3.48/168

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Rudolph204
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:09 pm

3.48/168

Postby Rudolph204 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:36 pm

Hi everyone - been a frequent on this site for awhile but a first timer on the forum boards... was hoping to get some of your thoughts.

I'm an international male non-URM (from Canada); It was recommended by my adviser that I write an addendum for my low GPA - I had a devastating injury and needed a couple surgeries during my first year (subsequently my 1st year grades took a beating from the time away, rehab and the hardcore painkillers I was on). Each of my other years at University, however, my grades hovered anywhere between 3.65-3.80s

My Softs:
VP Internal for our University's Sustainability Network
I took the initiative to complete a few workshops at the CGBC and become a Tier 1 LEED certified professional
I've had a couple journal articles published while in Undergrad (non-law related; mostly in the field of sustainability management)
I held a summer internship with the UNEP's Convention of Biological Diversity in the Business and Biodiversity department
I placed at a few debate tournaments, including one at Yale

I've always had an affinity for either Stanford or UC Berkley; that said, after reading these forums I seem to get the impression that my chances aren't very promising for these two options given my numbers. Could anyone speculate on my chances for some other T14 schools? My brother went to NYU and loved it, so that has always been another possible option in the back of my mind too.

Sorry for the lengthy post - thanks in advance for the input!

User avatar
goldenboy514
Posts: 651
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:00 pm

Re: 3.48/168

Postby goldenboy514 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:49 pm

Im pretty new to this whole chance me thing so take advice with a grain of salt but...
3.48 is well below medians at UC berk and stanford. Your softs seem average (though im sure they are great accomplishments, most people applying have comparable ones). I think Stanford is out of the picture regardless of LSAT and you would need to pull the LSAT above UC berkley's 75th percentile to stand a chance there. May have a shot at UCLA or USC with those numbers though.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: 3.48/168

Postby Cobretti » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:19 pm

goldenboy514 wrote:Im pretty new to this whole chance me thing so take advice with a grain of salt but...
3.48 is well below medians at UC berk and stanford. Your softs seem average (though im sure they are great accomplishments, most people applying have comparable ones). I think Stanford is out of the picture regardless of LSAT and you would need to pull the LSAT above UC berkley's 75th percentile to stand a chance there. May have a shot at UCLA or USC with those numbers though.

Ya... you picked the wrong coast to love with that GPA, sorry man. 180 would still keep you out at S, and honestly probably Berk too. S and B are the most GPA obsessed schools in the T14 (by far).

As far as the rest of the T14 you need a couple more LSAT points to drastically improve your chances, but your GPA is good enough for any T14 CCN and below (sans-Berk). You gotta break 170 if you want a serious shot at T14, currently you're just under both medians at most of the T14, and that's a dangerous place to be.

Rudolph204
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:09 pm

Re: 3.48/168

Postby Rudolph204 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:25 pm

So I guess that means that my addendum won't really count for squat than? Frustrating that I have 3 years of university with GPA around the median for some T14 school but that my first year pitted me in such a deep hole...

Can anyone comment on their experience with an addendum? At first I hadn't even considered doing one because I felt it might be perceived as 'making excuses' for myself. On the flip side, my injury and the aftermath was quite severe...My roommate actually had to help dress me each morning because I was unable to manage on my own for a few months haha.

Am I better leaving out the addendum or should I go ahead with it like my adviser suggested?

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: 3.48/168

Postby Cobretti » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:43 pm

Rudolph204 wrote:So I guess that means that my addendum won't really count for squat than? Frustrating that I have 3 years of university with GPA around the median for some T14 school but that my first year pitted me in such a deep hole...

Can anyone comment on their experience with an addendum? At first I hadn't even considered doing one because I felt it might be perceived as 'making excuses' for myself. On the flip side, my injury and the aftermath was quite severe...My roommate actually had to help dress me each morning because I was unable to manage on my own for a few months haha.

Am I better leaving out the addendum or should I go ahead with it like my adviser suggested?

There are some addendums that have worked very well(3.0 non-URM got into Y this cycle). However, 99% of addendums do very little. The problem for you is that typically you need 3.8+ to get S, so even your 3.65-3.8 range would make you very unlikely to be admitted (and your LSAT is low for them as well). Berk has a pretty high GPA floor too, and your hypothetical 3.72ish adjusted GPA would be cutting it close.

Its your money though so throw out all the hail mary apps you want. YOLO

Rudolph204
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:09 pm

Re: 3.48/168

Postby Rudolph204 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:48 pm

hahah yolo....

alright well i appreciate the feedback!

Damn West Coast.....

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: 3.48/168

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:10 pm

Image

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: 3.48/168

Postby phillywc » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:07 pm

It should be noted that just a few more questions right would be huge for your chances of getting in/money at these schools.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: 3.48/168

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:25 pm

phillywc wrote:It should be noted that just a few more questions right would be huge for your chances of getting in/money at these schools.


+1. A 170 would give you a decent shot at the bottom half of the T14 (sans Berk... those GPA whores).

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: 3.48/168

Postby justonemoregame » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:37 pm

dm;fr / wustl

kinda joking - I would retake in your shoes, esp. if you didn't study for the LSAT a ton and feel like you left something on the table

tough call on the addendum - I don't think a brief statement would hurt you.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: 3.48/168

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:18 am

Rudolph204 wrote:I'm an international male non-URM (from Canada); It was recommended by my adviser that I write an addendum for my low GPA - I had a devastating injury and needed a couple surgeries during my first year (subsequently my 1st year grades took a beating from the time away, rehab and the hardcore painkillers I was on). Each of my other years at University, however, my grades hovered anywhere between 3.65-3.80s


Yes, you should definitely write the addendum. No question. Your kind of situation is exactly what is most suitable for grade addenda -- not the "I was immature and drank too much for the first two years" nonsense that explains a situation common to half of law school applicants. In this sort of addendum, you should provide a fair amount of detail. Bear in mind, however, that it's still mostly not going to be a game-changer. But it will keep anyone from making negative inferences about your first-year performances, and it could be helpful at the margins.

My Softs


Your softs are fine, but they won't have any real impact.

I've always had an affinity for either Stanford or UC Berkley; that said, after reading these forums I seem to get the impression that my chances aren't very promising for these two options given my numbers. Could anyone speculate on my chances for some other T14 schools? My brother went to NYU and loved it, so that has always been another possible option in the back of my mind too.


Are you open to retaking? A two-point increase would make a world of difference. A four-point increase makes you practically a lock at NYU.

Your odds at SLS are virtually nil, unfortunately, no matter your LSAT score. Berkeley also emphasizes GPA. However, even though Berkeley weights GPA heavily, they're also probably the most likely of any of the T14 to give significant consideration to your mitigating circumstances, provided you have a very strong LSAT score (172+). That said, Berkeley would still be unlikely.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: 3.48/168

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:20 am

Cobretti wrote:S and B are the most GPA obsessed schools in the T14 (by far).


I take it you mean relative to their LSAT obsession? 'Cause Y is as GPA-obsessed as anyone.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9637
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 3.48/168

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:54 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
Cobretti wrote:S and B are the most GPA obsessed schools in the T14 (by far).


I take it you mean relative to their LSAT obsession? 'Cause Y is as GPA-obsessed as anyone.


Yea its gotta be relative. Yale is crazy competitive, but its in both areas

Rudolph204
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:09 pm

Re: 3.48/168

Postby Rudolph204 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback/advice everyone!
Last edited by Rudolph204 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: 3.48/168

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:01 pm

Rudolph204 wrote:- taking a Honors/Jt. Honors degree instead of simply a major/double major degree? I wrote an exceptional honors thesis which required 3 months of independent research across N. America and Europe (Received a research grant in the process from National Geographic). I know that sometimes (though, rarely) admissions will consider the difficultly of the degree department (i.e. Philosophy vs. Chemistry majors), but I'm curious whether or not the type of degree has any influence (i.e. Major vs. Honors)?


This is the equivalent of a weak soft, but it's better to have it than not. Include the pertinent distinguishing details in your résumé. If the thesis turned out so well, do you think you can get an exceptional LOR from your thesis advisor?

- Also, how much weight/consideration is given to the prestige of an academic institution from which someone is applying? I'm coming from the top University in my country; ranked in the top 20 worldwide. My brother seems to think it will, especially on the East Coast (due to its geographic proximity), but I am rather skeptical...


Honestly, it won't make any difference. There's no real discernible effect of undergraduate prestige outside of the top three to five US universities.

- Finally, what role does being an international student mean for someone's chances; (i.e. are there some schools more accepting or discriminant than others - if so, can anyone provide examples)? I've heard rumors that a lot of U.S. universities often don't give as much consideration to Canadians/International applicants due to things like: different grading systems, different curriculum, etc...


This I can't say anything about other than to say that I've never heard it mentioned as giving anyone a leg up. Beyond that, no idea.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: 3.48/168

Postby wert3813 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:47 am

Ti Malice wrote:
Rudolph204 wrote:Also, how much weight/consideration is given to the prestige of an academic institution from which someone is applying? I'm coming from the top University in my country; ranked in the top 20 worldwide. My brother seems to think it will, especially on the East Coast (due to its geographic proximity), but I am rather skeptical...


Honestly, it won't make any difference. There's no real discernible effect of undergraduate prestige outside of the top three to five US universities.

- Finally, what role does being an international student mean for someone's chances; (i.e. are there some schools more accepting or discriminant than others - if so, can anyone provide examples)? I've heard rumors that a lot of U.S. universities often don't give as much consideration to Canadians/International applicants due to things like: different grading systems, different curriculum, etc...


This I can't say anything about other than to say that I've never heard it mentioned as giving anyone a leg up. Beyond that, no idea.


These two points basically cancel each other out. There are tons of people who have gone to the relevant schools from McGill/Toronto. You UG will be neither a concern or a boost. Get to studying the LSAT!




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ConLaw2017, dqn4, grades??, Mullens, myronbolitar and 6 guests