3.71 from Ivy, work experience, aiming to apply next cycle

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
youngmunny

3.71 from Ivy, work experience, aiming to apply next cycle

Postby youngmunny » Fri May 31, 2013 1:57 am

Hi All,

I recently decided to apply this upcoming cycle (Fall '14 class) and am aiming to start preparing for the Oct. LSAT. I'm wondering if it might be overly ambitious given the short time to prep for the test and to pull my application together and if I'd be safer for me to wait another year before I apply. Let me know what you think -

GPA- 3.71 honors track in a renown interdisciplinary humanities program, graduated with honors from Harvard in '12

Work Experience- I spent the past year at a prestigious consulting firm, and I'm now working at a bulge-bracket bank dealing with their legal department

LSAT Score: I'm most concerned about this aspect of the application. Historically, I've never been a strong test-taker. I plan on studying pretty intensely and think I can probably safely pull off ~171 with some self prep, and hopefully higher if I really gun it and invest in classes

URM?: Asian female - plenty of those applying

Ideally I'm aiming for Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Columbia, NYU, and Berkeley. It'd be great to get insight on the following things:

1) I noticed that my GPA is on the lower percentile of admitted applicants to many of these programs. I certainly don't think that my UG entitles me to anything, but cognizant that I was a very normal kid in classes with certified geniuses, I wonder whether my UG affiliation might help to redeem my comparatively lower GPA in the applicant pool

2) I'd ideally like to apply for the upcoming cycle, but I don't know if I have enough time to pull my LSAT score to where it would need to be for me to get in. I know higher is always better, but what do you think is the lowest score would I need to hit by October if I want to be a solid candidate?

Any input and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Last edited by youngmunny on Fri May 31, 2013 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Re: 3.71 from Ivy, work experience, aiming to apply next cycle

Postby Clearly » Fri May 31, 2013 2:02 am

You should be fine for Oct if you start now, considering your cold score is great for a diagnostic. Also, don't worry about what your lowest score yada yada, aim and prep for 180, and figure out your best option when you get your score back, not before.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri May 31, 2013 2:14 am

2) I'd ideally like to apply for the upcoming cycle, but I don't know if I have enough time to pull my LSAT score to where it would need to be for me to get in.

I think you can do it . Better get started though. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=195603

I know higher is always better, but what do you think is the lowest score would I need to hit by October if I want to be a solid candidate?

Generally, at or above the median LSAT

Postby 062914123 » Fri May 31, 2013 3:03 am

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 31, 2013 3:36 am

youngmunny wrote:I recently decided to apply this upcoming cycle (Fall '14 class) and am aiming to start preparing for the Oct. LSAT. I'm wondering if it might be overly ambitious given the short time to prep for the test and to pull my application together and if I'd be safer for me to wait another year before I apply. Let me know what you think -

I think you'll have plenty of time to study, if you start now. I studied from roughly June 1 to the October exam and took a PS class. You just have to stop going out every weekend, track your time well, ect., esp. if you're working FT.

youngmunny wrote:GPA- 3.71 honors track in a renown interdisciplinary humanities program, graduated with honors from Harvard in '12

same GPA, similar UG

youngmunny wrote:Work Experience- I spent the past year at a prestigious consulting firm, and I'm now working at a bulge-bracket bank dealing with their legal department

also work in v20 consulting, where were you at? consulting WE can have a small bump

youngmunny wrote:LSAT Score: I'm most concerned about this aspect of the application. Historically, I've never been a strong test-taker. I plan on studying pretty intensely and think I can probably safely pull off ~171 with some self prep, and hopefully higher if I really gun it and invest in classes

You're a strong test taker. You must have hit minimum 2250 SAT to be where you are now. Study intensely per the above, take nights you'd normally spend out and PT. seriously worth the extra mile

youngmunny wrote:URM?: Asian female - plenty of those applying

not URM in any way. Asian/White are the over-represented ones. no bump here.

youngmunny wrote:Ideally I'm aiming for Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Columbia, NYU, and Berkeley. It'd be great to get insight on the following things:

1) I noticed that my GPA is on the lower percentile of admitted applicants to many of these programs. I certainly don't think that my UG entitles me to anything, but cognizant that I was a very normal kid in classes with certified geniuses, I wonder whether my UG affiliation might help to redeem my comparatively lower GPA in the applicant pool

2) I'd ideally like to apply for the upcoming cycle, but I don't know if I have enough time to pull my LSAT score to where it would need to be for me to get in. I know higher is always better, but what do you think is the lowest score would I need to hit by October if I want to be a solid candidate?

Harvard likes its own undergrads, and will sometimes take them with slightly lower GPA's if they keep a solid LSAT. You are below 25th tho, so its still a long shot even with 172-174 LSAT (I got held -> ding at H this cycle). I think you have a fighting chance at HLS with crimson UG at 176+, so make that your ultimate target.

Your GPA puts you out at YS most likely (definitely out at yale, wouldn't count on S -- I was WL still waiting). Score 170 and you'll be in at NYU although probably close to sticker; 172 or over and you are in at Columbia. Berkeley is difficult to gauge, you would need to have a CA focus and show why Boalt is really your school. this is a different conversation.

I think you should definitely take october and apply this coming cycle, unless you are making significant money in your current position and would rather wait and save. With your GPA, all of these options will incur substantial debt.

youngmunny

Postby youngmunny » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:03 am

jbagelboy wrote: Berkeley is difficult to gauge, you would need to have a CA focus and show why Boalt is really your school. this is a different conversation.

Thanks for the insight, it's very helpful! While I'm living in NY at the moment I'm a CA resident and went through K to 12 in public schools within a few miles of the Berkeley campus. Hopefully that might help my candidacy with Berkeley...

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:12 am

I would question whether law school is the right choice for your situation.

With the low GPA you probably won't get HYS.

So that means you are going to be forced to downgrade from your UG to your LS.

Your classmates who went to crappy state schools on full rides are going to be in the same position as you, probably with bigger scholarships because their GPAs aren't so low. You will be the butt of all the jokes.

Are you mentally prepared for 3 years of that?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:59 am

Tom Joad wrote:I would question whether law school is the right choice for your situation.

Your classmates who went to crappy state schools on full rides are going to be in the same position as you, probably with bigger scholarships because their GPAs aren't so low. You will be the butt of all the jokes.

I really hope this isnt a serious comment. "Downgrade"? Embarassment about perceived (but certainly not real) academic decline is a horrible reason not to attend law school. This post is an example of the bizarre and uncomfortable way many on TLS react toward eliteness and educational pedigree. If anything, OP could look to the opportunities her BA provided her (consulting & banking) and determine whether LS would actually open up superior ones, but thats a distinctly different convo from the social and peer judgment crap.

The class at Chicago or CLS has a sizeable contingent of HYPSC/ect top UGs every year. So do Michigan, Penn, ect. And they go to regional schools too. Just got through the Glass Menagie. I doubt these students all feel shame about their result

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:08 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:I would question whether law school is the right choice for your situation.

I really hope this isnt a serious comment. "Downgrade"? Embarassment about perceived (but certainly not real) academic decline is a horrible reason not to attend law school. This post is an example of the bizarre and uncomfortable way many on TLS react toward eliteness and educational pedigree. If anything, OP could look to the opportunities her BA provided her (consulting & banking) and determine whether LS would actually open up superior ones, but thats a distinctly different convo from the social and peer judgment crap.

The class at Chicago or CLS has a sizeable contingent of HYPSC/ect top UGs every year. So do Michigan, Penn, ect. And they go to regional schools too. Just got through the Glass Menagie. I doubt these students all feel shame about their result

At my T10, there are plenty of HYP people, but would you really want to be one of them?

willwilliams1334

Postby willwilliams1334 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:14 pm

just stay at the BB rofl...

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:16 pm

Don't assume you will be in the top 2% of test-takers. Go study for the LSAT and come back when you have a score.

amc987

Postby amc987 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:30 pm

youngmunny wrote:Ideally I'm aiming for Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Columbia, NYU, and Berkeley. It'd be great to get insight on the following things:

1) I think Harvard UG will give you a boost everywhere, but especially when you apply to HLS. Harvard favors its own. If you look on LSN, you'll notice that people at HYS with lower GPAs tend to come from HYPS undergrad. 3.71 isn't that low coming from H- it's not like you have a 3.2 or something that would actually be detrimental. I disagree with the posters who've said you're probably out at HYS. Did you do History and Lit or Social Studies?

2) To be a solid candidate for HYS, I think you probably need at least a 174. Higher is better though. A lot will also depend on how strong your resume is (it sounds good to me, but there are a lot of excellent resumes in the applicant pool) and how well you present yourself in your PS. Just FYI, these people got into HYS with similar numbers: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/zdc; http://lawschoolnumbers.com/pinnipotto; http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mm3456; http://lawschoolnumbers.com/searchparty; http://lawschoolnumbers.com/notyomachoman

Good luck!

rockclimber2013

Postby rockclimber2013 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:37 pm

Similar UG, similar GPA, and somewhat equivalent work experience, and I got HYS this cycle. If you can score 176+, get a couple of very good references from Harvard profs, and write a decent PS, I think you're in at HLS, at least. Just focus everything right now on pwning the LSAT - the difference between a 173 and a 177 will mean a lot at HYS with your GPA.

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:52 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

At my T10, there are plenty of HYP people, but would you really want to be one of them?

Ummm....Yes.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:06 pm

I don't understand what you're talking about. Nobody makes these jokes. All it means is these people went to a good college and a good law school.

Return to “What are my chances?”