Penn ED?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tmanthedman
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Penn ED?

Postby tmanthedman » Sun May 26, 2013 9:14 pm

Applying this coming cycle with 170/3.41

Penn is definitely my first choice, so I'm planning to ED there. Decent chance?

What about the rest of the t-14 if I don't get into Penn and apply RD to the rest? Also looking at UCLA, and USC and GW as fallbacks if I don't get t-14.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Penn ED?

Postby Br3v » Sun May 26, 2013 9:21 pm


njpride
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Re: Penn ED?

Postby njpride » Sun May 26, 2013 9:56 pm

I would not even ED if I were you chance at money if you can negotiate it from someone down the chain. http://myLSN.info/h71l27_1-14.jpg

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: Penn ED?

Postby elterrible78 » Sun May 26, 2013 11:05 pm

There really hasn't been a statistically significant impact on applicants for EDing for the past three cycles, either in terms of acceptance or scholarships, so I'd say it's six of one, half dozen of the other, really. Personally I wouldn't ED just because I'd rather keep my options open.

totoro
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:55 pm

Re: Penn ED?

Postby totoro » Sun May 26, 2013 11:09 pm

I dunno, if you really want to get in you may want to ED (your numbers seem like you'd have a good possibility as an ED-candidate).

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Penn ED?

Postby twenty » Sun May 26, 2013 11:42 pm

I would absolutely ED. You're not getting any money from anywhere regardless, short of retaking.

http://myLSN.info/bj44v5_1-14.jpg

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Penn ED?

Postby Br3v » Mon May 27, 2013 8:34 am

Have you taken the LSAT yet though OP?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Penn ED?

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 28, 2013 2:52 am

You will get some T14 with a 170. It will just be expensive.

Whats your financial situation? If your parents will pay part or all of your tuition, then ED Penn and get it over with. otherwise, I would caution this strategy, since Penn at sticker is debateably inadvisable (HYSCCNP are justifiable at sticker IMO but only under certain conditions, and this view is not widely shared).

senorhosh
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:45 am

Re: Penn ED?

Postby senorhosh » Tue May 28, 2013 3:19 am

Don't count out money from other schools.

Schools are giving out more money to applicants who would normally get zero these past 2 cycles.
It's not unheard of for splitters/reverse splitters to get money nowadays. (Check the past and present applicant threads).

It's no guarantee though. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the risk.

tmanthedman
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: Penn ED?

Postby tmanthedman » Tue May 28, 2013 12:25 pm

jbagelboy wrote:You will get some T14 with a 170. It will just be expensive.

Whats your financial situation? If your parents will pay part or all of your tuition, then ED Penn and get it over with. otherwise, I would caution this strategy, since Penn at sticker is debateably inadvisable (HYSCCNP are justifiable at sticker IMO but only under certain conditions, and this view is not widely shared).


Yes I'll be getting significant help from my parents with tuition, rent, etc., so that is why I am almost positive I want to ED at Penn. I also visited campus and really just want to go to Penn more than any of the other schools I have a realistic chance at admission. I liked the people I met, including professors and really enjoyed the class I sat in on.

tmanthedman
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: Penn ED?

Postby tmanthedman » Tue May 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Br3v wrote:Have you taken the LSAT yet though OP?


I mentioned I'll be applying with a 170. So yes, I have taken the lsat. My score was 170.

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Penn ED?

Postby francesfarmer » Tue May 28, 2013 1:15 pm

tmanthedman wrote:
Br3v wrote:Have you taken the LSAT yet though OP?


I mentioned I'll be applying with a 170. So yes, I have taken the lsat. My score was 170.

If money's not really an issue then I don't see how applying ED would hurt you. Do it

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Penn ED?

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 28, 2013 3:39 pm

tmanthedman wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:You will get some T14 with a 170. It will just be expensive.

Whats your financial situation? If your parents will pay part or all of your tuition, then ED Penn and get it over with. otherwise, I would caution this strategy, since Penn at sticker is debateably inadvisable (HYSCCNP are justifiable at sticker IMO but only under certain conditions, and this view is not widely shared).


Yes I'll be getting significant help from my parents with tuition, rent, etc., so that is why I am almost positive I want to ED at Penn. I also visited campus and really just want to go to Penn more than any of the other schools I have a realistic chance at admission. I liked the people I met, including professors and really enjoyed the class I sat in on.


Yea. I mean, if you're fortunate enough to have your parents supporting you, then ED Penn and enjoy law school. Most of the advice on TLS will be geared towards students from less well off backgrounds who can't depend on family assets. In this case, I would say definitely apply early decision, write all additional essays, and visit the school in the fall to talk to admissions officers, ect.

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Penn ED?

Postby justicefishy » Fri May 31, 2013 6:30 pm

tmanthedman wrote:Applying this coming cycle with 170/3.41

Penn is definitely my first choice, so I'm planning to ED there. Decent chance?

What about the rest of the t-14 if I don't get into Penn and apply RD to the rest? Also looking at UCLA, and USC and GW as fallbacks if I don't get t-14.


Hey! Near numbers twin! I'm a 3.4/170 who got into Penn RD (2012). That said, I was exceptionally lucky and if it's your top choice, ED. I think you've got a decent shot.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Penn ED?

Postby Br3v » Fri May 31, 2013 6:33 pm

tmanthedman wrote:
Br3v wrote:Have you taken the LSAT yet though OP?


I mentioned I'll be applying with a 170. So yes, I have taken the lsat. My score was 170.


The reason I asked is because you pose this question at what appears to be an awkward time (this years cycle is winding down, and there haven't been any recent administrations of the LSAT).

tmanthedman
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: Penn ED?

Postby tmanthedman » Fri May 31, 2013 8:43 pm

Br3v wrote:
tmanthedman wrote:
Br3v wrote:Have you taken the LSAT yet though OP?


I mentioned I'll be applying with a 170. So yes, I have taken the lsat. My score was 170.


The reason I asked is because you pose this question at what appears to be an awkward time (this years cycle is winding down, and there haven't been any recent administrations of the LSAT).


Sorry, I just knew I'd have more time to prepare this past fall semester, which is why I took the last so early. And now I'm just counting the days for apps to open becaus I've been working on my PS and other essays for over a month. But yeah I'm just a junior now, applying this fall.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Penn ED?

Postby Br3v » Fri May 31, 2013 9:43 pm

tmanthedman wrote:
Br3v wrote:
tmanthedman wrote:
Br3v wrote:Have you taken the LSAT yet though OP?


I mentioned I'll be applying with a 170. So yes, I have taken the lsat. My score was 170.


The reason I asked is because you pose this question at what appears to be an awkward time (this years cycle is winding down, and there haven't been any recent administrations of the LSAT).


Sorry, I just knew I'd have more time to prepare this past fall semester, which is why I took the last so early. And now I'm just counting the days for apps to open becaus I've been working on my PS and other essays for over a month. But yeah I'm just a junior now, applying this fall.


You are going into your senior year starting this fall right?

tmanthedman
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: Penn ED?

Postby tmanthedman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:33 am

.
Last edited by tmanthedman on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

tmanthedman
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: Penn ED?

Postby tmanthedman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:33 am

.
Last edited by tmanthedman on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

tmanthedman
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: Penn ED?

Postby tmanthedman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:34 am

Yes I'm starting my senior year in the fall

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Penn ED?

Postby Br3v » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:27 pm

Well you are in great shape, way to plan ahead. Good luck.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Penn ED?

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:40 pm

What are you doing this summer? Wouldn't be a bad idea to enroll in 12 hours of easy courses at a nearby CC if you have the time to make As.

Not usually a huge fan of ED, but I don't think it's a bad idea with your numbers (and the parental support). As a non-URM and a K-JD, you're very unlikely to receive significant money at any T14 school with your current stats. (Very few people with numbers like yours received money at all at T14 schools this past cycle, and almost all who did were applicants with advanced degrees and WE.) Penn is a very strong performer, too, with BigLaw + FedClerk numbers of 67% and 77% for the classes of 2011 and 2012, respectively.

The data is fairly limited, but it still shows that your odds of getting into Penn would be much better with ED than RD. Compare the results below (GPA range of 3.36-3.46 and LSAT of 170):

RD:
Image

ED:
Image

tmanthedman
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: Penn ED?

Postby tmanthedman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:04 am

[quote="Ti Malice"]What are you doing this summer? Wouldn't be a bad idea to enroll in 12 hours of easy courses at a nearby CC if you have the time to make As.

Not usually a huge fan of ED, but I don't think it's a bad idea with your numbers (and the parental support). As a non-URM and a K-JD, you're very unlikely to receive significant money at any T14 school with your current stats. (Very few people with numbers like yours received money at all at T14 schools this past cycle, and almost all who did were applicants with advanced degrees and WE.) Penn is a very strong performer, too, with BigLaw + FedClerk numbers of 67% and 77% for the classes of 2011 and 2012, respectively.

The data is fairly limited, but it still shows that your odds of getting into Penn would be much better with ED than RD. Compare the results below (GPA range of 3.36-3.46 and LSAT of 170):
quote]

I'm taking a total of 10 credit hours this summer through my undergrad school. A's shouldn't be too tough, so I'm hoping my gpa could go to about 3.46-3.48 (it's 3.43 currently since I just finished my first summer class).




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests