4.0/176 Scholarship Question

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Pancakes12

4.0/176 Scholarship Question

Postby Pancakes12 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:26 pm

Last edited by Pancakes12 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rahviveh

Re: 4.0/176 Scholarship Question

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:30 pm

Your chances are as good as anyone's

Pancakes12

Postby Pancakes12 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Last edited by Pancakes12 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:06 pm

jlb251 wrote:I was hoping for a littler more detail if possible.

I hate you too much to give you more detail. But this is more useful anyway -

http://www.mylsn.info/

Pancakes12

Postby Pancakes12 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:15 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:

Thanks, I've looked at LSN I'm just not sure how much to trus it since it relies on self-reporting.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:16 pm

jlb251 wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:

Thanks, I've looked at LSN I'm just not sure how much to trus it since it relies on self-reporting.

Yeah, and this forum is audited for accuracy daily

Vincent

Postby Vincent » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:22 pm

0L speaking.

You're on the edge of Hamilton/Butler territory at Columbia, I think. It seems there are no more Ruby's to be given out at Chicago, but Chicago does have (more) generous merit aid. You could try applying to one of the named scholarships at NYU if you have interests in specific areas (e.g. academia, PI), and have a good shot.

Lastly, if you ED to NU, you also have a good shot at the full ride.
Last edited by Vincent on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:24 pm

Vincent wrote:Lastly, if you ED to NU, you also have a good shot at the full ride.

Understatement of the decade.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:36 pm

You'll get full ride scholarship to everywhere from UChicago on down, with the Hamilton at Columbia maybe a 50/50 chance (just because there are less hammys to give out than their are 3.9+/176+ applicants). You'll also be in at Harvard. I predict you'll be making a Hamilton v Harvard thread sometime in February 2014 :)

ETA: also expect YP WL's at UVA, Michigan, maybe a few other lower T14's unless you write really convincing "Why X" essays

soj

Postby soj » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:08 pm

you won't be considered for nyu's named full scholarships unless you specifically apply for them at the same time you apply for admission. applying for the scholarships is extra work (essays) but obviously well worth it. ask someone who goes to nyu what those programs look for.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:41 pm

soj wrote:you won't be considered for nyu's named full scholarships unless you specifically apply for them at the same time you apply for admission. applying for the scholarships is extra work (essays) but obviously well worth it. ask someone who goes to nyu what those programs look for.

A few people received Vanderbilt full-rides at NYU this cycle without applying for the special scholarships. It was a small number of people (like 6-7 on LSN) and I don't know if they'll do it again next cycle, but at least for this cycle it was possible.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:27 pm

You have a shot at a full ride everywhere. Enjoy Yale.

Pancakes12

Postby Pancakes12 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:26 pm

nebula666 wrote:You have a shot at a full ride everywhere. Enjoy Yale.

Really? I'm pretty sure my chances at Yale are not set in stone at all. My numbers are great, but I lack the type of life experience story or stellar softs that will set me apart.

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:32 pm

The bigger question: why law school? If you have a 4.0 in Math and Economics, you should have decent work opportunities.

Pancakes12

Postby Pancakes12 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:46 pm

thewaves wrote:The bigger question: why law school? If you have a 4.0 in Math and Economics, you should have decent work opportunities.

I originally did the Math and Economics to prepare for an economics PhD, but I decided I wasn't ready to spend six years preparing for a job that was only going to pay 70k-90k starting out. Plus, I wouldn't get into an amazing economics program (probably into one ranked 25+). So I never really planned on going straight into industry working as an analyst or acutary. That stuff really, really bores me. I feel really at home around academia, and would love to end up teaching law eventually.

Also, if I don't end up teaching eventually (which isn't unlikely), I do think I would enjoy the work of a lawyer. It's something I think I'd be great at doing. Yes, it may be hard work with very long hours in a dim cubicle for a few years, but I'd be happy knowing that I'm part of a much larger and important process. I'd be lying if I said I knew exactly what I wanted to do after law school. But I'm really interested to study how this whole bureaucracy of life works. Learning about the theory of law is probably the biggest draw.

Do these sound like bad reasons to go to law school?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:06 pm

It's probably harder to predict full ride named scholarship opportunities than it is to predict YS admission. That said, you of course have a great shot

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:25 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:It's probably harder to predict full ride named scholarship opportunities than it is to predict YS admission. That said, you of course have a great shot

Yep.

OP, there's no set of numbers that will guarantee you a full ride anywhere in the T14. Every T14 school has far fewer full-tuition grants to offer than they do applicants with very high numbers. Within the set of applicants with very high GPAs and LSATs, selection for full rides generally appears quite random. Just apply to every T14. Your odds of picking up one or more full rides will be as good as anyone's.

Edit: An ED acceptance to NU (comes with a $150K scholarship) appears to be much more of a sure thing with the right numbers.
Last edited by Ti Malice on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:33 pm

jlb251 wrote:
thewaves wrote:The bigger question: why law school? If you have a 4.0 in Math and Economics, you should have decent work opportunities.

I originally did the Math and Economics to prepare for an economics PhD, but I decided I wasn't ready to spend six years preparing for a job that was only going to pay 70k-90k starting out. Plus, I wouldn't get into an amazing economics program (probably into one ranked 25+). So I never really planned on going straight into industry working as an analyst or acutary. That stuff really, really bores me. I feel really at home around academia, and would love to end up teaching law eventually.

Also, if I don't end up teaching eventually (which isn't unlikely), I do think I would enjoy the work of a lawyer. It's something I think I'd be great at doing. Yes, it may be hard work with very long hours in a dim cubicle for a few years, but I'd be happy knowing that I'm part of a much larger and important process. I'd be lying if I said I knew exactly what I wanted to do after law school. But I'm really interested to study how this whole bureaucracy of life works. Learning about the theory of law is probably the biggest draw.

You feel really at home in academia because that's all you know so far. Trust me, I can relate to you. I had the same idea before I left UG and worked for a few years.

You should do more research on the realities of work after law school. Especially with the way the legal industry is headed. You may average 2 years in Biglaw before they show you the door. You may think that being a lawyer offers you some kind of job security. Not any more.

It may be scary, but it's best to figure these things out before you wind up with ~$300k debt even if you're at HYS. At least go in with your eyes wide open.

What about consulting and an MBA? Just know that you have more options.

pacifica

Postby pacifica » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:51 am

jlb251 wrote:

Agree with everyone above about chances and $$$. You're all set; enjoy annihilating the T14 and see if you can become a scholarship millionaire by the end of the cycle :twisted:

But just general advice, coming from a science background myself, I got grilled somewhat extensively during my interviews (some for scholarships) about relating my experiences to what I'd want to do in law. I know exactly what you mean about being not quite sure regarding the exact career trajectory coming from school, but it's good to at least have a polished story regardless. Almost all the top schools have big law-and-business tracks, so maybe look at what those organizations offer in terms of career planning and what their alumni have done. Even if it's not appealing, at least having that knowledge in the your bag will prevent you from freezing or giving awkward answers when really pressed for a somewhat exact plan.

Also, this may be obvious, but I've been told to not talk about alternative tracks to law school as "really boring" or "can't get in to the top." I know you would never say that to an adcom, but just making sure. Ensure your tone, when describing your background, as choosing between superior and superlative, as opposed to heaven and hell.

Pancakes12

Postby Pancakes12 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:12 pm

[/quote]

Agree with everyone above about chances and $$$. You're all set; enjoy annihilating the T14 and see if you can become a scholarship millionaire by the end of the cycle :twisted:

But just general advice, coming from a science background myself, I got grilled somewhat extensively during my interviews (some for scholarships) about relating my experiences to what I'd want to do in law. I know exactly what you mean about being not quite sure regarding the exact career trajectory coming from school, but it's good to at least have a polished story regardless. Almost all the top schools have big law-and-business tracks, so maybe look at what those organizations offer in terms of career planning and what their alumni have done. Even if it's not appealing, at least having that knowledge in the your bag will prevent you from freezing or giving awkward answers when really pressed for a somewhat exact plan.

Also, this may be obvious, but I've been told to not talk about alternative tracks to law school as "really boring" or "can't get in to the top." I know you would never say that to an adcom, but just making sure. Ensure your tone, when describing your background, as choosing between superior and superlative, as opposed to heaven and hell.[/quote]

I didn't focus too much on the science side of things with my Math major. I mostly used it supplement my research in the economics department, so even with the math major I'm pretty "social sciency" oriented. Anyone know what types of questions to expect towards an applicant like this? Is it acceptable to say that I'd ideally like to end up teaching law? (especially if that's the truth?)

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:15 pm

jlb251 wrote:

Really? I'm pretty sure my chances at Yale are not set in stone at all. My numbers are great, but I lack the type of life experience story or stellar softs that will set me apart.

Do you think that Yale only lets in people with amazing softs and 175+/3.9+? I imagine they would have a hard time filling their class.

Pancakes12

Postby Pancakes12 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:21 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
jlb251 wrote:

Do you think that Yale only lets in people with amazing softs and 175+/3.9+? I imagine they would have a hard time filling their class.

Of course, but I'm nowhere near being guaranteed admission there.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:27 pm

jlb251 wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
jlb251 wrote:

Of course, but I'm nowhere near being guaranteed admission there.

No one can ever be guaranteed admission to Yale. I think you're in a pretty good spot though bro I wouldn't worry

Sourrudedude

Postby Sourrudedude » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:08 pm

Last edited by Sourrudedude on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:14 pm

Sourrudedude wrote:I have similar numbers to OP so I wanted to piggyback a question on here. If someone were offered a T-14 full-ride/named scholarship/etc. vs no money as HYS, what would be the better choice. I think I would personally take HYS but obviously some people think it's better to apply ED at NYU for example.

What? Nobody thinks that. They have no incentive to give you money if you ED. You'd be paying near sticker at a school where you could've had a great scholarship.

Anyway, for the T-14 full-ride vs. HYS at sticker debate, there are tons of threads on this. Use the search function.

Personally I would take full-ride at CCN and probably even lower over HYS at sticker because 1) I'm fairly debt-averse and 2) I'm just shooting for biglaw, not government/PI/academia.

Return to “What are my chances?”