2.95-3.05 LSAC GPA. Is it over?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
laww

2.95-3.05 LSAC GPA. Is it over?

Postby laww » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:18 pm

I had a low gpa my first 2 years of college but I managed to raise it to 3.23.

Of course, the way LSAC computes GPA is different and I believe (if the online calculators I used are to be trusted) my LSAC GPA will be between 2.95 and 3.05.

As of yesterday I've taken 15 full practice tests. I am averaging 176 on them after taking a powerscore weekend course. I've not missed a single LG question on the past 6 tests and by October I'm planning on acing the LSAT. LR assumption and F-I-R questions still give me trouble and I need to seriously work on improving there.

I am going to try my best to score as close to 180 as possible on the actual test.

My question is whether I should even bother doing law if I am automatically denied into the top schools. HYSCCN won't even look at my application with my abysmal GPA. The remaining schools have median GPAs that are 0.7 higher than what I have. I've been thinking about whether I'm making the right decision here because from what I gather from TLS, there's almost no point pursuing law if I don't get into a T14.

I don't want to study law to make big bucks. I want to be able to practice law and maybe make a positive change in this world. As an immigrant I am thankful for the rights this country affords to its people and I would love to do something that makes these rights even more comprehensive. I'm sure some of the folks here are going to laugh at how cheesey that sounded but go ahead!

My fall back plan (if not law) is to find a job as a programmer since I studied CS in UG. It isn't as "cool" as law but I really would rather do something else than sit debugging all day!

LSATSCORES2012

Re: 2.95-3.05 LSAC GPA. Is it over?

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:24 pm

laww wrote:I had a low gpa my first 2 years of college but I managed to raise it to 3.23.

Of course, the way LSAC computes GPA is different and I believe (if the online calculators I used are to be trusted) my LSAC GPA will be between 2.95 and 3.05.

As of yesterday I've taken 15 full practice tests. I am averaging 176 on them after taking a powerscore weekend course. I've not missed a single LG question on the past 6 tests and by October I'm planning on acing the LSAT. LR assumption and F-I-R questions still give me trouble and I need to seriously work on improving there.

I am going to try my best to score as close to 180 as possible on the actual test.

My question is whether I should even bother doing law if I am automatically denied into the top schools. HYSCCN won't even look at my application with my abysmal GPA. The remaining schools have median GPAs that are 0.7 higher than what I have. I've been thinking about whether I'm making the right decision here because from what I gather from TLS, there's almost no point pursuing law if I don't get into a T14.

I don't want to study law to make big bucks. I want to be able to practice law and maybe make a positive change in this world. As an immigrant I am thankful for the rights this country affords to its people and I would love to do something that makes these rights even more comprehensive. I'm sure some of the folks here are going to laugh at how cheesey that sounded but go ahead!

My fall back plan (if not law) is to find a job as a programmer since I studied CS in UG. It isn't as "cool" as law but I really would rather do something else than sit debugging all day!

The GPA won't be a barrier at Northwestern as long as you get a high LSAT score. Cheer up and get studying :)

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:02 pm

Yea HYSCCN wont look at you but a handful of splitter friendly T14s might. How comfortable are you paying sticker?

laww

Postby laww » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:22 pm

If I get into a good school and have to pay sticker then I guess I will have to be prepared to accept it.

Would it be okay to apply to Harvard and Stanford even though my GPA is low? I know my chance is close to 0 but just for fun...

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:38 pm

laww wrote:If I get into a good school and have to pay sticker then I guess I will have to be prepared to accept it.

Would it be okay to apply to Harvard and Stanford even though my GPA is low? I know my chance is close to 0 but just for fun...

It's not close to 0. It is 0. But knock yourself out.

side note: everyone "plans" to ace the LSAT. Are you taking everything fully timed?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:20 pm

laww wrote:If I get into a good school and have to pay sticker then I guess I will have to be prepared to accept it.

it won't be fun to apply and spend $120 on it. they won't read the application. whether its "okay" to apply is an inane question. I mean, its not illegal, and its your time and money

laww

Postby laww » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:49 pm

Taking timed at the library. I read an article on TLS (one of the 3 or 4 "How I scored a 180") in which the author suggested adding a 5th section chosen randomly from another test to the four sections to simulate an actual LSAT. I looked up how the actual LSAT is taken and I'm following those protocols when I'm there.

I only asked whether it would be a good idea because one person in my number range was accepted. The chance of getting in is basically 0 but if I have the money and LSAT score then I will take it :P I want to say YOLO but then I'm reminded of my GPA :<

Postby 062914123 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:53 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laww

Postby laww » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:45 pm

bee wrote:
laww wrote:Taking timed at the library. I read an article on TLS (one of the 3 or 4 "How I scored a 180") in which the author suggested adding a 5th section chosen randomly from another test to the four sections to simulate an actual LSAT. I looked up how the actual LSAT is taken and I'm following those protocols when I'm there.

I only asked whether it would be a good idea because one person in my number range was accepted. The chance of getting in is basically 0 but if I have the money and LSAT score then I will take it :P I want to say YOLO but then I'm reminded of my GPA :<

I know this is no help, but I'm planning to apply to HYS even though my chances are slim to none... Like you said, YOLO. I would always wonder "what if" if I didn't send a hail mary to the top 3.

Haha good luck to both of us :D

rmorris87

Postby rmorris87 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Unfortunately, yes. It is completely and totally over.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:02 pm

If you're OK with shelling out $200, then by all means "just apply for fun." Just know that with your GPA, H and S are not going to happen. You'll still get some T14 bites if you can ace the LSAT, though. Good luck!

laww

Postby laww » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:50 pm

I looked up 3.5+ GPA and 173+ LSAT on mylsn.info and it seems like mostly trolls. Someone getting $1,000,000 from Yale? What?

:S

edit: nvm it seems there are a lot of trolls on that site when you search for very high GPAs/LSATs. welp break time is over back to grinding out some more Logical reasoning!

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:02 pm

If your actual score is in line with your practice score, you should have a couple of T14 options. Have you graduated yet? If not, can you take some easy CC courses for As this summer? Getting your GPA up to 3.0 isn't essential, but it would be helpful to your chances. It's important to understand that officially graduating permanently freezes your GPA. (By the way, are you URM?)

NU is the friendliest school to people in your situation, but they strongly prefer applicants with WE. If you're still in school, have you thought about working for a couple of years? This would give you the added advantage of more time to pull up your GPA before submitting your transcript. Employers also look more favorably on people who have worked before attending LS.

Since you would be paying sticker at any T14, consider a smart staggered ED strategy. Search for Samara's guide for splitters. Play around with this site to get an idea of your options: http://www.mylsn.info/app_checker.php.

Don't waste your money on YHS.

boredtodeath

Postby boredtodeath » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:53 am

If you score in the range of your practice tests I think you will definitely get T14 acceptances. Is your GPA 2.95 or 3.05 though? I believe that might make a big difference.

But honestly, even with a 3.0, if you score a 176 on the LSAT (obviously this is not a given), or even, let's say, 3 or 4 points worse than that, I think you are in at GULC and probably NU. Mich/UVA, especially either ED, would also be a significant possibility. I think if you can hit 173+ on your LSAT you should be good for some T14 acceptances. Don't expect any $$$ with that GPA though.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:06 pm

If you're okay with paying sticker, then ED UVA should be your first option, and RD NU/GULC your second.

If you are at all hesitant to pay sticker, seriously consider just seeing what you can get with a CS degree. If you can find a starting salary of $75k+, you might not want to bother with law school.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:39 pm

NU has given many splitters with 3.0 GPAs 30k schollies

Lexaholik

Postby Lexaholik » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:16 pm

laww wrote:I had a low gpa my first 2 years of college but I managed to raise it to 3.23.

first, if you think law is cool, you should disabuse yourself of that belief. law is not cool. it is a grind, especially if you achieve conventional success and land at a fancy pants school, graduate with honors, and end up at a fancy pants firm.

second, practice scores mean nothing. get a real lsat score first.

third, although getting into law school is heavily weighted towards the lsat, success in law is related to a bunch of personality traits that have nothing to do with how you do on a test. i'm sure you've heard this before, but that doesn't make it any less true. i know a bunch of sub 3.0 & 170+ folks from law school. all got into my t14. some failed the bar. multiple times. others hopped from non legal job to non legal job afterwards. still others got law review, top appellate clerkships, and prestige firm jobs.

as a sub 3.0 candidate your future career has high volatility regardless of whether you go to a t14 or not.

bottom line is, you can get into a t14 with that gpa. even if you don't, you can still have a phenomenal legal career, so don't assume that if you don't get in, you're screwed. but even if you do get t14, don't rest on your laurels cuz once you make it, the game's just begun.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:05 pm

These days even NYU isn't an auto-ding with a GPA around 3 if your LSAT comes in high enough.

laww

Postby laww » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:17 am

zombie associate wrote:

first, if you think law is cool, you should disabuse yourself of that belief. law is not cool. it is a grind, especially if you achieve conventional success and land at a fancy pants school, graduate with honors, and end up at a fancy pants firm.

second, practice scores mean nothing. get a real lsat score first.

third, although getting into law school is heavily weighted towards the lsat, success in law is related to a bunch of personality traits that have nothing to do with how you do on a test. i'm sure you've heard this before, but that doesn't make it any less true. i know a bunch of sub 3.0 & 170+ folks from law school. all got into my t14. some failed the bar. multiple times. others hopped from non legal job to non legal job afterwards. still others got law review, top appellate clerkships, and prestige firm jobs.

as a sub 3.0 candidate your future career has high volatility regardless of whether you go to a t14 or not.

bottom line is, you can get into a t14 with that gpa. even if you don't, you can still have a phenomenal legal career, so don't assume that if you don't get in, you're screwed. but even if you do get t14, don't rest on your laurels cuz once you make it, the game's just begun.

I agree 100%.

However my first two years were rough due to illness (had a surgery) and it was hard to adjust back to college life. I did poorly in 100/200 level courses. In my final two years of college, however, I did very well in 300/400 level courses that built upon the 100/200 level courses in which I did not do well.

Return to “What are my chances?”