Chances at law school for rising NYU junior?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
NYUGIRL2015

Chances at law school for rising NYU junior?

Postby NYUGIRL2015 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a rising junior at NYU who is interested in attending law school. My GPA is currently a 3.7, and will be higher once I re-take an Econ class that I got a C+ in the fall of my sophomore year. (I'm aiming to graduate with a ~3.85). I'm set up to major in a mix of marketing, communications, and management in the Gallatin School of Individualized Study, but was thinking of switching to an English major. If I majored in English, I would take classes that weren't graded by the Stern curve, giving me a higher GPA. Plus, I've read that law schools look unfavorably upon students with super-specific majors and prefer a broad liberal arts base.

What do you think about this? Should I change my major or keep it as-is? Furthermore, how do law schools perceive the strength of NYU's undergraduate program?

Thanks!

Clearly

Re: Chances at law school for rising NYU junior?

Postby Clearly » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:02 pm

When you retake a class, LSAC will take both grades in your calculation, so your better off not retaking it strictly law school wise, because you won't undo the damage, you'll just create another grade (and one you've already shown to be a tough grade), just taking English 101 or something would have the same effect on your cumulative GPA.

Also, undergrad doesn't really matter much at all, and neither does major, It basically comes down to GPA, and LSAT. Basically, if you crush the LSAT your GPA is enough to get you into great law schools, if you can't crush the LSAT it won't be worth the expense.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:20 pm

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:21 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Also, undergrad doesn't really matter much at all, and neither does major, It basically comes down to GPA, and LSAT.

This

NYUGIRL2015

Postby NYUGIRL2015 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:27 pm

So will that one grade hurt me severely in the law school application process?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:30 pm

NYUGIRL2015 wrote:So will that one grade hurt me severely in the law school application process?

only your cumulative gpa will matter, and your gpa is fine.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:25 am

"hurt" in what sense? it impacted your GPA in a negative way, so yes it hurt you, but only to the degree that it shows up.

Only NYU law and maybe UChicago will notice if your major is through Stern or the arts & sciences college, and notice is not the same thing as care to any measurable degree. However, you are extremely young, so I wouldn't just tell you to blindly pursue an English major when your alternatives are more employable. If you decide you do not want to go to law school, or that you're not ready to apply fall of senior year (which, unless you get a baller LSAT score, you won't be), you will want to have majored in something that could get you another good job, and also of course, something you enjoy.

Moreover, relax, enjoy college, and keep your grades up.

Return to “What are my chances?”