3.4 164 - T14 chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sfxx

New

3.4 164 - T14 chances?

Post by sfxx » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:56 pm

About Me:
African-American male
Humanities major from a LAC
1-2 years work experience

I'm pretty sure softs don't matter, but I had 4 years of government internships, was hired by that agency, and now work for that agency. I have very specific plans for my JD, so I feel my PS is fairly strong along with my recs.

What are my chances at the following:
Harvard
Columbia
NYU
Penn
Michigan
Virginia
Berkeley
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
USC
UCLA

californiauser

Silver

Re: 3.4 164 - T14 chances?

Post by californiauser » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:25 pm

I want to say decent chance at Cornell and Penn

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:48 pm

californiauser wrote:I want to say decent chance at Cornell and Penn

apply early and you may pull an MVP and should get atleast cornell and Georgetown. (I am not sure Duke or NU will be favorable to you.

I applied late and only pulled Georgetown, USC UCLA. With that said I was waitlisted at UVA and cornell and placed on reserve at Columbia(withdrew after the second reserve email). Only outright rejections were Harvard and NU.

I would suggest retaking, but applying on 9/1 regardless. Its much easier to get into the school if you apply earlier, I especially feel that is the case for those schools with small class sizes like Cornell.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:13 pm

Penn rejected / WLed a whole slew of AAs last cycle with better numbers... kind of a crapshoot. Retake is TCR but OP will definitely get some T14 bites.

sfxx

New

Post by sfxx » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:18 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
Penn rejected / WLed a whole slew of AAs last cycle with better numbers... kind of a crapshoot. Retake is TCR but OP will definitely get some T14 bites.
I'm planning on applying day 1 with a why Penn. I'm interested in the Wharton certificate in public policy.

What about the others schools I listed? Is it worth it to even throw a hail mary to Harvard?

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:51 am

sfxx wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
I'm planning on applying day 1 with a why Penn. I'm interested in the Wharton certificate in public policy.

What about the others schools I listed? Is it worth it to even throw a hail mary to Harvard?
It is absolutely worth throwing a hail mary to Harvard. AA male is the most sought-after type of URM. Berkeley is probably unlikely, as they notoriously only admit applicants with high GPAs (I'm not sure how that factors into URMs), but you've got an outside shot at the rest of the schools on your list. I can't imagine you'll have a problem getting into UCLA, USC, GULC and Cornell, at least.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”