MyLSN Confusion

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
politics89

MyLSN Confusion

Postby politics89 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:23 am

So I was playing around with my LSN and got this chart. Can someone explain why UPenn and UVA are denies (technically W/L? Is this just yield protecting or am I missing something?

Also, why are chances at HLS higher than Chicago? Just based on number of data points?

http://www.mylsn.info/1ddyse

Thanks!

Nova

Re: MyLSN Confusion

Postby Nova » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:52 am

Tiny sample size + likely yp

Ti Malice

Re: MyLSN Confusion

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:14 am

Yield protection on UVA and Penn.

Chicago's results have gotten a little puzzling in recent cycles. It seems that they might be yield-protecting with applicants that have really high LSATs and strong but below-median GPAs. These people have strong odds at Harvard but are not going to get offered the Ruby, so perhaps Chicago is more cautious about admitting them. Then again, perhaps Chicago has concluded that it's not going to be able to move its 171 LSAT median upward and has instead decided to focus on improving its ranking by raising its GPA median. (That the sharp rise in GPA numbers in recent cycles coincides with the availability of the Ruby makes it difficult to separate out and weigh the different causes.) But if that's the case, then it's puzzling that they admit and WL roughly equivalent percentages of 174-180 scorers in the 3.55-3.65 range, the 3.65-3.75 range, and the 3.75-3.8 range.

Regardless, if they YP at all, they don't seem to do it much for people with really high LSAT scores and above-median GPAs. (Someone looking at my profile might say otherwise, but I think the real reason I wound up on the WL was the fact that my work history and parts of my PS -- which I didn't tailor for anyone -- pointed very strongly toward an area of law in which Chicago is, or was, surprisingly very weak.) Maybe this is because they feel confident with the Ruby card. Their overall admit/WL behavior pattern doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, really.

Return to “What are my chances?”