What's my best bet? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
southernbelle87

New

What's my best bet?

Post by southernbelle87 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:26 pm

GPA: 3.3 (Wellesley; over 3.5 for last four semesters/low because of first 3 semesters)
TFA alum (will reference in personal statement)
1 additional year WE in KIPP charter and 1 (will be almost 2 by the time I apply) in a NFP
Predicted LSAT: 170 (will be taking in October)

Now, here's where things get weird:

I want to head back to the deep South to practice (definitely not New York, Boston, LA, or Chicago); maybe a clerkship or DC area
Most likely want to head into to family law/child advocacy and would be perfectly happy to end up in a small firm in a small town and one day open my own practice (cannot imagine life in a firm with over 100)

As a result of what I want to do after, it is probably best that I minimize loans.

What's my best bet and what should be my reach and safety?

Thanks

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: What's my best bet?

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:28 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9&t=170051

At this stage of the game, this thread has everything you need

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:00 am

GPA will be prohibitive for large scholarships at Duke/UVA, even with a highly regarded private college. You could ED UVA and gun for their LRAP which is pretty solid, but I wouldnt bet $260K on getting an LRAP eligible position and holding it 10 years. Georgetown is also a possibility for their LRAP, and a little cash might flow if you got that LSAT up over 171ish.

You could get decent $$ at Emory with a high LSAT. Vandy is always a little stingy.

As for your pedigree, TFA is a small boost for admissions if you work it in well.

Best of luck!

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:32 pm

With your GPA/LSAT you'll be in a similar boat as what I would have been in had I applied. You're looking at close to sticker for most of the schools you'll get in, and you'll have to ride the acceptance waves in order to find out if you're one of the lucky splitters that gets offered close to a full ride to help a school maintain its medians.

It's unclear where you are, but if you have residency in texas, UT Austin is probably not a bad bet at all and could be worth the debt. Know that outside of UT at in-state sticker and the T14 at or near sticker, your best bet is going to be choosing the state you want to work in, and then going to the best in-state school.

This probably means going at in-state rate to FSU, GA State, LSU, Alabama, etc. Without knowing where you have residency/ties, you can't really get more targeted advice. That 170 might be nice, but if you don't want debt, aren't willing to take on sticker at T14 and aren't a texas resident, anything over a 167 (Alabama's 75th percentile) isn't going to help you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”