Need help TLSers! Want to retake but not sure.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ponyboy7

Need help TLSers! Want to retake but not sure.

Postby ponyboy7 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:16 pm

I applied for this cycle of law school and I’m having trouble deciding where to go and whether I should retake and reapply next year.

My GPA is 2.9 (3.1) I got a 160 on my lsat. A little known private ug in Texas. I am Latino. I have a variety of pretty good softs including steering committee of a major US labor rights nonprofit, internship with a state senator, internship with a Latino political nonprofit org in DC, a internship in Bolivia with a international relations think tank, a year’s work as a paralegal, a continuing education certificate from the Washington Center, and president of my schools mock OAS.

I applied to law schools in my range from top 30 to 60 knowing I was not having much luck with my numbers. I was accepted in AU WCL, Loyola LA, Cardozo, Tulane and a few others. Most with modest scholarships. For the longest time I have been between American University and Loyola and I’ve even payed down payment for both. I have been aware of the state of law schools and the law market and the risk of debt in going to either of these schools. Being a frequent TLS reader I have read all the bad reviews and criticisms of these lower ranked institutions. For some reason, just like many other TLSers, I ignored all the information plain in front of me, feeling that I have to go to school now, and that things for me would be different for me(My dad owns his own law business that I could fall back on, and being relatively privileged my parents will help me pay my loans). I have been committed to going to law school now until a few days ago when I saw the new 2014 rankings. For some reason seeing the schools I plan to go to precipitously drop in ranking snapped me out of my delusions :shock: . Now I am pretty sure that I want to retake and reapply but I want to know what my fellow TLSers think.

I am pretty certain with more study time I can greatly improve my score, but will that really help me get into a better school with my abysmal GPA? If I got a 170 or 175 what school would I be looking at? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

ManoftheHour

Re: Need help TLSers! Want to retake but not sure.

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu May 09, 2013 1:18 pm

Always retake. Even if you're sure. Unless you have a 180, retake until you can't retake no more. Also, the rankings outside the T14 are horse shit. Loyola at 29, 49, 69, or even 100 doesn't matter at all. What matters is it's 44% employment rate and 40% underemployment rate.

Since you're an URM, retaking is even more important. A high 160 score could open up the lower T14 with $$. Higher than that and you'll be looking at even better schools.

And avoid American like the plague.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:48 pm

RETAKE!

We URMs get more slack, but you need to be in the ballpark of a school's median, or 25th. Your GPA is a done deal, so just forget about it and focus on the LSAT. If you get 165+ you're in at the low T14. 168+ and you're probably looking at $$ T10 and down.

For reference, I'm a 3.2/167 AA and got $93k from Georgetown.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 09, 2013 4:21 pm

OP are you mexican?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 09, 2013 4:25 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:OP are you mexican?

good question -- he may not qualify as URM.

ponyboy7

Postby ponyboy7 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:38 pm

Yes I am. Is that not URM anymore?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Yes being Mexican-American is great—a huge bump. (Although not as big as being African-American).

I only asked because you identified as Latino—which is highly ambiguous.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 14, 2013 9:58 am

Absolutely retake. Go to the LSAT Forum here on TLS and take a look at the strategies and guides people use there. Develop one for yourself, kill the LSAT, and enjoy a scholarship at a T14.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue May 14, 2013 10:05 am

romothesavior wrote:Absolutely retake. Go to the LSAT Forum here on TLS and take a look at the strategies and guides people use there. Develop one for yourself, kill the LSAT, and enjoy a scholarship at a T14.

This. And basically what everyone said.

You should realize how not even a question this is. It isn't like 90% retake, 10% don't. The answer is 100% retake, 0% attend. There should be zero hesitation and anyone who says otherwise (which may occur from your friends and family) are just ignorant of the situation. Please retake.

North

Postby North » Tue May 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Do not waste the huge, life-changing opportunity available to you by going to one of the schools you got into this cycle. Retake the LSAT as many time as you have to until you break 170. Need a role model? PM Worm and ask him how he did it. Dude's going to Harvard now. TITCR:

Wormfather wrote:Hit 170 and enjoy T6. You owe it to yourself and the kids you might have one day.

Return to “What are my chances?”