Edit

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ScottRiqui

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Black Hat wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:Have you read through the Military Law thread yet? That would be a great place to start in getting a feel for just how hard getting a JAG position is (even with military experience). There are plenty of good applicants there that didn't have it work out, to the point where they are still applying for the 4th-5th time and missing.

And please stop trying to school people on how the military runs. You sound immature and make those of us AD and vet types sound like jerks.

Why would one read forums about Jag from people who have done nothing but read other forums? This is the internet equivalent of high school gossip. Why not go straight to the horse (the recruiter) and get the information there?

If you're suggesting that recruiters have all the "good gouge" and are truthful/helpful, I have a bridge to sell you. Read through the "Military Law" thread as suggested - there are a bunch of people in there who are actually applying / waiting for results, not just "reading forums". Some of the first-hand reports from the thread about the number of slots available in the various programs compared to the number of applicants is pretty sobering.

If you want to put on your blinders and dismiss the opinions of the "slimy civilians" outright, that's one thing. But you've got long-term active-duty and retired guys telling you the same thing. At least allow for the possibility that we're not all full of shit, too.

bandenjamin

Postby bandenjamin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:22 pm

Black Hat wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:Have you read through the Military Law thread yet? That would be a great place to start in getting a feel for just how hard getting a JAG position is (even with military experience). There are plenty of good applicants there that didn't have it work out, to the point where they are still applying for the 4th-5th time and missing.

And please stop trying to school people on how the military runs. You sound immature and make those of us AD and vet types sound like jerks.

Why would one read forums about Jag from people who have done nothing but read other forums? This is the internet equivalent of high school gossip. Why not go straight to the horse (the recruiter) and get the information there?

Cause no recruiter ever lied to meet a quota, nope. Never. Ever. Happened.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:22 pm

Nova wrote:
Black Hat wrote:NOONE from any of these schools is successful according to you.

No one is saying that.

I believe it's spelled NOONE. And he said intimating, NOT saying!!!! :x

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:23 pm

list?
Last edited by Black Hat on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:26 pm

full
Last edited by Black Hat on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:28 pm

game.

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:30 pm

indicate.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Black Hat wrote:
politics89 wrote:
Since when is 70% decent? Especially when you can have 90%? This makes no sense.

What is the average for all law schools? I asking because I really don't know. Is it over or under 70%?

On a side not. Who here commenting right now is a lawyer presently in big law or Jag?

About 50% which is absurd.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/25/opini ... ml?hp&_r=0

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Black Hat wrote:
Nova wrote:Im sitting at my desk at a law firm

Then if you have such an abundance of time to sit here and talk with us I must assume that you are not very successful yourself. No offense but that is just what the evidence would indicate.

lol

KD35

Postby KD35 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Black Hat wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote: At least allow for the possibility that we're not all full of shit, too.

I hear you loud and clear and I have considered the possibility that you are not 'all' full of shit.

The general sentiment is merely that nothing is a guarantee, so it's in your best interest to do whatever you can to maximize your chances of receiving a JAG position. In the end you are the only person who needs to be happy with the decision you make, you're the one who must live with it.

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:34 pm

marginal.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:36 pm

Black Hat wrote:
politics89 wrote:
Black Hat wrote:
politics89 wrote:
Since when is 70% decent? Especially when you can have 90%? This makes no sense.

What is the average for all law schools? I asking because I really don't know. Is it over or under 70%?

About 50% which is absurd.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/25/opini ... ml?hp&_r=0

Oh wow that is sobering in itself. So that would mean 70% is above average. I suspect we will see improvement over the next three years as well. Even if it is marginal.

I doubt it will be getting much better, if you read the rest of the article its all about layoffs and firms closing. Thats the reason its so important to go to the best school you can because jobs in law are farrrr from guaranteed these days and no firm if going to take someone from Cooley when they can get someone from Harvard. (I realize you havent sunk as low as Cooley, just an example)

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:38 pm

Black Hat wrote:

Then if you have such an abundance of time to sit here and talk with us I must assume that you are not very successful yourself. No offense but that is just what the evidence would indicate.

You are bad at assumptions

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:39 pm

area.
Last edited by Black Hat on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:40 pm

Black Hat wrote:
Nova wrote:
Black Hat wrote:NOONE from any of these schools is successful according to you.

No one is saying that.

Then what is wrong with the schools from the list?

That they give you less of a chance of getting a good job than a better school. Not that they give you no chance at all.

If a school had one person of thousand get a solid, JD required job, would you "Well, you can't say there's anything wrong with this school, because hey, it's not like no one was successful."

By the way, why do you think you'd have to waste a year to apply to law school? You know the LSAT is offered again in October and December, right? You could study your balls off, raise your score, and still be on the exact same timeline.

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:41 pm

forum.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:42 pm

Nova wrote:
Black Hat wrote:

Probably has some relevance to the 155 LSAT

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:43 pm

Fall.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:44 pm

Black Hat wrote:
Nova wrote:
Black Hat wrote:

The fact that you would even reply to that lends credence to the idea that you are in fact unsuccessful. If I made 100k a year I wouldn't be wasting my precious time with people on this forum.

Just go to South Carolina.

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:45 pm

far.
Last edited by Black Hat on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:46 pm

Black Hat wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
Just go to South Carolina.

I intend to. Provided that they accept me which is the whole reason I am even here on this forum. To assess my chances. Which no one has helped me do thus far.

Your chances are good. You do have a shit score but its also a shit school in a shit climate for admissions, so you'll get in. Just go on http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com and stop wasting everyone's time.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:48 pm

Black Hat wrote:
politics89 wrote:

I doubt it will be getting much better, if you read the rest of the article its all about layoffs and firms closing. Thats the reason its so important to go to the best school you can because jobs in law are farrrr from guaranteed these days and no firm if going to take someone from Cooley when they can get someone from Harvard. (I realize you havent sunk as low as Cooley, just an example)

Well law school applications are also down and the economy is slowly getting better. It cant stay horrible forever. Nothing is a guarantee. State schools will offer a reasonable chance of employment within their geographic area.

It's not that any of the schools you listed won't work - IF everything goes according to your plan and all you truly need is a JD "check in the box" to get your AUTO-JAG job that you'll ride into retirement.

What's frustrating us is that you're needlessly (and drastically) limiting your options, especially considering your uGPA and your soft factors. Schools with much better return-on-investment can be yours at no more cost than the schools you listed, thanks to the GI Bill.

Also, it's frankly a little puzzling that a hard-charging devil dog such as yourself would lay down and settle for a 155 on the LSAT after a single attempt. That's barely above median for your age group, which means that nearly half of all LSAT takers did better than you did. And the pool of LSAT takers includes a lot of dumb, unmotivated motherfuckers.

Seriously, take a year, put some work into the LSAT, and even a fairly small bump into the 160s opens up a world of additional choices, including some schools that have much better prospects for higher-paying jobs, as well as the potential for jobs outside their immediate geographic area.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:48 pm

Black Hat wrote:
politics89 wrote:

Well law school applications are also down and the economy is slowly getting better. It cant stay horrible forever. Nothing is a guarantee. State schools will offer a reasonable chance of employment within their geographic area.

Wishful thinking. Yes numbers are declining but not by enough. You can say that you have a decent shot but employment statistics still show low percentages. Even if you pay nothing, thats still 3 years of your life on a 30% chance you won't be able to find a job.

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:50 pm

Sigh...
Last edited by Black Hat on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperCerealBrah

Postby SuperCerealBrah » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:57 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
Black Hat wrote:
politics89 wrote:

It's not that any of the schools you listed won't work - IF everything goes according to your plan and all you truly need is a JD "check in the box" to get your AUTO-JAG job that you'll ride into retirement.

What's frustrating us is that you're needlessly (and drastically) limiting your options, especially considering your uGPA and your soft factors. Schools with much better return-on-investment can be yours at no more cost than the schools you listed, thanks to the GI Bill.

Also, it's frankly a little puzzling that a hard-charging devil dog such as yourself would lay down and settle for a 155 on the LSAT after a single attempt. That's barely above median for your age group, which means that nearly half of all LSAT takers did better than you did. And the pool of LSAT takers includes a lot of dumb, unmotivated motherfuckers.

Seriously, take a year, put some work into the LSAT, and even a fairly small bump into the 160s opens up a world of additional choices, including some schools that have much better prospects for higher-paying jobs, as well as the potential for jobs outside their immediate geographic area.

So much this. OP, you are a marine, man. You shouldn't be settling for mediocrity.
Last edited by SuperCerealBrah on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “What are my chances?”