Chances for various schools 3.5 GPA/173 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
LegallyBrunette2015

Chances for various schools 3.5 GPA/173 LSAT

Postby LegallyBrunette2015 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:17 pm

Hey guys this is my first thread so forgive me if there are formatting issues.

I am applying for the cycle NEXT fall as soon as I can. I decided to do a second internship/have some classes to finish up. The 3.5 is an estimate of UWGPA. I may be able to bring that up a bit. LSAT= 173.
I have strong soft factors such as strong internships, recommenders, activities in undergrad (president of various clubs). I know these don't matter too much and it's mostly GPA and LSAT but hey, maybe they will help a little bit!

I was wondering what my chances are at various schools such as

-UVA
-Vanderbilt
-USC
-UCLA
-U Mich
-Boston College
-NYU
-Columbia
-Duke
-Harvard ( reach)

Thank you all so much. Good luck to everyone!

t-14orbust

Re: Chances for various schools 3.5 GPA/173 LSAT

Postby t-14orbust » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:18 pm

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:41 pm

Pretty much everything outside HYS and probably Berkeley is on the table here.

LegallyBrunette2015

Postby LegallyBrunette2015 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:54 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Pretty much everything outside HYS and probably Berkeley is on the table here.

Thank you, do you think it would still be worth applying to Harvard since many of my recommenders are graduates/ interned in the area at firms they are close with?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:21 pm

LegallyBrunette2015 wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:Pretty much everything outside HYS and probably Berkeley is on the table here.

Thank you, do you think it would still be worth applying to Harvard since many of my recommenders are graduates/ interned in the area at firms they are close with?

Sure, but the LoRs wont make any difference. Harvard has a hard 3.6 gpa floor unless you are urm or extreme non-trad (like one guy this cycle).

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:26 pm

Last edited by Redfactor on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegallyBrunette2015

Postby LegallyBrunette2015 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:32 pm

Don't take this as gospel. It's not wrong, it's just that I wouldn't even use this cycle to predict the next. Things are changing so rapidly and dramatically in admissions that there may be a few with your numbers getting in. I would pay for the Harvard app before the Boston College/USC/UCLA app if I were you.[/quote]

Thank you. Fair enough. I do still have some time left so maybe I can bring it up to a 3.6. I may as well pay for the app it can't hurt. I'm very interested in UCLA haha so I am for sure applying there. However Columbia is most likely my top choice.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:41 pm

Last edited by Redfactor on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent

Postby Vincent » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:41 pm

Go for the 3.6 if you want a shot at Harvard. You won't break any T14 medians, but you will get yourself above what seems to be a "GPA floor" for HLS.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:53 pm

Redfactor wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
LegallyBrunette2015 wrote:

Sure, but the LoRs wont make any difference. Harvard has a hard 3.6 gpa floor unless you are urm or extreme non-trad (like one guy this cycle).

Don't take this as gospel. It's not wrong, it's just that I wouldn't even use this cycle to predict the next. Things are changing so rapidly and dramatically in admissions that there may be a few with your numbers getting in. I would pay for the Harvard app before the Boston College/USC/UCLA app if I were you.

Even if Harvard started admitting some 3.57 or 3.55 candidates, they would be 176+ not 173. Look, go ahead and apply, I would say its worth the application $, but dont get your hopes up and understand what the admissions data suggests.

I totally agree each cycle is a different animal, and everything is in flux. Splitters had incredible cycles this year. However, Im still doubtful this has had a heavy impact on HYS. When apps and specifically high lsat apps drop, T20 schools cling to their medians as the top applicants flee to T13, then lower T13 to CCN, CCN to H. With top heavy admissions, I would be tempted to say the only "selective" law schools remaining are HYS, with a few outliers, and thats because they can afford to be. There are still enough 173+/3.8+ people to fill all of H, S & Ys incoming class each year. If they dip below, its entirely by choice (like for urms), because they know they can have those top students if they want them. That isnt going for any other school.

Long story short, I agree 100% with your logic wrt all schools outside HYS. Being at the top gives more flexibility. Theres no pressure on Harvard to admit a 3.5 candidate quite yet.

Vincent

Postby Vincent » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Also of note: I don't think I can find the article now, but Harvard was one of the few schools that apparently saw a slight increase in applications this year.

Return to “What are my chances?”