177 3.43, NU ED? Chances at other t14?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jlloyd
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:50 pm

177 3.43, NU ED? Chances at other t14?

Postby jlloyd » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:01 am

Hello all,

First time poster here, and like many others I got my LSAT score yesterday. I have a 177 LSAT and a 3.43 from a prestigious top university. I have three years of work experience as a teacher (not TFA or other similar programs, but instead took my own route and followed my own passions). My goal is to get into the t14 and graduate with as little debt as possible.

What are my chances at an ED with NU, and the full ride that comes with it? I haven't been able to find stats on the EDers from last year.

Also, what are my chances at admission and scholarships at the rest of the t14, and Vanderbilt, UCLA, and UT?

Any insight is greatly appreciated

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: 177 3.43, NU ED? Chances at other t14?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:15 am

jlloyd wrote:Hello all,

First time poster here, and like many others I got my LSAT score yesterday. I have a 177 LSAT and a 3.43 from a prestigious top university. I have three years of work experience as a teacher (not TFA or other similar programs, but instead took my own route and followed my own passions). My goal is to get into the t14 and graduate with as little debt as possible.

What are my chances at an ED with NU, and the full ride that comes with it? I haven't been able to find stats on the EDers from last year.

Also, what are my chances at admission and scholarships at the rest of the t14, and Vanderbilt, UCLA, and UT?

Any insight is greatly appreciated

Vandy should give you some hefty $$$$ (I was 2.8/176 and they gave me their max scholly below a full ride). UCLA and UT I'm not sure, unfortunately.

NU - typically for ED with NU you would want a 3.5-6/17X. Your GPA is a bit shy of that, so it's certainly no guarantee. You'd definitely get bites at other T14s, but IDK h ow much money you would get. I think NU ED would be an excellent choice if you're very debt averse- if you get rolled over to RD, you should still have some good T14 choices with schollies that you can use to negotiate with each other.

User avatar
Duchess14
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:59 pm

Re: 177 3.43, NU ED? Chances at other t14?

Postby Duchess14 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:19 am

I've also been looking into NU ED so I'm interested to see what others have to say / see what kind of stats turn up.

I posted a little while ago with some general questions about NU ED and I'm quoting some below in case it's helpful:

Duchess14 wrote:...

The general wisdom seems to be that NU ED admission tends to be reserved for those with strong numbers (not splitters) because of the attached scholarship.



Clearlynotstefan wrote:Correct. The full ride standards are pretty high, as the program intends to pull qualified applicants from the T6 or so...


Based on what I've read/heard, your GPA may be a little low for the ED admit / full scholarship though I feel like you'd have nothing to lose by applying to NU ED if your goals are to keep the cost down (i.e, you wouldn't be wasting your ED because while it may help on the margins with getting you into another LS, you wouldn't want to face sticker).

Anyone else have thoughts on this / see any potential downsides to applying ED in this case?

jlloyd
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:50 pm

Re: 177 3.43, NU ED? Chances at other t14?

Postby jlloyd » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:16 pm

Yeah, I definitely don't want to use an ED at any other school and face sticker. Would a GPA addendum change things at all? It's probably not a very compelling or unique narrative, but I graduated in 3 years by taking the max units each semester (including both summers) and working multiple jobs at a total of 30-35 hours a week to pay my way through school.

Crumpetsandtea- was there a separate application process for vanderbilt's scholarships ( additional essays etc)?

Lastly, I went to a school in the t14 for ug. Do they give any admissions boosts for that?
Last edited by jlloyd on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: 177 3.43, NU ED? Chances at other t14?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:22 pm

jlloyd wrote:Yeah, I definitely don't want to use an ED at any other school and face sticker. Would a GPA addendum change things at all? It's probably not a very compelling or unique narrative, but I graduated in 3 years by taking the max units each semester (including both summers) and working multiple jobs at a total of 30-35 hours a week to pay my way through school.

Crumpetsandtea- was there a separate application process for vanderbilt's scholarships ( additional essays etc)? My grandfather went there for law school and later died in the line of duty because of a drug case he was working on. Would talking about that in an essay or PS be blatant pandering?

Lastly, I went to a school in the t14 for ug. Do they give any admissions boosts for that?

Okay so GPA addendum - YES. Do every addenda you can (DS, obvs, GPA, Why NU, etc etc). The admissions office really cares about that. Just make sure your GPA add3endum doesn't look like you're making excuses. Own your GPA and spin it into something positive.

Vandy's scholly process - not that I recall. I had already deposited at NU when Vandy accepted me (I was on the WL first) and they just offered me the scholly. I negotiated with them using NU's scholly, and then I tried to negotiate with NU using Vandy's (no dice). I think you can mention the granddad connection but do NOT make the focus of one of your statements. It's not strong enough of a tie to help significantly.

T14 UG - no. (unless YSH, and even then, not really)

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: 177 3.43, NU ED? Chances at other t14?

Postby KingFish » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:25 pm

http://goo.gl/ffsxs

Here's the applicants this cycle with your numbers.

Of the 5 who reported where they're going, 4 are attending CLS and the other is attending NYU.

A couple received money at T14's.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: 177 3.43, NU ED? Chances at other t14?

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:35 pm

I would strongly consider EDing NW, if that's still available as an option this fall. I consider it a market inefficiency because the stats of successful ED'ers are much lower than one would expect.

User avatar
Duchess14
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:59 pm

Re: 177 3.43, NU ED? Chances at other t14?

Postby Duchess14 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:52 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:I would strongly consider EDing NW, if that's still available as an option this fall. I consider it a market inefficiency because the stats of successful ED'ers are much lower than one would expect.


Has anyone heard anything about whether NU views the the ED scholarship as a success? How likely is is to stay?

Crumpetsandtea-- any insight? heard anything around campus about this? Thanks for answering our questions!

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: 177 3.43, NU ED? Chances at other t14?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:56 pm

Duchess14 wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:I would strongly consider EDing NW, if that's still available as an option this fall. I consider it a market inefficiency because the stats of successful ED'ers are much lower than one would expect.


Has anyone heard anything about whether NU views the the ED scholarship as a success? How likely is is to stay?

Crumpetsandtea-- any insight? heard anything around campus about this? Thanks for answering our questions!

Honestly I don't know. I'd imagine it's working fine though.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests