Planning for the 2014-15 cycle, "soft" factors and questions Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ihatethelsat25

New

Planning for the 2014-15 cycle, "soft" factors and questions

Post by ihatethelsat25 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:48 pm

Hello All,

I am not totally new to the lsat or prep, but I do have numerous questions. I recently graduated near the top of my class with a 3.67 overall and a 3.7 in my major. I had numerous internships throughout my tenure in school, but most notably I interned at the White House and I am a Fulbright grantee and thus will not be applying until Oct.-Nov. of 2014. I have not taken the lsat yet because I want to take it once and do not yet feel prepared.

I am looking for pointers on how to score in the 170+ range. I have taken a few practice tests, generally scoring in the low 160s (161-164) while timing myself, though these are generally the shortened portions that are only 4 sections. Advice? Also, hypothetically, where are my chances at t14 schools considering my soft factors if I am scoring in that range (as in without improvement).

Thanks and I hope to hear from the pros! :mrgreen:

Presidentjlh

Silver

Re: Planning for the 2014-15 cycle, "soft" factors and questions

Post by Presidentjlh » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:02 pm

Normally, softs don't mean crap, but that Fulbright is a nice plus.

Still, it's only good for putting you over the edge.

That GPA, I'm afraid, will probably keep you out of HYS, unless I'm underestimating the Fulbright. Other than them, the rest of the T14 is wide open, provided you do well on the LSAT.

169-171, you're probably in at Cornell and GULC. Maybe Northwestern. But you need to aim higher, because you need to get scholarship money.

You'll want to aim for a 173-175 range. You get that, you should be looking at good amounts of money up to CCN.

Also, forget that bullcrap anyone told you about how retaking the LSAT hurts your chances. It really doesn't.

Give yourself 4 months of good studying (20 hours a week) before your test date. Until then, relax.

BerkeleyBear

Bronze

Post by BerkeleyBear » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:20 pm

Without improvement, you might be able to land sticker at a T14/T20 school. If you can hit 172+ you've got a shot at some money at CCN down. Keep drilling and taking PT's until you reach your goal. Take the LSAT when you're ready. Relax and good luck.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:16 pm

Go to the LSAT prep forum and read the guides there. Develop a strategy for yourself and stick to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”