161/2.9 Asian looking to get into a law school in Texas

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
glee87

161/2.9 Asian looking to get into a law school in Texas

Postby glee87 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:03 am

Oh man..looking at all the posts on the board sort of makes me ashamed for posting this, but I would really like to know what my chances are and this forum has been an amazing source of information.

So for my GPA, I have epilepsy and was diagnosed as such while attending UC Berkeley as a Psych and Poli Sci major. I also fought issues with depression and anxiety and it took me about three years to get some help (was the hardest part for me) and find a proper mix of medication that didn't make me go crazy, so my GPA is pretty bad. I improved after that, but not enough to salvage my GPA. I actually wasn't intending on pursuing law after I graduated, but I started interning at an Immigration Law Firm about a year ago and have become really interested in going into law ever since. As far as work experience, I'm still working at that law firm, have about a year and a halfs worth of volunteer service, and worked for several months at a nonprofit.

Another potential snag is that I finished all my core (major related) classes in 2011, but I still have one class left to take and I am wondering how much this gap between taking classes will affect my chances of getting into law school. I had been hoping to take the class at a local CC to save some money, but in my desire to make money and pay off my loans, I haven't been able to sign up for classes.

I'm taking the LSAT again this coming fall and am not dead set on applying then, but sooner the better would be preferable.

I have no illusions about getting into a Tier 14 school or anything like that. My hope is that I'll be able to get into a decent law school (top 50ish) in Texas like SMU, Baylor or U of H, but I wonder if I even have a shot at that considering what my scores are.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and hope you all have a nice day :)

fajita12

Re: 161/2.9 Asian looking to get into a law school in Texas

Postby fajita12 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:42 pm

Hello there! So first off, so sorry about going what you went through--that must have been tough for anyone! That being said, as long as you include a GPA addendum explaining the situation surrounding your academics, I think a 161 is a solid score for getting into those schools. I'm not sure about the gap, I wouldn't worry about it too much. My advice is to study hard the fall LSAT, take a bunch of PTs, and make as strong as an application as you can with your numbers. Good luck!!!

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:12 pm

The medians are 162 (Baylor), 163 (SMU), and 161 (UH). I think if you hit a 165 and write a killer addendum, you at least have a shot.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:25 pm

You need to hit ATLEAST median for a reasonable shot. The higher the better.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:27 pm

The gap will not affect your cycle. So you don't have your BA yet? take as many classes as you can afford at CC before getting your BA. Pad your GPA as much as possible. 3.2 looks way better than 2.9. Even 3.0 looks way better than 2.9

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:58 pm

SMU likes higher LSAT versus GPA, but they also like to see at least a 3 in front of the GPA number. So pad your GPA and find 4 more points on the LSAT and SMU will throw some money your way. The same goes for Houston and Baylor if you can push up to a 3.X and a 165.

Return to “What are my chances?”