3.26/176 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Re: 3.26/176

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:23 pm

sinfiery wrote:Well, the safety net would be the reason. This 3.1/174 has Gtown at 200k as his best choice this cycle and that's all.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=209739

Though I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, I don't think it is that bad of an idea if you are wanting to work into a market UVA places.
It's not a safety net if you're setting a ceiling for yourself. The safety net is waiting a year and THEN ED-ing UVA. Just because one guy with a 3.1/174 had a bad cycle doesn't mean you should limit your own opportunities. I outperformed a lot of people with better stats than me because of the small things -- doing all the addenda and REALLY polishing them, doing optional interviews, applying as early as possible, writing a decent PS. I also know other people with similar stats who did the same thing and had similar levels of success.

I think my point is this: yes, it's scary to be a splitter. Everyone's cycle is slightly different, it's hard to predict. But the lack of predictabiilty is exactly WHY this person should not ED to UVA. They might be robbing themselves of an amazing cycle and great opportunities. Why settle and limit yourself? Work your fucking ass off and do the best you can to give yourself the best opportunity possible.

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:47 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:I think my point is this: yes, it's scary to be a splitter. Everyone's cycle is slightly different, it's hard to predict. But the lack of predictabiilty is exactly WHY this person should not ED to UVA. They might be robbing themselves of an amazing cycle and great opportunities. Why settle and limit yourself? Work your fucking ass off and do the best you can to give yourself the best opportunity possible.
Amen. You can look through the varied results of splitter c/o 2015, but I think in general people didn't ED performed better than those who did. Many of us ended up with money when TLS CW said that would be impossible. OP definitely has a chance at some cash, so why should they throw that chance away?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:35 pm

I was/am unsure that splitters could even get money anywhere but NU with 30-50k. If it is possible to get more/at more schools, I see now why EDing would generally be a bad idea.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:46 pm

sinfiery wrote:I was/am unsure that splitters could even get money anywhere but NU with 30-50k. If it is possible to get more/at more schools, I see now why EDing would generally be a bad idea.
Even assuming what you say is true, what makes you think OP would rather go to UVa for sticker than NU with a small scholly? I had that choice and I chose NU. Replying to a thread with a blanket statement like "ED UVA" is silly because, like I said, splitters have very unique cycles. If someone has a 178/3.9, yeah, that's easy - apply to T14, wait for the $$ to roll in. But someone with a 178/3.0? Who knows. Depends on where you want to end up, what you want to do, how debt-averse you are, etc etc etc.

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:27 am

sinfiery wrote:I was/am unsure that splitters could even get money anywhere but NU with 30-50k. If it is possible to get more/at more schools, I see now why EDing would generally be a bad idea.
I was a huge splitter (GPA was higher than OP's, but definitely below CLS' 25th percentile) and I received more than that from CLS. TLS CW on money is flatly wrong in many areas. I've said it could be need before, but that would mean that non-merit aid is a real thing outside of HYS. It could be numbers based (there seems to be other/comparable cases) or it could be based on softs. My wager is that schools might actually be honest when they claim to take all of those things into consideration.

Anyway, look through splitter cycles from last year. Talk to more splitters. Splitters can and do get money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:19 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Even assuming what you say is true, what makes you think OP would rather go to UVa for sticker than NU with a small scholly? I had that choice and I chose NU. Replying to a thread with a blanket statement like "ED UVA" is silly because, like I said, splitters have very unique cycles. If someone has a 178/3.9, yeah, that's easy - apply to T14, wait for the $$ to roll in. But someone with a 178/3.0? Who knows. Depends on where you want to end up, what you want to do, how debt-averse you are, etc etc etc.
Agreed, the general ED UVA without second thought argument is silly. If the said person wanted the markets of UVA/NU equally, I would think about ED UVA for the safety net plus approx same COA considering UVAs COL/instate tuition. If this were true that is.

I was just surprised by the complete rejection of the idea because splitters still do get rejected in this cycle. I believe numbers and softs matter for aid myself, but you need the numbers. Softs enhance but there needs to.be something they can enhance numerically.
hibiki wrote: I was a huge splitter (GPA was higher than OP's, but definitely below CLS' 25th percentile) and I received more than that from CLS. TLS CW on money is flatly wrong in many areas. I've said it could be need before, but that would mean that non-merit aid is a real thing outside of HYS. It could be numbers based (there seems to be other/comparable cases) or it could be based on softs. My wager is that schools might actually be honest when they claim to take all of those things into consideration.

Anyway, look through splitter cycles from last year. Talk to more splitters. Splitters can and do get money.
Yeah, I've seen 3.4-5s get huge money. But once you hit the sub or near 3.0, I have yet to really come across any substantial $$. This is the only person I would possibly advise to ED UVA, and even that would depend on certain other variables.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:36 pm

hibiki wrote:
I was a huge splitter (GPA was higher than OP's, but definitely below CLS' 25th percentile) and I received more than that from CLS. TLS CW on money is flatly wrong in many areas. I've said it could be need before, but that would mean that non-merit aid is a real thing outside of HYS. It could be numbers based (there seems to be other/comparable cases) or it could be based on softs. My wager is that schools might actually be honest when they claim to take all of those things into consideration.

Splitters get money offered because they by definiton have high LSAT scores. Softs/WE have nothing to do with how much aid a school will disperse -- I have never seen a case, and it would be irrational to do so --even if it was consequential enough to admit you.

And yes, need based certainly exists outside of HyS, its just far less generous.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”