178

Postby Pneumonia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:47 pm

jbagelboy wrote: My question would be why not wait?


My motives for applying this cycle are:
-graduating LS a year earlier/starting my career a year earlier
-avoiding the regret that may come if I wait the year, apply to H, and get rejected.
-taking advantage of the current "buyers market" (where the students are buyers) in LS admissions, and again, not wanting to regret applying in 2 years if the market adjusts via schools becoming accustomed to the "new normal" and subsequently giving out less $$ for my LSAT, which to be fair, is the strongest part of my app.

I'm listing these to show my thought process, not to explicitly disagree with your recommendation. It seems pretty solid, I'm just trying to get all the info before deciding. I seem pretty solid at some strong regionals and lower T14 this cycle, so I'm weighing whether or not the prospect of a *shot* at Harvard is worth delaying for. The input from all of you has been very valuable weighing these options.

User avatar
d330
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:30 am

Re: 3.59/178

Postby d330 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:31 am

Also, regardless of what you do about the GPA and the credits - you want to maximize your chances by crafting a good application. That starts with seeing strengths where others see flaws. Most of this post has been stressing your GPA, when you have a near perfect LSAT and worked consistently through school. You will want to make sure that you find ways to maybe speak why you did the dual enrollment in high school and how it helped shaped you as a student even if it did bring your GPA down. Maybe you do some of this in your essay, maybe it's in your personal statement - but probably, more likely, it's in an addendum.

Finally, someone up top said just be patient. I think that's not bad advice. Life is long, and waiting a year to maximize your opportunities across the board makes a lot of sense, and kind of demonstrates the prudence that you'll want to carry into what might be a 200 thousand dollar investment. People who have money to spend don't care if it is a buyer's market or a seller's market. So do you want to go into this with money to spend or hoping to get lucky? If you'll get the grades now, just apply once you have the grades. Go in with money to spin. With a story of patience and perseverance if nothing else. And still, that addendum will likely be worthwhile (even when you wait) because you'll still be essentially a 4.0 student who took a GPA hit because of the need to work your way through school, etc. Anyway, my main point is when you assess the schools, don't downplay your own worth - because if you do you might end up thinking it's the numbers that get you into school - which, given the people with great scores who didn't get in, can't be all of the case. And if you think your LSAT is the best thing you have going for you, there is going to be serious problems with your application - because already you're buying into a notion that I see as false, and all I know about you is what you've written.

User avatar
TrialLawyer16
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: 3.59/178

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:47 am

Pneumonia wrote:
jbagelboy wrote: My question would be why not wait?


My motives for applying this cycle are:
-graduating LS a year earlier/starting my career a year earlier
-avoiding the regret that may come if I wait the year, apply to H, and get rejected.
-taking advantage of the current "buyers market" (where the students are buyers) in LS admissions, and again, not wanting to regret applying in 2 years if the market adjusts via schools becoming accustomed to the "new normal" and subsequently giving out less $$ for my LSAT, which to be fair, is the strongest part of my app.

I'm listing these to show my thought process, not to explicitly disagree with your recommendation. It seems pretty solid, I'm just trying to get all the info before deciding. I seem pretty solid at some strong regionals and lower T14 this cycle, so I'm weighing whether or not the prospect of a *shot* at Harvard is worth delaying for. The input from all of you has been very valuable weighing these options.

What I think you've got to realize is you're not JUST 'delaying' for the prospect of Harvard. You'd be delaying for the prospect of Harvard AND increased scholarship opportunities everywhere else. Please believe me when I say these school's are so fickle (respectfully) that they will give a certain student with a 3.59/178 as much as $100,000 less than they would the same exact student with a 3.7/178. I'm really not exaggerating because I've seen a similar situation. It's not guaranteed at all, but it is very possible.

Secondly, you don't have to delay bc you can hedge your bets in case you don't perform as well as you thought you would your senior year by applying first this cycle. That way, come May/June you'd have a full year's grades back and if you did hit 3.7 and aren't happy with your cycle you can withdraw and apply next cycle. If you didn't increase your GPA enough, you didn't waste a year and can attend a great law school next year. And who knows, there is still the snowball's chance that you reach your ultimate goal this cycle even if your GPA did or didn't rise (full or huge scholly at UT/Duke/UVA, possibly admitted to H after your fall grades come out).

All in all looking at it this way, I actually think you've got nothing to worry about. Other than the loss of application fees this year if you do end up reapplying - you're playing with house money. Already having stats to put you in a great school at a low cost while still having a year to bump up your GPA - you're in a great spot. Just remember that you're doing this not only for Harvard, but for potentially substantially lowering the cost of law school at a school you would gone to anyway.

ETA: I forgot to address one of your concerns. You were worried how schools who already admitted you would look upon you applying to them again next year. If by May/June next year, you see your GPA has risen to say a 3.7 - you withdraw and reapply with your reasoning being that you thought your GPA had risen enough to reasonably think you'd earn scholarship (or higher scholarship) consideration from said school. Now if you had a full scholly from a certain school you'd have to come up with a different answer, but other than that I think the 'increased scholarship opportunity' reasoning is extremely understandable and no school could blame you for it. In fact, they'd probably respect the hard work, perseverance, and patience it takes to do that.

kiyoku
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 2:25 am

Re: 3.59/178 Want TX biglaw.

Postby kiyoku » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:20 am

nebula666 wrote:With your numbers you could take a full ride to UT and not have to worry about much debt or take your pick of Columbia and below. You still have a small chance at Harvard, maybe 20-30%.


i imagine it's lower than that, but i'd definitely apply HYS and down.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: What are my chances? 176+/3.5x

Postby Pneumonia » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:11 pm

wanted to update:

I did get into Harvard which I credit entirely to the current cycle. My GPA actually dropped from summer grades and then again from fall grades. It wasn't a big drop (less than .05), but still. I got a second job which made me less able to focus on school. Anyway, I'm mainly bumping this to encourage others to really study their asses of for the LSAT; there are other applicants with similar GPA/LSAT that have gotten into Harvard this cycle.

Also thanks to those who posted in this thread but especially to jbagelboy and Aasterinian for advice and to The_Specs for support.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: What are my chances? 176+/3.5x

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:21 am

Great news! Congrats!




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest