169 / international student / non-traditional applicant

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
HOS

169 / international student / non-traditional applicant

Postby HOS » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:18 am

Okay, so I've been looking at LSN and myLSN since yesterday after having received my score. The problem is, as an international student (UK born and educated, graduated with a master of engineering, honors 1st class, from a respected university) I haven't a GPA of such. Instead, my LSAC transcript reads as "superior" which apparently means my GPA could be anywhere from 3.5 - 4.0!

As this makes using myLSN slightly more subjective, I am throwing myself down in front of the TLS community for the first time to ask: What are my chances?

I've taken the LSAT twice with a 164 in October 2012 and a 169 in the June exam just past. I probably should have canceled the first score but having never taken a standardized test before wasn't completely sure how to judge my performance. I have not ruled out retaking for a third time.

I'm a non-standard applicant with seven years worth of professional experience in a number of different developed countries (UK, US, Italy and others) including two years spent in engineering and five in management consultancy. Throughout those years I have been focused on the energy and environmental sectors and am interested in studying environmental law.

I realize that YHS are out of reach, but what about the rest of the T14? Any help would be appreciated.

NapoleonXV

Re: 169 / international student / non-traditional applicant

Postby NapoleonXV » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:51 am

I have the same concern as you do as regards the 'Superior' thing.

I would say that they might rely less on our GPA/'Superior' but might focus more on the LSAT, so if you have time, definitely try retake, especially if you feel you can score much higher!

I took the test in London in February, got 170, which is like the lowest I have ever scored on any mock test, so I took it again in London in June and got 179. If you have any questions, would be happy to talk to you about it.

HOS

Re: 169 / international student / non-traditional applicant

Postby HOS » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:00 pm

Good job. With a 179, I imagine you can go to your pick of schools. I was testing at the 172 level, so imagine I could improve; however, for personal reasons, I probably can't retake until next year meaning I would have to miss the cycle.

Return to “What are my chances?”