174 LSAT/ 3.1 GPA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
baysidenyc

174 LSAT/ 3.1 GPA

Postby baysidenyc » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:52 pm

Currently deciding between applying to law or going to work for a nonprofit for my undergrad degree (urban studies/ english dual major)

I would like to stay in NYC but I am not sure if any decent schools would accept me due to my GPA. I've been working full time (3.5 years, tech) while at undergrad but has no real relevancy but I am hoping it can explain why my GPA isn't as high as someone who focuses only on school.

I graduated from CUNY with zero debt and some connections to city council members (from taught classes) who can write me recommendation letters.

Is it possible to attend NYU or something similar based on my current stats or will my GPA/School limit my choices? I would consider fordham, cardozo, cuny law but I am not sure if these are worth the cost of attending since I will most likely take out loans.

Clearly

Re: 174 LSAT/ 3.1 GPA

Postby Clearly » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:56 pm

Very similar applicant here. NY as a smart choice is likely out for you, the only three schools worth attending at sticker in NY are Columbia/NYU/Cornell (and only if you want to stay in NY). However, you're still a competitive applicant at other schools that are worth attending, notably: Northwestern or UVA.

Or you could always shoot for significant money at Fordham/Carbozo etc, as long as you understand getting a job isn't a guarantee, and biglaw is highly unlikely.

baysidenyc

Postby baysidenyc » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:42 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Very similar applicant here. NY as a smart choice is likely out for you, the only three schools worth attending at sticker in NY are Columbia/NYU/Cornell (and only if you want to stay in NY). However, you're still a competitive applicant at other schools that are worth attending, notably: Northwestern or UVA.

Or you could always shoot for significant money at Fordham/Carbozo etc, as long as you understand getting a job isn't a guarantee, and biglaw is highly unlikely.

If I went to fordham how bad would my chances at biglaw be?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:48 pm

baysidenyc wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:Very similar applicant here. NY as a smart choice is likely out for you, the only three schools worth attending at sticker in NY are Columbia/NYU/Cornell (and only if you want to stay in NY). However, you're still a competitive applicant at other schools that are worth attending, notably: Northwestern or UVA.

Hard to say, 15 or 20% maybe? Certainly not worth sticker. You're a good candidate for nu though.

CourCour

Postby CourCour » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Maybe I'm off but with your numbers and considering that you held a full time job during UG I think its worth applying to the top schools in NY. Very well written essays gives you a shot a NYU, Columbia, and Penn and makes you pretty much a shoe in at Cornell. I recommend "How to Get into a Top Law School" and "MBA Admissions Strategy" to help with building a profile for your app.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
baysidenyc wrote:

Hard to say, 15 or 20% maybe? Certainly not worth sticker. You're a good candidate for nu though.

Needs post-grad WE to have a good shot at NU.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:15 pm

CourCour wrote:Maybe I'm off but with your numbers and considering that you held a full time job during UG I think its worth applying to the top schools in NY. Very well written essays gives you a shot a NYU, Columbia, and Penn and makes you pretty much a shoe in at Cornell. I recommend "How to Get into a Top Law School" and "MBA Admissions Strategy" to help with building a profile for your app.

You are indeed off.

CourCour

Postby CourCour » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:15 am

Law School Predictor puts his chances at

Columbia: Deny 11% admitted at/below his index
NYU: Deny 13%
Penn: Consider 30%
Cornell: Strong Consider 53%

What that says to me is he does have a chance of being admitted the extras like working full time and a well put together app he has a chance.

Looking at lawschoolnumbers this cycle.
At NYU the 174, 3.1 got in, 174. 3.2 got WL, and 174, 3.3 got in.
At Columbia all the 174 splitters got WL'd.
At Penn they accepted a 172, 3.01, a 174, 3.1, and a 174, 3.2 and WL'd 3 or 4 candidates around 174, 31.
At Cornell they accepted a 174, 3.29 and and 172, 3.3. No candidates in the 174, 3.1 range.

So, OP you aren't a shoe in but don't count yourself out yet.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:03 am

CourCour wrote:Law School Predictor

This site is garbage in general and worse than useless for splitters. Just so you're aware.

gertie

Postby gertie » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:17 am

I work with a lawyer in my office who had stats similar to yours and went to NYU for law school. That was 7 years ago but it is possible. She was not a minority and graduated from a college in Michigan(not univ of Michigan).

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:08 pm

Unlikely but possible. Your best bet is to apply widely in the t14 and take a 3 year break from NYC. All.these schools can bring you back, that is the consequence of your GPA.

Return to “What are my chances?”