3.77 GPA/168 LSAT URM

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
antoniouf

3.77 GPA/168 LSAT URM

Postby antoniouf » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:05 pm

To be more specific with "URM" - I was born in Brazil.

What schools can I count on getting into and what schools would be considered my "reach" schools?

Also, what LSAT, if any, would guarantee me acceptance into Yale?

Thanks for all of your help.

Reinhardt

Re: 3.77 GPA/168 LSAT URM

Postby Reinhardt » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:09 pm

Brazilians are not considered URMs. You need ten more points on the LSAT or have grown up in poverty to have any chance of getting into Yale.

antoniouf

Postby antoniouf » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:16 pm

Wow I didn't know about the Brazilian thing. That really changes things. Thank you. You don't have to list every single one, but could you tell me generally which races fall into the "URM" classification?

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:18 pm

antoniouf wrote:Wow I didn't know about the Brazilian thing. That really changes things. Thank you. You don't have to list every single one, but could you tell me generally which races fall into the "URM" classification?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=35568

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:44 pm

The good news is, Hispanic is like URM-lite and does seem to provide an objective tie-breaking boost/scholarship money upper, especially if you have a good story.

You might be good on the low end of the T14 spectrum, but a 172-173 would drastically improve it. :)

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:17 am

No chance at yale

In at DCN, strong chance at MVP, tossup and nyu and probably WL but not certain at CC.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:10 am

You are a lock at Michigan, NU, Cornell and GULC with your current score. 2-3 more points will give you a shot at everywhere outside Yale and Stanford. Maybe a 180 will get you into Yale but it's still not likely.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:37 pm

There is no such think as a guaranteed acceptance to Yale

IMO, Blanket the top 30 and see what happens

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:50 pm

antoniouf wrote:To be more specific with "URM" - I was born in Brazil.

What schools can I count on getting into and what schools would be considered my "reach" schools?

Are you black?

radar714

Postby radar714 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:03 pm

francesfarmer wrote:

Are you black?

the first question that popped into my head was this. If you're dark-skinned/black Brazilian you can probably still qualify as an AA URM

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:41 pm

radar714 wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

Are you black?

the first question that popped into my head was this. If you're dark-skinned/black Brazilian you can probably still qualify as an AA URM

+1. "Brazilian" is a broad term, given the disparity between races within Brazil.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:52 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
+1. "Brazilian" is a broad term, given the disparity between races within Brazil.

Anybody know anything about racial identity politics in Brazil??? Would black Brazilians identify as "Brazilian" as opposed to black? I am confused.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:57 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:

Anybody know anything about racial identity politics in Brazil??? Would black Brazilians identify as "Brazilian" as opposed to black? I am confused.

Yes, they're called pretos (Afro-Brazilians) and they are black. But they're a small minority.

Other Brazilians - Silvas, Tiago Splitters, etc - basically any Brazilian other than what I mentioned, would receive no boost.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:06 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:

Yes, they're called pretos (Afro-Brazilians) and they are black. But they're a small minority.

Other Brazilians - Silvas, Tiago Splitters, etc - basically any Brazilian other than what I mentioned, would receive no boost.

to add here, roughly 8% of brazil's population are truly black, but many are mixed race. brazil had a similarly divided racial community as the states and very late emancipation. the degree to which someone is truly black would be tough to gauge, but there are definitely those who are truly white-ish in argentina/brazil and like to make a point of it

in fact, brazil probably has arguably worse race relations than the states from what I've heard. making it to a top US law school as an afro-brazilian would be very impressive considering the euro-descended population has an incredible amount of economic/political power and privilege in that country. segregation is far more rampant. that would be quite a story.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks, that is very interesting. I guess I assumed that most people in Brazil were very mixed and that OP would be more likely to be at least partially of african descent/genuinely identify as such.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:14 pm

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:32 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Yes, they're called pretos (Afro-Brazilians) and they are black. But they're a small minority.

"Pretos" is technically very offensive in Brazil. The politically correct term is "negros" (not that you'll ever need to know that).

jbagelboy wrote:in fact, brazil probably has arguably worse race relations than the states from what I've heard. making it to a top US law school as an afro-brazilian would be very impressive considering the euro-descended population has an incredible amount of economic/political power and privilege in that country. segregation is far more rampant. that would be quite a story.

You're absolutely right. I actually did a couple years of religious / humanitarian service in northeastern Brazil, and it was shocking to see how prevalent open racism was down there. There wasn't even a shadow of an attempt to hide it... being Afro-Brazilian (especially the "pure" Afro-Brazilians) practically deemed people unemployable. Pretty troubling stuff.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:40 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:

"Pretos" is technically very offensive in Brazil. The politically correct term is "negros" (not that you'll ever need to know that).

I thought negros was like everyone who's grandmother had been black, but they might only look remotely dark skinned themselves

race issues get real down there. I don't even want to get into it

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:42 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:in fact, brazil probably has arguably worse race relations than the states from what I've heard. making it to a top US law school as an afro-brazilian would be very impressive considering the euro-descended population has an incredible amount of economic/political power and privilege in that country. segregation is far more rampant. that would be quite a story.

You're absolutely right. I actually did a couple years of religious / humanitarian service in northeastern Brazil, and it was shocking to see how prevalent open racism was down there. There wasn't even a shadow of an attempt to hide it... being Afro-Brazilian (especially the "pure" Afro-Brazilians) practically deemed people unemployable. Pretty troubling stuff.

this sounds really cool (the program, not the racism -- assuming you weren't evangelizing, that is). Mind sharing what the program is specifically? you can PM if you'd prefer

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:56 pm

You BYU guys and your missions work. ;)

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:59 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:You BYU guys and your missions work. ;)

What can I say... it's what we do. Haha.

antoniouf

Postby antoniouf » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:45 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:

I fall into the Tiago Splitter category, for sure.

Return to “What are my chances?”