3.26/176

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kshah

3.26/176

Postby kshah » Tue May 14, 2013 3:45 pm

My GPA is killing me :( , and I'm really wondering whether it'll prevent me from a t-14 or even a t-20 school. I went to a pretty good undergrad but no HYS and I guess I have somewhat of an explanation for my low gpa that I'm considering adding an addendum for. My dad was diagnosed with leukemia early in my soph year and its pretty obvious on my transcript that something happened... I don't really know if explanations make a difference even, I'm sure most people have them as well. In any case, I'd really appreciate feedback/thoughts. Thanks :)

ManOfTheMinute

Re: 3.26/176

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue May 14, 2013 3:50 pm

The leukemia shouldn't have affected more than one semester of grades... so I wouldn't say you're gonna do much better than this, which should get you into at least a few of the T14:

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue May 14, 2013 4:10 pm

agree that the addendum will not make a difference. disagree about a parent having lukemia only affecting one semester's worth of work. but same result.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 14, 2013 5:07 pm

A close friends' father had a severe nerve condition and died halfway through his freshmen year of college. He had to take a quarter off and it took a while for grades to recover. So I understand the grade pain, but as MOTM said, unfortunately a 3.26 implicates at least several semesters worth of bad grades.

Write the addendum, but don't expect it to be a cure-all by any means.

You're a super splitter, so your cycle will be very unpredictable, and the data we have available is largely horrible (which is why its so critical for splitters to record all their results!) I am very confident you will get accepted at several T14's like UVA, NU, and Gtown, but you might be faced with them at sticker, which, while initially seems insignificant, becomes a huge deal as the cycle goes on. Make sure you apply to regional schools in an area you might want to practice (UT, UMN, USC, UGA) and go for near full tuition schollies by drawing them in with that LSAT.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Tue May 14, 2013 5:19 pm

jbagelboy wrote:A close friends' father had a severe nerve condition and died halfway through his freshmen year of college. He had to take a quarter off and it took a while for grades to recover. So I understand the grade pain, but as MOTM said, unfortunately a 3.26 implicates at least several semesters worth of bad grades.

Write the addendum, but don't expect it to be a cure-all by any means.

You're a super splitter, so your cycle will be very unpredictable, and the data we have available is largely horrible (which is why its so critical for splitters to record all their results!) I am very confident you will get accepted at several T14's like UVA, NU, and Gtown, but you might be faced with them at sticker, which, while initially seems insignificant, becomes a huge deal as the cycle goes on. Make sure you apply to regional schools in an area you might want to practice (UT, UMN, USC, UGA) and go for near full tuition schollies by drawing them in with that LSAT.

this is all pretty true. Apply early. I'll add that you a real good shot snagging NU if you have work experience. Also apply as early as possible. It's the best thing you can do for yourself with a big split like that.

the most recent cycle was different from any previous. at least one or two people with your numbers snuck into penn in the first round of ED. Depending on what your goals are I'd think about how/if you want to go about using an ED. Oh and did i say something about applying early?

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue May 14, 2013 8:30 pm

kshah wrote:My GPA is killing me :( , and I'm really wondering whether it'll prevent me from a t-14 or even a t-20 school. I went to a pretty good undergrad but no HYS and I guess I have somewhat of an explanation for my low gpa that I'm considering adding an addendum for. My dad was diagnosed with leukemia early in my soph year and its pretty obvious on my transcript that something happened... I don't really know if explanations make a difference even, I'm sure most people have them as well. In any case, I'd really appreciate feedback/thoughts. Thanks :)

That 176 of yours will likely get you more than a couple T14 bites. Don't lose the faith.

kshah

Postby kshah » Tue May 14, 2013 8:46 pm

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I'll def keep the tip to apply early in mind

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed May 15, 2013 3:11 am

excellent LSAT score.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed May 15, 2013 3:15 am

Dr. Dre wrote:excellent LSAT score.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:excellent LSAT score.

Follow my cycle in sept , very similar applicant! I'd like to see how it works out for you.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed May 15, 2013 4:45 am

Definitely write a well-thought-out addendum. I have a 2.8/176 and I'm at NU with a small amount of scholarship money, so it's definitely doable. A few thoughts:

- Make sure your addenda are well-written and edited
- Do the on-campus interview. Kill it (it's not hard, just be personable/friendly and have a good answer to explain your grades. Make sure you take ownership of them--no excuses--and provide an explanation of how they won't be repeated.)
- Apply as early as possible
- DO NOT procrastinate on the scholarship essays, and spend a good amount of time writing them. Take them seriously.

Do you have work experience? That will help a lot for NU, but it doesn't seem to be as much of a requirement as it used to be. I had about 1.5 years of WE when I started at NU.

Ramsey

Postby Ramsey » Wed May 15, 2013 9:32 am

Dear OP,

I have sub-3.4/170 (similar story and bad judgment) w/ gaps in resume. I applied mostly in December and decided to add CCN to my list in mid-January just so that I don't regret. I'm in at Mich ($$), NU($$), Gtown(0!), UT($$$), Vandy($$$), and WUSTL($$$$) and got waitlisted at Columbia, Chicago (interview invite), Penn, UVA, Duke (PR), etc.

I am no expert, but I think with your numbers you will make the first cut (if there is such thing) in every T14 minus YHS, and then it all comes down to your application - essays, recs, resume, and how well they are put together to create a coherent and compelling picture of who you are. You will not get much money initially, but if you leverage and negotiate well you will be able to squeeze out some more money.

Really work on essays and addenda. If you don't already have, work for a few years. 176 is above 75% at every T14 (sans Y, but you shouldn't waste an app there anyway), so you should be very proud of yourself.

Good luck!

biznardos

Postby biznardos » Wed May 15, 2013 11:13 am

ED UVA

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:03 am

biznardos wrote:ED UVA

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:10 am

Do NOT ED UVA.

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:39 am

ED UVA

Can someone remind me why people still find this funny?

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:38 am

Lots of bad advice ITT. Your GPA is on the edge/below the traditional floor for CCN, but you should be a solid candidate for T14 schools. You are also competitive for some money at those schools. This is especially true if you get into one of the schools that tries to keep its 75th percentile LSAT high. I don't know where the actual floor is at CCN, but you're not as far off as you'd think.

More importantly, you are not guaranteed to draw big money outside of the T14. Your 176 LSAT means more to a higher ranked school than it does to a lower ranked one. UT/UMN/USC wouldn't have an incentive to give you a big scholarship. Someone with a 170 LSAT helps their numbers just as much as yours would.

So, this means you should apply broadly and be patient. I'll echo what crumps said: make sure you have the rest of your stuff together so that your GPA is your only problem. Apply early and take NU (and UVA) seriously. They like splitters. Also be prepared to sit on waitlists—they might be annoying, but that might be how you get your best offer.

Finally, DO NOT ED. EDing just gets you into a school at sticker. If you're willing to be patient you'll almost assuredly get into a similar school and have a good shot at a scholarship of some kind. EDing is pretty foolish, especially for folks who have something to offer. Don't do it just because it is safe/easy.

Archangel

Postby Archangel » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:03 am

kshah wrote:My GPA is killing me :( , and I'm really wondering whether it'll prevent me from a t-14 or even a t-20 school. I went to a pretty good undergrad but no HYS and I guess I have somewhat of an explanation for my low gpa that I'm considering adding an addendum for. My dad was diagnosed with leukemia early in my soph year and its pretty obvious on my transcript that something happened... I don't really know if explanations make a difference even, I'm sure most people have them as well. In any case, I'd really appreciate feedback/thoughts. Thanks :)

No, it will not prevent you from T14 admission. I am assuming you have probably already found this resource by now, but just in case the following link (as well as the search function) may provide you with some hope and direction. I would look into at EDing to NYU, then Penn, while RDing to Northwestern.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/

Profile http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Griffneedslaw ED with 55k

Btw, props on the lsat score.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:20 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Do NOT ED UVA.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:44 am

PRgradBYU wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:Do NOT ED UVA.

Definitely this, it's basically outdated.

And this:

hibiki wrote:Lots of bad advice ITT. Your GPA is on the edge/below the traditional floor for CCN, but you should be a solid candidate for T14 schools. You are also competitive for some money at those schools. This is especially true if you get into one of the schools that tries to keep its 75th percentile LSAT high. I don't know where the actual floor is at CCN, but you're not as far off as you'd think.

More importantly, you are not guaranteed to draw big money outside of the T14. Your 176 LSAT means more to a higher ranked school than it does to a lower ranked one. UT/UMN/USC wouldn't have an incentive to give you a big scholarship. Someone with a 170 LSAT helps their numbers just as much as yours would.

So, this means you should apply broadly and be patient. I'll echo what crumps said: make sure you have the rest of your stuff together so that your GPA is your only problem. Apply early and take NU (and UVA) seriously. They like splitters. Also be prepared to sit on waitlists—they might be annoying, but that might be how you get your best offer.

Finally, DO NOT ED. EDing just gets you into a school at sticker. If you're willing to be patient you'll almost assuredly get into a similar school and have a good shot at a scholarship of some kind. EDing is pretty foolish, especially for folks who have something to offer. Don't do it just because it is safe/easy.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:48 pm

Oh, just for context -- again my stats are 2.8/176. I attend NU now but I was also accepted at GULC and UVa. Since your GPA is almost half a point higher than mine, I guarantee that you'll have a great shot at these 3 schools with a scholarship.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:25 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Oh, just for context -- again my stats are 2.8/176. I attend NU now but I was also accepted at GULC and UVa. Since your GPA is almost half a point higher than mine, I guarantee that you'll have a great shot at these 3 schools with a scholarship.

IF, you put together a strong application.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:09 pm

Sorry, I'm not very informed but do splitters to this level ever get money from a non NU/Gtown t14?

Even at NU, getting 30k makes it equal on COA with UVA after COL/instate tuition is accounted for.

If they rarely get money, (again, not positive about this) would ED UVA not be a decent strategy?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:24 pm

sinfiery wrote:Sorry, I'm not very informed but do splitters to this level ever get money from a non NU/Gtown t14?

Even at NU, getting 30k makes it equal on COA with UVA after COL/instate tuition is accounted for.

If they rarely get money, (again, not positive about this) would ED UVA not be a decent strategy?

....why would you not just apply to UVa RD and fight for money with a scholarship from NU/GULC? Also...why wouldn't you give yourself the opportunity to get as many surprise offers as possible?

I considered ED-ing to UVa in my cycle. If I had, I would 100% not have gotten a scholarship, and I would be attending a T14 that isn't located in/near a market I want, paying sticker. I just...I just don't understand why it would seem to be a good idea to shackle yourself down to a school when you a) have a shot at getting into other, equally good schools, b) have a shot at getting into those schools (as well as UVa) and getting a scholarship, and c) have a shot at getting into a slightly lower ranked but still T20 school in your market of choice (ie UT or UCLA/USC or Vandy) with a huge scholly.

It made sense back in the day because there were SO MANY applicants that splitters literally had no chance. But now with the drop in apps it's going to be better for splitters because there are FAR more people with 3.5+ GPAs than there are people with 175+ scores.

Srsly tho ED-ing to UVA would be a waste of a good app.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:03 pm

Well, the safety net would be the reason. This 3.1/174 has Gtown at 200k as his best choice this cycle and that's all.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=209739

Though I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, I don't think it is that bad of an idea if you are wanting to work into a market UVA places.

Return to “What are my chances?”