Stuff Berkeley likes.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thelawdoctor

Re: Stuff Berkeley likes.

Postby thelawdoctor » Thu May 30, 2013 10:22 pm

I love how they know you are boned out of state but still say on their site "Yes we'll take you...............check with your state on your own........."

:roll:

If I had a relative who was willing to hire me and help me study for that FYBX I'd give it a shot and save the money. Afterall, if you have the job lined up and have a real life mentor, the rest is just filler and debt.

That being said, I bet almost all are people who just somehow think that their desire alone will make up for their inability to finish a BA or get above a 2.0 GPA, take the LSAT,etc.

The FXBX has a huge fail rate, but I bet a bunch are people who didn't prep (since they were too lazy to even take the LSAT to begin with) or who should never have been let in anywhere.

If you honestly had a good GPA and LSAT I bet you could ace the FYBX and the Cali Bar with Barbri help.

Not sure how the jobs would work, but I bet an unknown online schools still is an icebreaker to get the employer talking to you out of curiosity compared to a school with a bad rep that everyone shivers when they hear despite its ABA status (the C-word,,etc)

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 30, 2013 11:11 pm

After YHS, berkeley is your next option?

WHY?

That's a slap on the face to Columbia.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Thu May 30, 2013 11:23 pm

I think that if you are in the 167-172, Berkeley is the kind of school where you should throw a hail mary PS. From what I gather, the way it works is that Dean Tom reads nearly all the PS in that range and sorts them between: Absolutely admitted (Rhodes/Silver Star/Mother Theresa); Definitely rejected (PS comprised mostly of racial slurs and sketches of dicks); and then a whole spectrum of maybes. The goal of the PS is to get yourself in one of the higher "maybe" piles, so that he wants you to get in when he starts doing side by side comparisons with other people in your score range.

If you go to faculty review, then I think they use goat entrails and anicent prophieses to decide

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:12 pm

eh, JFKU is better anyways........

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:50 am

Last edited by twinkletoes16 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:39 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:I was a splitter (for Berkeley, anyway), and submitted end of November. It's my dream school (besides H/S, but for my goals, B makes the most sense) so I'm still at getting in. I have literally zero idea why. My WE is interesting but not prestigious. I wrote a longer PS going into explicit detail about programs I liked at Berkeley, why I wanted to go there, etc., and had a very high LSAT. PM if you want more info.

Like everyone else said, getting it in early (although I didn't sooo who knows) and crafting a targeted, convincing PS seem to help. They also seem to like gobbling up the high LSAT people early on.

Last edited by ManOfTheMinute on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

6lehderjets

Postby 6lehderjets » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:58 am

I'm applying a transfer applicant. I'm sure these tips will be somewhat applicable. Thanks for sharing!

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:13 pm

6lehderjets wrote:I'm applying a transfer applicant. I'm sure these tips will be somewhat applicable. Thanks for sharing!

TLS actually helping someone?????

MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

good luck though, hope you get it, let us know if you do.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:38 pm

Stuff Berkeley likes? It sure as shit wasn't BigZuck, I can tell you that much.

*rejected, twice. Spoiler alert: getting at or above both medians doesn't mean much to them.

andy2012

Postby andy2012 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:47 am

Post removed.
Last edited by andy2012 on Wed May 11, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:28 am

andy2012 wrote:Does Berkeley favor California residents?

Im tempted to say yes, although I cant prove it with data. Its the states' flagship school, and it services primarily CA markets with CA-focused students. I wouldnt call it a quantifiable bump like at UT or even UVA, but its non-negligible

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:27 am

SemperLegal wrote:I think that if you are in the 167-172, Berkeley is the kind of school where you should throw a hail mary PS. From what I gather, the way it works is that Dean Tom reads nearly all the PS in that range and sorts them between: Absolutely admitted (Rhodes/Silver Star/Mother Theresa); Definitely rejected (PS comprised mostly of racial slurs and sketches of dicks); and then a whole spectrum of maybes. The goal of the PS is to get yourself in one of the higher "maybe" piles, so that he wants you to get in when he starts doing side by side comparisons with other people in your score range.

If you go to faculty review, then I think they use goat entrails and anicent prophieses to decide

As possibly one of the lowest non-URM GPAs to get into B this cycle, this, along with everything jbagelboy said about having a smartly tailored application, seems the credited response. They aren't as cookie cutter in admissions as the majority of the rest of the non-HYS T14, but if you get yourself into that maybe pile, getting Dean Tom to find you as an interesting and coherent applicant seems to be the ticket.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:37 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

Im tempted to say yes, although I cant prove it with data. Its the states' flagship school, and it services primarily CA markets with CA-focused students. I wouldnt call it a quantifiable bump like at UT or even UVA, but its non-negligible

This was disputed at one point. Berkeley says:

Do in-state applicants have higher preference than those from out of state?
You have a roughly equal chance of being admitted regardless of your residency. We strive to enroll a class that has a majority of residents, but we offer admission to an equal number of residents and nonresidents.

Which implies 50% CA residents if read in a particular way...which would definitely benefit CA residents.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:52 pm

sinfiery wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

This was disputed at one point. Berkeley says:

Do in-state applicants have higher preference than those from out of state?
You have a roughly equal chance of being admitted regardless of your residency. We strive to enroll a class that has a majority of residents, but we offer admission to an equal number of residents and nonresidents.

Which implies 50% CA residents if read in a particular way...which would definitely benefit CA residents.

exactly. Part of this would be explained by the greater number of CA residents applying (And the outlier population of the state of california more generally). Still, the opaqueness of this statement is telling; "equal chance regardless of residency" reads to me as a way of saying out of state applicants don't need to worry about discrimination, but it doesn't prevent CA residents from getting a closer read and a little more float on numbers

andy2012

Postby andy2012 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:08 am

Post removed.
Last edited by andy2012 on Wed May 11, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:14 am

andy2012 wrote:If a student is half Asian and half white, what should he select as his race to give him a better chance of getting accepted to Boalt Law School?

Both are over represented. It will make absolutely no difference

andy2012

Postby andy2012 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:27 am

Post removed.

Return to “What are my chances?”