Q for T-14 or T-20 law school admits. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sarcasticzebra

New

Q for T-14 or T-20 law school admits.

Post by sarcasticzebra » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:17 pm

I am inquiring to see if there are any T-14 or T-20 admits that have ran into this same predicament as me.

My numbers: 3.13 gpa (that can be improved to 3.3 by graduation) / scoring in high 160s on diagnostics (shooting for 170+ by Feb)

With those #s and scores listed above, here are some non-quantative factors of my application that dont effect the LSAT/gpa #s:

1). I have taken 8 years to graduate College. (Major changes, life problems) - and I keep thinking that with a 170/3.3 that I will be rejected by some schools because - dont they want to admit students that they will know will graduate law school fast/soon/on time? Was there anyone that got admitted to a T-14 or T-20 that took longer than 4 years to graduate from undergrad (7 yrs)?

2). W's: I have seen many threads on here about this, but none that helps me out here. Mine are non-punitive and none of them were to avoid individual classes, when I had Ws, they were straight W's for a number of semesters (son with healthproblems; financial problems), and if you have a # semesters of all Ws, wont that be a red flag regardless of your #s? What if I have a 4-5 semester trend at the end of no Ws? Has there anyone on here that got admitted to a Top 14/Top 20 with a pattern of non punitive Withdrawals?

Any help would be appreciated, and I made 2 posts yesterday and this will be my last one, since I know these annoy people, but I just cant seem to find the answers I need.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Q for T-14 or T-20 law school admits.

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:21 pm

isn't this like your tenth thread bro?

sarcasticzebra

New

Post by sarcasticzebra » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:23 pm

No, I have only made posts the last 2 days, if you look at previous history, and no offense but I am not a bro, I am a ma'am.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:26 pm

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:28 pm

if you have a high LSAT, schools want it. period.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:29 pm

Unless you're aiming for HYS (which, well, you're not - I wasn't either), your numbers will carry probably 95% of the weight of your application. Besides, taking a long time to graduate can probably be spun into all kinds of interesting stories that will distinguish you from the ordinary K-JD. (In the grand scheme of things, lots and lots of people take longer than 4 years to graduate UG, and I'm sure some of them end up in T-14/T-20 schools, because schools care about numbers.)

As for the Ws, they don't affect your GPA, so schools won't care, but you can submit an addendum explaining what was going on. I would think that in some ways, issues that require you to bail on school entirely in a given semester might be more compelling than saying, Well, I had to withdraw from Organic Chemistry because I thought I was going to be pre-med but it turns out I'm not very good at science so I was going to fail... (not that all single-class withdrawals are like that, but some are).

Seriously, don't worry about it. Get the best GPA/LSAT you can and then put as positive of a spin as you can on everything else, because it generally matters very little.

sarcasticzebra

New

Post by sarcasticzebra » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:39 pm

Thanks A. Nony Mouse and IAFG for your replies and assistance, that was very helpful and makes me relax quite a bit. Thanks so much!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:45 pm

sarcasticzebra wrote:No, I have only made posts the last 2 days, if you look at previous history, and no offense but I am not a bro, I am a ma'am.
please accept my humblest apologies, madame.

As for your questions, will your academic history look awkward? yes, which is why you should address it upfront. It definitely won't prevent you from admission to T13 if you work it into a compelling narrative, along with your other softs/attributes/goals. Use your PS and an addendum for the W's to explain how the experience contributed to you wanting to practice law and attend X school specifically; don't be defensive, but be proactive about the process and your story. Yes, I took 8 years to graduate, but here's why and here's what I gained from it that other candidates might not have. Obviously don't go crazy w/ it because as the others have said, numbers are much more important, but you don't want to just let it sit there and not mention it at all.

Ultimately, get a 170+ on the LSAT and you'll be in at NU either way.

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:56 pm

I took 7 years to graduate. I did 2 years, 3 off, and then 2 more. I graduated with a 3.4 (3.01 LSDAS). My grade trend was 1st year: ok grades, 2nd year: really terrible grades, leave school, 3rd and 4th year: all As. I had a few Ws too. With a 168 my record in the T21 was:

Reject:
Harvard
Berkeley
Texas

Waitlist:
Penn

Admit:
Georgetown $
UCLA $
WUSTL $$
GW $$

I had some compelling softs and spent a lot of time crafting a message and narrative not only for my personal statement but woven through the optional essays and addendums as well.

Hope this helps!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Another note, I thought I wouldn't get in to T14s so I limited my apps. I wish I hadn't. Also I didn't apply until late January. Wish I had applied early.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:42 am

I took ten years to graduate.

In: NYU $$$
UVA $$$
Michigan $$$
NU $$$

WL/withdrawn: Columbia
Chicago
Harvard
Penn

I had decent numbers (3.5 and a high LSAT), but I pretty much performed my numbers... maybe even overperformed regarding scholarship money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”