Number of absences precluding acceptance?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
galleon

Number of absences precluding acceptance?

Postby galleon » Sun May 26, 2013 4:53 pm

Hello,

I looked for a pre-existing thread but nothing quite compares to my case, and I mean that in the most unflattering way possible. Essentially the main question for me comes down to something along the lines of "should I even bother retaking, or am I just screwed with no hope?" Are all of the T14s going to throw out my app even if I get to their LSAT medians (GPA is 3.7)? Or does the recent drop in applications, and especially of higher test takers, give me a chance? The problem is outlined below.

I have three absences over the last four years, and a 15x score (for which I did no timed practice tests, review etc). Recently I have been studying for the exam properly, and the results and progression are promising. So while I understand many schools take the highest score, I don't want to seem like such a red flag that I will be auto disqualified. In other words, if this is likely it would be unfortunate to waste time studying and money applying.

So I understand that this will make me look bad, and I am also aware that non-exceptional ECs won't save me, even slightly, but would my Master's degree, few years of work experience (teaching, research, marketing), a couple of academic publications (in major outlets) help in a PS to slightly circumvent my looking like a lazy or unprepared candidate?

Please move topic if in wrong section. Thanks.

Ti Malice

Re: Number of absences precluding acceptance?

Postby Ti Malice » Sun May 26, 2013 8:37 pm

Some schools (YHS and maybe a couple of others) would likely care about a score report that looks like that, regardless of your later score. They can afford to be picky. But a graduate degree, significant work experience, and publications should mitigate the impact.

But it probably wouldn't make much of a difference at most schools. Schools are really struggling to maintain their medians with the precipitous decline in apps over the last few years. A single high score will weigh much more heavily than the rest of your LSAC report.

Return to “What are my chances?”