How do schools look at improving scores

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
patfeeney

How do schools look at improving scores

Postby patfeeney » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:19 pm

This might have been brought up before, but I couldn't seem to find a post regarding it.

On the LSAC website, it says schools tend to look favorably (at least relatively) upon candidates whose grades improve over time.
I understand that some claims the LSAC makes need to be taken with a grain of salt, but in everyone's prior experience, how seriously would you take this statement?

Personally, I'm aiming for T14. My cumulative GPA is a 3.54, which is chump change for T14. However, the poor grades were due to my abysmal first year at college (2.8, 3.2). As a junior, going on senior, my cume for the past four semesters is a 3.78, with a double major (3.7, 3.92, 3.68, 3.89). The difference between schools only considering my total cume and considering my GPA per semester may be the difference between being completely out of range for my top choices and being nearly in the median for them.

As a side note, the highest grade my school gives out is an A, so my cume should be pretty much on par with my official CAS GPA. I'm not expecting any significant drops or gains in that department.

francesfarmer

Re: How do schools look at improving scores

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:23 pm

An upward trend is a good sign, but it won't make or break you. Just kill the LSAT.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:20 pm

A 3.78 is still below median at several T-14s. If you want to get into Harvard, get that GPA up during senior year and wait an extra year to apply so your senior year grades count. Also get some A+'s at a local community college. And get a really high LSAT score.

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:17 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:A 3.78 is still below median at several T-14s. If you want to get into Harvard, get that GPA up during senior year and wait an extra year to apply so your senior year grades count. Also get some A+'s at a local community college. And get a really high LSAT score.

I'm looking Cornell and UPenn straight in the eye, although if I could get my GPA up, I might throw an app to either Harvard or Yale.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:16 pm

patfeeney wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:A 3.78 is still below median at several T-14s. If you want to get into Harvard, get that GPA up during senior year and wait an extra year to apply so your senior year grades count. Also get some A+'s at a local community college. And get a really high LSAT score.

I'm looking Cornell and UPenn straight in the eye, although if I could get my GPA up, I might throw an app to either Harvard or Yale.

You can still get in to Harvard with that GPA as long as your LSAT is solidly above their 173 median.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:01 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
patfeeney wrote:

You can still get in to Harvard with that GPA as long as your LSAT is solidly above their 173 median.

With a 3.54? Not if he's not URM.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:25 pm

Yeah my bad got confused thought he was at a 3.78

Return to “What are my chances?”