Do I have a shot

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Judge997

Do I have a shot

Postby Judge997 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:34 pm

Greetings,

I have a 165 lsat and a 3.-3.1 from the University of Michigan
With 3 internships (Marketing/legal/legal real estate)
150 hours of community service
Have founded a non-profit
And work 29 hours a week

I'd like to know if I have a chance at getting into one of the top 25.
Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

jbagelboy

Re: Do I have a shot

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 07, 2013 8:14 pm

1) are you just graduating now? If your a junior dont even consider applying this fall, raise your gpa as high as you can senior year. If senior see 3).
2) URM?
3) retake for 168+ minimum ( aim for 170) and come back then. You will be locked out of T25 if you cant break over median in at least one metric. Dont apply with your current LSAT.
4) working during school may help a little to compensate for your gpa but not significantly. Write an addendum. Your other softs are pretty average (no offense its just reality of competitive applications) unless your non profit is well known. No one cares about community service unfortunately.

If you break 170 consider ED UVA. Otherwise if you retake under 170 hit minnesota and gwu and max out scholarship $.

Good luck!

atwardow

Postby atwardow » Tue May 07, 2013 10:45 pm

I agree with the previous post. A 165 isn't a barrier to a Top 25 school; my LSAT was 162 but GPA during the application cycle was 3.86, which somehow got me into Minnesota, George Washington, Notre Dame, and UCLA (not a URM, applied as senior very early in the cycle). Your GPA will be a problem, unless you had an "exceptionally tough" major such as engineering or something of that nature. BTW, what was your undergraduate major?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 07, 2013 11:15 pm

atwardow wrote:I agree with the previous post. A 165 isn't a barrier to a Top 25 school; my LSAT was 162 but GPA during the application cycle was 3.86, which somehow got me into Minnesota, George Washington, Notre Dame, and UCLA (not a URM, applied as senior very early in the cycle). Your GPA will be a problem, unless you had an "exceptionally tough" major such as engineering or something of that nature. BTW, what was your undergraduate major?

Congrats on your cycle -- you were a reverse splitter though. OP is not a splitter with that LSAT... No matter what the major might be it wont be competitive without an lsat at 75ths.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Wed May 08, 2013 12:10 am

Damn bro, founded a not-for-profit?

Awesome man, startup stand.

Don't have anything to add, it's all really been covered by bagelboy, just wanted to congratulate you.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri May 10, 2013 2:44 am

Bagel is on point.

You probably wont get in anywhere with an LSAT median of 166+ (which are basically all the schools who happen to be ranked 15-25, except Alabama and Indiana and maybe some other one). Forget USNWR though. T25 is a flame. T20 is a flame. Indiana is a flame. Look at job stats on LST.

If you were to get into a T25 with a median of 166+ you would almost certainly be paying sticker, which is a terrible financial move.

You should retake obviously, but with out a higher score, I think the most important questions are "where do you have ties?" and "where would you like to practice?"

You should be considering schools that may give you reasonable scholarships that perhaps may make attending not a terrible decision. If youre from FL, you should be looking at FSU/UF- NOT Alabama/Indiana. If youre from TX, you should be looking at UHLC/SMU- NOT Alabama/Indiana. If you want Cali- Retake or dont go.
Last edited by Nova on Fri May 10, 2013 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri May 10, 2013 2:48 am

Nova wrote:Bagel is on point.

You probably wont get in anywhere with an LSAT median of 166+ (which are basically all the schools who happen to be ranked 15-25, except Alabama and Indiana and maybe some other one). Forget USNWR though. T25 is a flame. T20 is a flame. Indiana is a flame. Look at job stats on LST.

If you were to get into a T25 with a median of 166+ you would almost certainly be paying sticker, which is a terrible financial move.

You should retake obviously, but with out a higher score, I think the most important questions are "where do you have ties?" and "where would like to practice?"

You should be considering schools that may give you reasonable scholarships that perhaps may make attending not a terrible decision. If youre from FL, you should be looking at FSU/UF- NOT Alabama/Indiana. If youre from TX, you should be looking at UHLC/SMU- NOT Alabama/Indiana. If you want Cali- Retake or dont go.

All of this is exactly what I was going to say.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 am

retake

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Fri May 10, 2013 9:38 am

Tekrul wrote:Damn bro, founded a not-for-profit?

Don't have anything to add, it's all really been covered by bagelboy, just wanted to congratulate you.

Lol. Can't tell if serious.

Founding a non-profit involving filing some papers. That's about it lol.

dawyzest1

Postby dawyzest1 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:30 pm

Total Litigator wrote:
Tekrul wrote:Damn bro, founded a not-for-profit?

Lol. Can't tell if serious.

Founding a non-profit involving filing some papers. That's about it lol.

+1. So true. This is a more common than it should be soft in these parts. I'd like the next person who has founded a non-profit to share what the annual revenues of that non-profit are. That will be enlightening.

Return to “What are my chances?”