URM-foreign GPA-PhD holder

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
flowerhair789
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:11 pm

URM-foreign GPA-PhD holder

Postby flowerhair789 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:33 pm

Got good feedback. Thanks
Last edited by flowerhair789 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: URM-foreign GPA-PhD holder

Postby twenty » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:56 pm

If you get the full URM boost, you'll probably be okay in the T14 with a 165. But international GPAs are always viewed weirdly, so aim as high as you can.

Having a PhD is one of the best softs there is, outside of being an Olympic medalist or SEAL officer.

flowerhair789
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:11 pm

Re: URM-foreign GPA-PhD holder

Postby flowerhair789 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:02 pm

.....
Last edited by flowerhair789 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22892
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: URM-foreign GPA-PhD holder

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:31 pm

Actually, the Ph.D. doesn't make that much difference for admissions. Science is probably better than non-science, but people with Ph.D.s don't really outperform their numbers. Now, as for getting a job once you're admitted, the Ph.D. will be great. But it's generally much less significant for admissions.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: URM-foreign GPA-PhD holder

Postby twenty » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:01 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Actually, the Ph.D. doesn't make that much difference for admissions. Science is probably better than non-science, but people with Ph.D.s don't really outperform their numbers.


Worth qualifying -- admissions isn't going to let a 165 3.7 into Columbia because they have a PhD, but no one is going to look at your application and think, "yeah, but what have you done LATELY?" Olympic medalist and SEAL officer are game changers, the former more so. A PhD is not, but it's still frigging awesome.

flowerhair789
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:11 pm

Re: URM-foreign GPA-PhD holder

Postby flowerhair789 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:12 pm

....
Last edited by flowerhair789 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

flowerhair789
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:11 pm

Re: URM-foreign GPA-PhD holder

Postby flowerhair789 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:16 pm

...
Last edited by flowerhair789 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22892
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: URM-foreign GPA-PhD holder

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:28 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Actually, the Ph.D. doesn't make that much difference for admissions. Science is probably better than non-science, but people with Ph.D.s don't really outperform their numbers.


Worth qualifying -- admissions isn't going to let a 165 3.7 into Columbia because they have a PhD, but no one is going to look at your application and think, "yeah, but what have you done LATELY?" Olympic medalist and SEAL officer are game changers, the former more so. A PhD is not, but it's still frigging awesome.

I mean, it's nice to have and it certainly doesn't look bad. :D But some more points on the LSAT usually makes a bigger difference for admissions.

Agent
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: URM-foreign GPA-PhD holder

Postby Agent » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:25 pm

+1

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I mean, it's nice to have and it certainly doesn't look bad. :D But some more points on the LSAT usually makes a bigger difference for admissions.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest