Edit

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Black Hat
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:52 am

Is
Last edited by Black Hat on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Magical Trevor
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby Magical Trevor » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:38 am

As another soon to be military law school applicant... no. Don't waste your GI bill on trash schools. It's ridiculous what you can get covered between the GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program. Here's your COA:

1. Study
2. Retake to get a score matching your GPA.
3. Attend a better school
4. ????
5. Profit

Edit: I know you said you don't want to retake because your plan is to go right back into service, but what happens if you don't get accepted? Between reduction in force and increasing applications, competition is strong. And, while prior service may look good, so does having a diploma that isn't signed in crayon. Worst case scenario if you go to a t14 school is that you don't get accepted and you have to settle for another job somewhere else. If you go to an unranked school, worst case scenario is you just blew your 9/11 GI Bill for nothing.

User avatar
Black Hat
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:49 am

I
Last edited by Black Hat on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Black Hat
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:51 am

The crayon
Last edited by Black Hat on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Black Hat
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:58 am

Where
Last edited by Black Hat on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Magical Trevor
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby Magical Trevor » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:05 am

What's stopping you from getting over 160 on a test that can be learned? There's quite a difference even in raising it 5 points.

If you look in my profile I posted a thread awhile ago about my chances of attending Lewis and Clark in Oregon because my SO is going to be in Portland for a great school. I got a reaction similar to the one you are getting here, and my GPA is trash compared to yours. I took the replies with a grain of salt until I really looked into it.

I agree that not using the 9/11 GI Bill is a waste, but so is using it at a crappy school when you have the potential to really make it worthwhile at a school that will ensure you have better opportunities everywhere. Check out this link:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/148027072/201 ... ibbon-Info

A little studying and you are at one of the schools on the very top of that list with excellent chances of being hired anywhere to include the military. Just being a JD isn't worth what it used to be. Being a JD from a top school, however...

I just took the June LSAT and ended up mid 90s percentile wise. I don't want to discuss the score because it pisses me off since I somehow managed to mess up LG and RC, both of which I'd gone -0 in for the entirety of my prep testing. I've narrowed down where I want to apply and gotten transcripts on their way as well as LORs, working on writing my PS now and deciding whether I want to retake or let it ride for now and retake if this cycle goes poorly. I'm a combat arms E-6 in the Army.

User avatar
Black Hat
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:07 am

Thanks
Last edited by Black Hat on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Magical Trevor
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby Magical Trevor » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:12 am

Best of luck.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:14 am

Black Hat,

1. Marine Jag shows no preference towards former Marines, and they are certainly prestige whores.
2. GI bill only covers public schools (@ 100%)
3. You are a boot ass pog
4. Take your LSAT again. Don't give your GI bill away to show slick haired charlatan. Spend that once in a lifetime chance, possibly worth a quarter million dollars much more wisely

User avatar
Magical Trevor
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby Magical Trevor » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:16 am

SemperLegal wrote:Black Hat,

3. You are a boot ass pog


Awesome.

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby xylocarp » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:47 am

This is just my opinion, but if I had a free ride to any law school, I would want to spend that money on the best legal education that I could. With a GPA like yours + a better LSAT, that could mean HYS. Why do you say you couldn't possibly get higher than 160? I don't know where you went for undergrad, but I would think that if you got a 3.93 GPA, you could get higher than a 160 if you really tried. Obviously, I don't know you personally, so that very well might not be true.

I don't know anything about the military, but IF your job there as a lawyer is basically a guaranteed thing (big "if" there), your current plan doesn't sound like such a bad deal. As I said though, I personally would want to spend my free ride on a truly great education.

From what I've seen on these boards, if you're looking for someone to tell you the schools on your list are good schools worth going to, you've come to the wrong place.

User avatar
Black Hat
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:47 am

Disgraceful...
Last edited by Black Hat on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Black Hat
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:55 am

Thanks
Last edited by Black Hat on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby Dmini7 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:05 am

Black Hat wrote:
alh0511 wrote:This is just my opinion, but if I had a free ride to any law school, I would want to spend that money on the best legal education that I could. With a GPA like yours + a better LSAT, that could mean HYS. Why do you say you couldn't possibly get higher than 160? I don't know where you went for undergrad, but I would think that if you got a 3.93 GPA, you could get higher than a 160 if you really tried. Obviously, I don't know you personally, so that very well might not be true.

I don't know anything about the military, but IF your job there as a lawyer is basically a guaranteed thing (big "if" there), your current plan doesn't sound like such a bad deal. As I said though, I personally would want to spend my free ride on a truly great education.

From what I've seen on these boards, if you're looking for someone to tell you the schools on your list are good schools worth going to, you've come to the wrong place.




Thanks for the comment.

I wasn't looking for reassurance. The applications are already out. What I wanted was perhaps some insight to which was best. Best instructors, best city, best over all quality of life etc. etc. Really what I wanted was insider comments but it seems everyone here is still applying and really knows nothing other than the US News ranking. Which makes sense I suppose. It seems perhaps that those people who are already in law school wouldn't have much need in this thread or really on this site at all.

Thanks for your opinion. The primary argument I have heard from everyone (general consensus) is that law school isn't worth the money unless you go to a T14. Which makes sense. However, is it worth it if the T2 is completely free? I think it is. I could probably get 160 but what would that cost? Another year of my life so I can join Jag with the same pay? Doesn't make sense to me. Thanks for your respectful input. It was very much appreciated.

-Black Hat


Out of curiosity, how certain are you about landing JAG? I assume you have a very very good shot seeing as you already served, and unless you were unbelievable incompetent they would hire you from within.

Honestly, from all I read in the JAG thread, prestige is useless. If your heart is set on that, go to the school that suits your personal needs the most(and the one that will be completely paid for). You have a unique situation where you do not have to be T14 or bust. Now with that said, other individuals advice in this thread is still valid for others reading it. Not everyone has a situation where they literally just need the JD. Just realize if it doesn't work out, just realize you may have an extremely hard time being able to do law work after law school.

SemperLegal wrote:Black Hat,

1. Marine Jag shows no preference towards former Marines, and they are certainly prestige whores.


That is weird, I could have sworn when I was looking through the JAG thread they were saying UG did not matter, especially since plenty of TTT's were getting the positions. I haven't looked at the thread since around January and I am by no means an expert, but still. Are you sure about your information?

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:10 am

Black Hat wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:Gary,

1. Marine Jag shows no preference towards former Marines, and they are certainly prestige whores.
2. GI bill only covers public schools (@ 100%)
3. You are a boot ass pog
4. Take your LSAT again. Don't give your GI bill away to show slick haired charlatan. Spend that once in a lifetime chance, possibly worth a quarter million dollars much more wisely



1- Are you a Marine Jag interviewer? What about Army? Navy? Are you even in the military? Prior military will ALWAYS beat pampered ass bitch's who have had a silver spoon in their mouth all their life. All these punks on here who have never worked a day in their life. This is my competition for Jag? I am not concerned. Marine's take care of their own, period. My ROS speaks for itself. Unless I am being compared to other Marines who have better records than mine. There will be no contest. I am willing to bet that the chances are fairly low. Considering that most law students are not military and even fewer still are Marines.

2- Thank you I am aware. All of the aforementioned schools have the yellow ribbon program as well which will cover 100% of the tuition.

3- How am I boot? I am already out of the Marine Corps. I have done my time as a boot. Those who call others boots are in all actuality boots themselves. Projection.

4- Your opinion. Syracuse's tuition, for example, alone equals about 138K. That is pretty good value out of the GIB I think.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with the University of South Carolina or West Virginia University. Hell even Syracuse is alright. You all are basing your opinions off of a completely arbitrary US News ranking. What a joke. Success in this business (Law) is going to primarily come from hard work and networking.

You kids have A Lot of maturing and learning to do that is for sure. Disgraceful...


1. The military turns silver spooners into steely eyed killers everyday. Think about how useless we all are when we hit the fleet, yet there is a network of mentors, wearing both shiny and black rank, that shows us the ropes. However, the Marines have no real organic ability to train lawyers. So, why would they ever choose a pt-stud from a TTT over a moderately in shape HYSer? You lived in SC, you know how good we are at making Marines out of civvies.

2. YRP at private schools are not unlimited, nor do they apply the last-payer stipulations as ... liberally ... as public schools do.

3. You are a boot by the most classic definition: you arrived at OCS/Depot more than one minute later than I did. You are a POG cause you lived in SC and liked it, grunts live in NC and hate it. New Corps...

4. Its only a good value if you get what you want out of it. Otherwise, its just the greatest leave block of all times.

However, we are all forgetting to mention the most important thing of all, sequester. You should never bank on JAG or the military, because there is no such think as guaranteed boat space. Talk to some of your brothers who are still in and see how easy retention has become. Some official estimates put the amount of present Lts that are going to be denied CAPT at 75%. Thats insane.

Redfactor
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby Redfactor » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:39 am

.
Last edited by Redfactor on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Magical Trevor
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby Magical Trevor » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:06 am

Black Hat wrote:I wasn't looking for reassurance. The applications are already out. What I wanted was perhaps some insight to which was best. Best instructors, best city, best over all quality of life etc. etc. Really what I wanted was insider comments but it seems everyone here is still applying and really knows nothing other than the US News ranking. Which makes sense I suppose. It seems perhaps that those people who are already in law school wouldn't have much need in this thread or really on this site at all.

Thanks for your opinion. The primary argument I have heard from everyone (general consensus) is that law school isn't worth the money unless you go to a T14. Which makes sense. However, is it worth it if the T2 is completely free? I think it is. I could probably get 160 but what would that cost?


The more I read your messages the more I think you did come here for reassurance that your choices are good. That's not happening, because they aren't. First, this site isn't called bottom-of-the-barrel-law-schools.com so coming here expecting people to validate less than stellar schools is misguided at best. Next, no one is basing advice on the US News rankings and asserting that "no one here really knows anything shows how little you actually know. Rather, the advice is based on the data used to generate those rankings. The schools you've chosen have piss poor employment stats, as posted earlier in the thread by Nova. For example, there's the University of Mississippi where 60% of the graduates end up with long term, full time law jobs. Sounds great until you look at their salaries and realize that I'm making more than most of them as an active duty E-6 with low BAH thanks to where I live and I didn't have to spend any education money to get here. Then, there's the fact that you are just ignoring the reality that with the 9/11 GI Bill and YRP T14 can be completely free. Finally, asking what taking the time to get a 160 cost you is irrelevant when the better question is, "how much will it cost you not to?" When you consider earning potential over the course of a lifetime, possibly millions of dollars.

User avatar
DaRascal
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby DaRascal » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:14 am

Hey you should retake and get to the 160's then try to ED to UVA as a reverse splitter and use your G.I. Bill on that.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4133
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:24 am

Get over yourself with your ridiculous motivated chest thumping bullshit. You sound like a SNCO giving the weekend safety brief. You're right that most law students haven't been in the military...but some have. If you walk around with that oo-rah brotherhood yut attitude while rocking a high and tight, you're going to rub a lot of people the wrong way, not to mention coming off as an immature boot. Just because you were in the Marines for a few years (which I'm not diminishing, it's great, I'm a veteran myself) does not mean you're the only one with legitimate life experience. You may not mean to, but the message you're sending is "You can't tell me anything, I'm a Marine!!!" You're getting mad because you didn't get the answer you wanted.

And PS: prior military service gives you an edge to get JAG but it is not a lock by any means. What are you going to do with a JD from a shit school if JAG doesn't pan out? People are trying to help you. Nothing wrong with JAG but a back up plan couldn't hurt.

All that said, I like South Carolina too. If retaking is truly off the table, I guess I would go there in your situation if I had ties to the state (i.e did my undergrad there, preferably at the Citadel) and was fine with the knowledge that my degree would limit me geographically. But really, you should just retake and get the giant chip off your shoulder.
Last edited by TheSpanishMain on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby Nova » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:38 am

Black Hat wrote:it seems everyone here is still applying and really knows nothing other than the US News ranking.

All these punks on here who have never worked a day in their life.

You all are basing your opinions off of a completely arbitrary US News ranking.

:roll: :roll:

laww
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 10:08 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby laww » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 am

Early Decision to Cooley. Full Scholly.

Seriously though. Retake, go to HYS.

Fulfill my dreams.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby Nova » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:12 am

laww wrote:Fulfill my dreams.

:lol: :lol:

User avatar
Black Hat
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:24 am

no degree.
Last edited by Black Hat on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

laww
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 10:08 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby laww » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:27 am

Bro even if I was a US NAVY SEAL TEAM 6 NO SCOPE I would retake and go to HYS.

STOP.

RETAKE.

HYS.

User avatar
Black Hat
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Prior Marine - 155 LSAT - 3.93 GPA What are My Chances??

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:32 am

input.
Last edited by Black Hat on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests