172, 3.52 New York Schools

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
pwnyc127
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 am

172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby pwnyc127 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:27 pm

I just had a discussion with a pre-law advisor at my college and she said that a 172 and a 3.52 is not sufficient for NYU or Columbia. She said that a high lsat and a good GPA are necessary, however they are not sufficient. According to her, you must have additional experience that separates you from other applicants like starting a non-profit organization or negotiating peace between rival gangs in your neighborhood. Is this accurate or a crock of BS?

User avatar
dsn32
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby dsn32 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:32 pm

pwnyc127 wrote:I just had a discussion with a pre-law advisor at my college and she said that a 172 and a 3.52 is not sufficient for NYU or Columbia. She said that a high lsat and a good GPA are necessary, however they are not sufficient. According to her, you must have additional experience that separates you from other applicants like starting a non-profit organization or negotiating peace between rival gangs in your neighborhood. Is this accurate or a crock of BS?


Don't listen to these people, they are clueless. Softs don't matter that much, and your LSAT likely gives you a non-zero chance at NYU. Columbia is probably a longshot, but you'll at least get on their very large WL, and from there who knows. I would say apply to both, because you never know.

wisdom
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:05 pm

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby wisdom » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:33 pm

I think she's not so wrong about her conclusion although wrong in reasoning. I don't think that softs matter that much, but you're below 25th GPA and around 50th percentile LSAT for NYU, so you have some shot at getting in but you're not a lock. Unlikely at Columbia. Still, as previous poster said, can't hurt to apply.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15487
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:23 pm

3.5/172 has a great shot at NYU these days. Softs are generally meaningless but especially so at NYU.

http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby Clearly » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:41 pm

I think you have a decent shot at nyu, long shot at c

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:53 pm

crock of shit, but you're a little borderline for nyu, and fairly unlikely for cls

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9639
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:32 pm

pwnyc127 wrote:I just had a discussion with a pre-law advisor at my college and she said that a 172 and a 3.52 is not sufficient for NYU or Columbia. She said that a high lsat and a good GPA are necessary, however they are not sufficient. According to her, you must have additional experience that separates you from other applicants like starting a non-profit organization or negotiating peace between rival gangs in your neighborhood. Is this accurate or a crock of BS?


for Yale, maybe the bolded would be helpful for you to stand out, assuming your GPA was within range so they would read your app. At CCN? it's BS -- the 172 gets you in to NYU and down. They have a very numbers driven admissions policy.

chadbrochill
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 am

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby chadbrochill » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:53 pm

I would ED NYU, several people with those numbers got in this year with a bit of $ too.

ncc5
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:24 pm

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby ncc5 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:02 am

Almost identical numbers (close enough to not matter) and I got into NYU and WL at CLS. So yeah, its a crock.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:08 am

Why do people speak out of their asses and not just check mylsn.info?

Image

Probably in at NYU. WL at CLS.

/thread

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:55 am

If you get into Columbia, make sure to give Christina Shelby a holla for me :)

Image

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:36 am

Roughly 90% of prelaw advisors should be rounded up and shot, and most of those spared should still be mercilessly horsewhipped. They're almost uniformly worthless.

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Why do people speak out of their asses and not just check mylsn.info?


Exactly what I was about to say.

OP is also not "around 50th percentile" for LSAT at NYU, as someone said above -- OP is above median, and that's a critical fact.

OP, looking at the last three cycles, which are the closest analogues we have for the coming cycle, you're essentially a lock at NYU. The sample size is small, but the data still suggests that you should throw an app at CLS and Chicago.

Image

linkx13
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby linkx13 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:06 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Roughly 90% of prelaw advisors should be rounded up and shot, and most of those spared should still be mercilessly horsewhipped. They're almost uniformly worthless.

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Why do people speak out of their asses and not just check mylsn.info?


Exactly what I was about to say.

OP is also not "around 50th percentile" for LSAT at NYU, as someone said above -- OP is above median, and that's a critical fact.

OP, looking at the last three cycles, which are the closest analogues we have for the coming cycle, you're essentially a lock at NYU. The sample size is small, but the data still suggests that you should throw an app at CLS and Chicago.

[


The sample sizes for this are laughably small. Is there a website with actual good data?

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:49 pm

linkx13 wrote:The sample sizes for this are laughably small.


Uh, no they're not -- not for NYU and several other schools. The Pearson correlation coefficient between GPA/LSAT and overall admissions outcomes for NYU is over 0.8 when adjusted for URM variance. This sample size gives you a p-value of a few ten-thousandths. The data above is plenty useful for a number of schools on the chart with high correlation values. No one's saying OP should use it for YHS.

Is there a website with actual good data?


This is the best there is, and the data is excellent. If you widen the parameters a bit, you'll have much larger samples. Of course, if you widen them carelessly (i.e. without regard to LSAT medians and GPA floors/medians, or by including cycles that serve as poor analogues), you'll get larger sample sizes but lower statistical power.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9639
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:10 am

Ti Malice wrote:
linkx13 wrote:The sample sizes for this are laughably small.


Uh, no they're not -- not for NYU and several other schools. The Pearson correlation coefficient between GPA/LSAT and overall admissions outcomes for NYU is over 0.8 when adjusted for URM variance. This sample size gives you a p-value of a few ten-thousandths.


This is pretty amazing. NYU is that predictable

User avatar
Clyde Frog
Posts: 7086
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:27 am

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby Clyde Frog » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:17 am

pwnyc127 wrote:I just had a discussion with a pre-law advisor at my college and she said that a 172 and a 3.52 is not sufficient for NYU or Columbia. She said that a high lsat and a good GPA are necessary, however they are not sufficient. According to her, you must have additional experience that separates you from other applicants like starting a non-profit organization or negotiating peace between rival gangs in your neighborhood. Is this accurate or a crock of BS?


The pre-law advisor at my school tells students that they must take required pre-law courses or they can't get into law school.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:44 am

Clyde Frog wrote:
The pre-law advisor at my school tells students that they must take required pre-law courses or they can't get into law school.



are you fucking kidding me?

User avatar
Nothing but the Funk
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby Nothing but the Funk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:40 am

Clyde Frog wrote:
pwnyc127 wrote:I just had a discussion with a pre-law advisor at my college and she said that a 172 and a 3.52 is not sufficient for NYU or Columbia. She said that a high lsat and a good GPA are necessary, however they are not sufficient. According to her, you must have additional experience that separates you from other applicants like starting a non-profit organization or negotiating peace between rival gangs in your neighborhood. Is this accurate or a crock of BS?


The pre-law advisor at my school tells students that they must take required pre-law courses or they can't get into law school.


This is why I stopped meeting with my pre-law advisor after my first semester.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:01 pm

LOL. I literally had two crappy jobs on my resume, no volunteer experience, and the last organization I participated in was my high school sports team. My median+above median numbers got me into both schools back in 09.

A prelaw advisor told me to apply to a T4 and then do an LLM at Harvard and it would be "like the same thing." So glad I'd found this place before hearing that.

I'm actually thinking of volunteering as a pre-law advisor to people at my undergrad to counter all the BS.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9639
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:12 pm

timbs4339 wrote:LOL. I literally had two crappy jobs on my resume, no volunteer experience, and the last organization I participated in was my high school sports team. My median+above median numbers got me into both schools back in 09.

A prelaw advisor told me to apply to a T4 and then do an LLM at Harvard and it would be "like the same thing." So glad I'd found this place before hearing that.

I'm actually thinking of volunteering as a pre-law advisor to people at my undergrad to counter all the BS.


I'm going to offer this service as well




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 7 guests