178/3.83 HLS Chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
stuckinthemiddle

Re: 178/3.83 HLS Chances?

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:31 am

Lavitz' cycle has got to be one of the most confusing ever. Unbelievable that Harvard didn't bite. :(

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:59 am

stuckinthemiddle wrote:Lavitz' cycle has got to be one of the most confusing ever. Unbelievable that Harvard didn't bite. :(

Isn't Lavitz a splitter? Also by his own admission hls interview didn't go well. I like everyone else love Lavitz and owe a huge debt of gratitude, but if you are looking for answers about Harvard my guess would be start with the interview.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:22 am

Lavitz, aren't you still on the second reserve at CLS? I'm really confused as to why they pulled eight or nine splitters (myself included) before you.

I hope these posters forgive what may seem like a personal target, but allow me to be frank: Lavitz, sinfiery and, to a lesser extent, TripTrip (prior to his UVA full ride and JS2) are good "cautionary tales" about calling someone a "sure thing" somewhere. I presumed Trip would have $75-$105k at CCN (he got waitlisted at all of them--I've literally never heard of someone with his numbers not being accepted into NYU) and that he was a presumptive admit at Harvard (though I'm glad it worked out for him in the end, after what was presumably a long, stressful process). Sinfiery ordinarily would be a pretty solid bet to be accepted to Harvard and was in at least Butler territory at CLS. (Side note: sinfiery, are you still on the CLS reserve?) Lavitz, as has been said, wound up with the roughest cycle I've ever seen. Unquestionably in at Harvard and a prime Hamilton candidate. Presuming he likes his Cornell full ride over the NYU $$ (because, well, he deposited at Cornell), then I would consider it fortunate that he even applied to Cornell. If I had the numbers of any of the above three applicants, I would not have applied outside of HYSCCN.

Looking for an explanation? Well, both Lavitz and sinfiery have weak softs, by their own admission, went to less-than-stellar UGs, and have said their JS1s went poorly. Then you have other possibilities an applicant couldn't anticipate: Maybe something in their PS concerned adcomms. Maybe there was a troubling LOR. Or, never forgetting that this is a human process, maybe they just "didn't click" or somehow made adcomms feel like something was wrong. It's possible that one of these things may not give pause, but perhaps you put four or five of them together and it raises a red flag. Bottom line: When some below-average applicants are let in, by definition some above-average applicants get locked out. For every 3.85/169 non-URM with no special softs that gets into Yale, there has to be someone who winds up disappointed.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:45 pm

wert3813 wrote:Isn't Lavitz a splitter? Also by his own admission hls interview didn't go well. I like everyone else love Lavitz and owe a huge debt of gratitude, but if you are looking for answers about Harvard my guess would be start with the interview.

My GPA is below Harvard's median, yes. However, I'm above both Columbia's 75ths, and they didn't do interviews. So I don't think the answer starts with the interview, though it certainly ends with it. A strong interview may have compensated for whatever other weaknesses were in my app, but as you point out, I admit it was mediocre.

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Lavitz, aren't you still on the second reserve at CLS? I'm really confused as to why they pulled eight or nine splitters (myself included) before you.

Yes. I was going to drop thanks to your and Tekrul's advice in that thread about deciding whether or not we would attend at sticker. But then I saw someone claim to get "significant aid" before the decision deadline and decided that I would always wonder "what if" if I didn't stick around for one more reserve.

I don't know why either. I suppose the fact that I haven't sent an LOCI might be part of the reason. But they probably just don't like me. They didn't even give me a fee waiver in the beginning.

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:I hope these posters forgive what may seem like a personal target, but allow me to be frank: Lavitz, sinfiery and, to a lesser extent, TripTrip (prior to his UVA full ride and JS2) are good "cautionary tales" about calling someone a "sure thing" somewhere.

I forgive you. In fact, I think you left out a few people, but I won't mention who.

I've always thought it was weird that some people thought Harvard was yield-protecting me or that I was lying about C&F issues instead of just accepting that maybe these schools didn't like me.

In fact, this is what I was looking at before the cycle:

I reasoned that 30% of people with similar numbers didn't get into Harvard. Since I knew my app better than everyone else, and I knew it was probably on the weaker side, I saw no reason to believe that I was a special snowflake and that there was no way I would be in that 30%. Yet people called me a lock.

I did expect to get into Columbia, but I guess I was stuck in that 15% there too. So I don't believe in calling anyone a "sure thing" either.

Anyway, sorry to OP for hijacking the thread. Although I think we answered your question and I already shared details of my app in PM so you know what an outlier's app looks like.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Lavitz wrote:Yes. I was going to drop thanks to your and Tekrul's advice in that thread about deciding whether or not we would attend at sticker. But then I saw someone claim to get "significant aid" before the decision deadline and decided that I would always wonder "what if" if I didn't stick around for one more reserve.

I don't know why either. I suppose the fact that I haven't sent an LOCI might be part of the reason. But they probably just don't like me. They didn't even give me a fee waiver in the beginning.

Do you qualify for need aid? The hybrid need/merit thing is weird, and I'm guessing they're not intending to give significant merit aid off the second reserve, but my understanding was that there has been some need aid (in the $25k-$40k range). If that ballpark could push you off Cornell, you might consider sending a LOCI--I know the CW is that it doesn't do much, but I believe it helped me get an interview. Couldn't hurt, if you think there's any chance you might still attend CLS at the right price.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:29 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Do you qualify for need aid? The hybrid need/merit thing is weird, and I'm guessing they're not intending to give significant merit aid off the second reserve, but my understanding was that there has been some need aid (in the $25k-$40k range). If that ballpark could push you off Cornell, you might consider sending a LOCI--I know the CW is that it doesn't do much, but I believe it helped me get an interview. Couldn't hurt, if you think there's any chance you might still attend CLS at the right price.

It's a very slim chance. Enough to get me to stay but not enough to make me write an LOCI. If they want me, they know where to find me. Otherwise, I'm perfectly content with Cornell.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote: For every 3.85/169 non-URM with no special softs that gets into Yale, there has to be someone who winds up disappointed.

That guy must have written one hell of a 250.

Return to “What are my chances?”