Chances for Stanford/Harvard?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
LATimes

Chances for Stanford/Harvard?

Postby LATimes » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:29 pm

Hi-

First time poster, long time lurker.

I graduated from a top 15 university in the US in 2010 - I've done a year and a half in investment banking at a bulge bracket firm and a year in Corporate Strategy and M&A at an extremely large firm in the Entertainment industry in LA. Looking to apply to law school, and am specifically interested in Stanford or Harvard.

Had a 3.6 GPA in Business in undergrad, and 175 on the LSAT - what are my chances? Does my work experience help in any way?

sinfiery

Re: Chances for Stanford/Harvard?

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:33 pm

Chance at HLS but unlikely. Less to almost no chance at Stanford.

Columbia will love you.

Your WE will help but you are very close to HLSs GPA floor and likely under it.
Last edited by sinfiery on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:34 pm

Are you a URM

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:36 pm

You won't get into Stanford. Harvard is worth an application but you are nonetheless a long shot with that GPA. Your target should be CCN with money.

WE matters some, but law school is mostly a numbers game.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:53 pm

none

LATimes

Postby LATimes » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:22 pm

Asian, so not a URM

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:31 pm

saying "none" is pessimistic at any school except YS with a 175. OP has an outside shot at Harvard. Your WE & UG seem prestigious enough to attract attention. I wouldn't bet against you at H, but stanford is different because they don't care as much about their LSAT median, and your gpa works too hard against you

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:32 pm

also no offense to your goals, but an MBA from a top program seems like a much more reasonable/lucrative goal for you considering your background. do you have reasons besides salary ceilings for wanting to become an attorney? have you considered doing H or S MBA instead? there, your WE (and surely, high GMAT score) might be able to overcome your GPA a little more

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:53 pm

Might be worth taking the GMAT and applying for business schools alongside law schools. Then weigh out your options next spring.

LATimes

Postby LATimes » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Honestly think that is what I might do - apply simultaneously to both tracks. Reluctant to actually try to get a JD/MBA as I know quite a few people who started, and then did their first year as an MBA and gave up the JD.

As far as career pathing goes, have wanted to get into IP/new technology/venture law so that is why Stanford is so appealing.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:18 pm

LATimes wrote:Honestly think that is what I might do - apply simultaneously to both tracks. Reluctant to actually try to get a JD/MBA as I know quite a few people who started, and then did their first year as an MBA and gave up the JD.

As far as career pathing goes, have wanted to get into IP/new technology/venture law so that is why Stanford is so appealing.

Shoot for harvard JD/stanford MBA dual. That would be sick.

Return to “What are my chances?”