Chances at Penn ED

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ld2233

Chances at Penn ED

Postby ld2233 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:16 pm

I am wondering what my chances are if I am willing to ED at Penn this Fall.

LSAT: 174
GPA: 3.17
WE: 2 years (at time of application)

Thanks!

Grazzhoppa

Re: Chances at Penn ED

Postby Grazzhoppa » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Probably pretty good, I wouldnt ED though as you wont get any money. ED to Northwestern instead and see if you get that 150k

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Grazzhoppa wrote:Probably pretty good, I wouldnt ED though as you wont get any money. ED to Northwestern instead and see if you get that 150k

NU does not give full rides to people that aren't above both medians (or target median for the next year). If you are able to cover sticker and know Penn is your top choice it would probably be a good use of an ED with your #s

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:28 pm

There were 5 non-urm people accepted in LSN in your GPA range. This is out of 24 applicants. (omitting the URM admit). Given your LSAT, I'd give you a greater than this 20% chance though. This girl for example was probably ED:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/akhamilton17

So it is possible. Probably near 50% chance with ED.

Consider, however, that ED risks paying sticker. If you apply RD with a 174, you could get some $$ from other schools like UVA and NU. Only ED Penn if you are ready for sticker.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:37 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Grazzhoppa wrote:Probably pretty good, I wouldnt ED though as you wont get any money. ED to Northwestern instead and see if you get that 150k

NU does not give full rides to people that aren't above both medians (or target median for the next year). If you are able to cover sticker and know Penn is your top choice it would probably be a good use of an ED with your #s

This.
I'm so tired of people telling splitters to go ED NU. The whole point of this program to poach HYSCC applicants, not to give free money to people who might not even get into another T14. The standards for the ED NU full ride are very high.

Archangel

Postby Archangel » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:52 pm

Penn has two rounds for ED applicants which may give you the added benefit of EDing to another school if your heart desires or even applying early and seeing if you get any hits from blanket T14 RDing.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/

Profile http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Griffneedslaw ED with 55k

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:05 pm

Archangel wrote:Penn has two rounds for ED applicants which may give you the added benefit of EDing to another school if your heart desires or even applying early and seeing if you get any hits from blanket T14 RDing.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/

Profile http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Griffneedslaw ED with 55k

He said it was all need based, but still an interesting data point. Really surprised he got in with those #s

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:09 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

This.
I'm so tired of people telling splitters to go ED NU. The whole point of this program to poach HYSCC applicants, not to give free money to people who might not even get into another T14. The standards for the ED NU full ride are very high.

+1

For future reference, everyone, ED NU is not analogous to ED MVP at all. Actually, they're pretty much polar opposite strategies.

MVP ED = Locking yourself into attendance and sticker in order to punch above your weight class
NU ED = Locking yourself into attendance and punching well below your weight class to have guaranteed $$$ in T14

A 3.17 who applies NU ED just wastes an app fee; they wouldn't even read the rest. The medians of NU's EDs this cycle were 3.8/172--pretty much everyone accepted would've been a good bet to be in at CCN.

OP should ED to one of MVP, depending on which he prefers (it sounds like Penn). OP could conceivably ED to all three--it might be his best play. Should MVP fail, he's looking at NU and GULC, which are the only others that will take that GPA.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:22 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:I'm so tired of people telling splitters to go ED NU. The whole point of this program to poach HYSCC applicants, not to give free money to people who might not even get into another T14. The standards for the ED NU full ride are very high.

+1

For future reference, everyone, ED NU is not analogous to ED MVP at all. Actually, they're pretty much polar opposite strategies.

MVP ED = Locking yourself into attendance and sticker in order to punch above your weight class
NU ED = Locking yourself into attendance and punching well below your weight class to have guaranteed $$$ in T14

A 3.17 who applies NU ED just wastes an app fee; they wouldn't even read the rest. The medians of NU's EDs this cycle were 3.8/172--pretty much everyone accepted would've been a good bet to be in at CCN.

OP should ED to one of MVP, depending on which he prefers (it sounds like Penn). OP could conceivably ED to all three--it might be his best play. Should MVP fail, he's looking at NU and GULC, which are the only others that will take that GPA.

I think ED NU is also used to draw back highly qualified wildcats who are intent enough on sticking around since they "love evanston" to not leave for HYSCCN

Grazzhoppa

Postby Grazzhoppa » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:36 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

This.

+1

my bad

ld2233

Postby ld2233 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:17 pm

I am willing to pay sticker for Penn if I get in, so fortunately (and luckily) that is no concern.

I am just curious if I have a legitimate shot at getting in with my low GPA or if I shouldn't get my hopes up?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:38 pm

ld2233 wrote:I am willing to pay sticker for Penn if I get in, so fortunately (and luckily) that is no concern.

I am just curious if I have a legitimate shot at getting in with my low GPA or if I shouldn't get my hopes up?

You have a shot, but definitely prepare alternatives. No one can tell you explicitly what your chances are since splitter cycles are unpredictable, but people with your GPA have gained admission this year to Penn.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:08 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

This.

+1

Yep. "ED NU" is not a solution for splitters. Period.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:19 pm

mr.hands wrote:Yep. "ED NU" is not a solution for splitters. Period.

This should be clarified a bit. Some sub-3.6 GPAs have gotten it without being URMs, so you don't exactly have to be above both medians. But yeah a traditional 3.1/173 splitter isn't getting it.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
mr.hands wrote:Yep. "ED NU" is not a solution for splitters. Period.

This should be clarified a bit. Some sub-3.6 GPAs have gotten it without being URMs, so you don't exactly have to be above both medians. But yeah a traditional 3.1/173 splitter isn't getting it.

Right. i'm really referring to true splitters, below one 25% and above one 75%.

Return to “What are my chances?”