edit

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
CyanIdes Of March

edit

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed May 22, 2013 11:15 am

edit
Last edited by CyanIdes Of March on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Re: What would you do if you were me? 173/3.8 maximize potential

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 22, 2013 12:32 pm

I don't think 173/3.8 is out at H. It should at least get you a JS1, which you can then kill or royally fuck up.

S will look for something notable in your candidacy. People do get in to S with your numbers, but lots of people get rejected or WL'ed with them too. I was WL'd with both lower GPA and LSAT than you. I don't think they are prohibitive at all, its just that Dean Deal is a tough read and you can't pinpoint what they are looking for to fill the class.

Only retake if your PTs are legitimately 178-180 consistently. Otherwise your score is roughly reflective of your potential. WE just for the sake of working won't have significance on its own, but if you can wrap it in to your major/curricular and extracurricular activities/interest in law/ect. so your PS and resume tell a compelling narrative, then that couldn't hurt. Can you get a prestigious job (V20 consulting/finance?) or a fulbright or something of that nature? if so then sure it could substantiate your application. If you are IP focused, then generate VC interest and write a patent or get published in a journal. What was your UG major?

I think a Stanford-specific LORs might also help. I didn't send in anything like that with my initial application, but I've heard people who's LoR profs were Stanford grads (or better yet Stanford profs) might get some brownie points, I obviously don't have real data on this though. Since you went to a big state school, I'm not sure how close you could get to specific professors.

Given your goals, you are on target by focusing on HYS. However, you could also get $$ at UChicago, and I don't think that would be a bad choice either. I would just apply there too in case.

Good luck!

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed May 22, 2013 2:38 pm

edit
Last edited by CyanIdes Of March on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Wed May 22, 2013 2:42 pm

I'd consider retaking the LSAT. If you can get your PTs up you could legitimately improve. That's something you could do while you work on your PS and volunteer saving pandas or whatever. If you want to maximize your potential, you should probably be thinking in terms of AND rather than OR.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Wed May 22, 2013 5:10 pm

Jbagelboy is spot on for this one, but to reiterate the main points to give them some extra sense of legitimacy:
You have a non-zero shot at hys now.
A t6 with $$$ can be just as good as hys anyway.
You can apply this fall cycle and study for a retake at the same time. If you are pting basically a 178+ almost every time, and don't get into hys, you can sit out and retake anyway.

Not sure there is much in the way of softs you can do, but more is always better than less.

Eta: oh, and if you do plan on retaking, try getting a tutoring or teaching gig with a company. Easily the best way to learn the LSAT is to teach it daily for dat $$ and 173 is definitely a good enough score for the top companies or private tutoring.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 22, 2013 5:24 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Eta: oh, and if you do plan on retaking, try getting a tutoring or teaching gig with a company. Easily the best way to learn the LSAT is to teach it daily for dat $$ and 173 is definitely a good enough score for the top companies or private tutoring.

This is a neat idea, and the process is credited. I should have done it, powerscore sent feelers about teaching after I took their class and hit 99th percentile but I work FT so I kind of ignored it. The $$ is good tho if you aren't doing much else.

I taught SAT prep for several years in college, and after teaching a full class I could score 2400 (maybe 2370 on a bad day) regularly, even tho I only scored like 2300 or smthing on the actual test in high school. My LSAT instructor indicated it was similar, and he could hit 178 or 179 after teaching the class a few times.

Still, I would only retake as OP if I could PT regularly near 180.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Wed May 22, 2013 5:32 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Eta: oh, and if you do plan on retaking, try getting a tutoring or teaching gig with a company. Easily the best way to learn the LSAT is to teach it daily for dat $$ and 173 is definitely a good enough score for the top companies or private tutoring.

This is a neat idea, and the process is credited. I should have done it, powerscore sent feelers about teaching after I took their class and hit 99th percentile but I work FT so I kind of ignored it. The $$ is good tho if you aren't doing much else.

I taught SAT prep for several years in college, and after teaching a full class I could score 2400 (maybe 2370 on a bad day) regularly, even tho I only scored like 2300 or smthing on the actual test in high school. My LSAT instructor indicated it was similar, and he could hit 178 or 179 after teaching the class a few times.

Still, I would only retake as OP if I could PT regularly near 180.

It's definitely credited. I also taught SATs and can't imagine missing any English question for the rest of my life. Over the year I have taught the LSAT I have missed 4 questions (having been exposed to probably 700-1000 questions I had yet to see, including the two tests released after I took it).
And yes, decent money when it's in season, lack of work when it's not (or if one lives in a small city).

westbayguy

Postby westbayguy » Wed May 22, 2013 5:32 pm

You're very competitive for NYU and Columbia, might even get $$ from Columbia.
Borderline for HLS, and you'd need something special for Y or S.

If you plan on doing BigLaw before BigFed, CLS or NYU would be just as good.

Straight out to BigFed, yes HYS would better position you, but those straight to BigFed gigs are few and far between these days. What you really would need then is an Article III gig, and only HYS (and maybe Chicago) will give you a real advantage for those. There is no clear answer here.

Improving a 173 is not out of the quesiton, but I agree with the poster who said you better be practicing in the high 170s to risk a retake.

Return to “What are my chances?”