delete Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bievmic

New

delete

Post by bievmic » Mon May 06, 2013 4:57 am

deleted
Last edited by bievmic on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Gold

Re: 3.25 and 170 where can I get in and where am I out for sure

Post by Clearly » Mon May 06, 2013 4:59 am

NU, maybe UVA, ESP of you ED

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Mon May 06, 2013 5:03 am

That's what I was thinking. If not there then what is the highest school that I would be almost a sure thing at?

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon May 06, 2013 5:04 am

Too hard to say as a splitter

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:32 am

No chance at T6.

Probably no shot at Berk.

Low-ok at the rest, except NU and Georgetown where you have a decent shot.

Apply broadly to all the non-T6 and see what happens. And include local regionals. Since you are in chicago, that might mean Illinois, WUSTL and Notre Dame, and probably Indiana, Iowa and Wisconsin.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Mon May 06, 2013 11:14 am

With a GPA that low, my traditional advice would be to RETAKE and aim for the mid-170s... but you're going to have an unpredictable cycle no matter what. Definitely ED to NU and UVA.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon May 06, 2013 11:46 am

PRgradBYU wrote:With a GPA that low, my traditional advice would be to RETAKE and aim for the mid-170s... but you're going to have an unpredictable cycle no matter what. Definitely ED to NU and UVA.
Ed to NU comes with full ride, and they specifically prohibit multiple EDs per cycle even if they don't overlap. No shot ED to NU

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Mon May 06, 2013 12:21 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:With a GPA that low, my traditional advice would be to RETAKE and aim for the mid-170s... but you're going to have an unpredictable cycle no matter what. Definitely ED to NU and UVA.
Ed to NU comes with full ride, and they specifically prohibit multiple EDs per cycle even if they don't overlap. No shot ED to NU
Touché. That makes sense, given the $150k scholly NU offers.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 06, 2013 1:32 pm

As others have said, your cycle will be hard to predict. this is why the most important thing to do is to apply BROADLY.

ED UVA, then hit all the lower T14 (MDNCG) with a strong emphasis on NU since you have chicago WE and LSAT median, Minnesota (expect $$), GW, and any other splitter friendly schools in the top 25 but only attend those on full scholarship.

I think Minnesota is a good fallback if the T14 is out with your GPA (T20 school) if you are OK practicing in the twin cities.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Mon May 06, 2013 9:07 pm

OP: ED UVA

does anyone know if this upcoming cycle will be even more unpredictable than the most recent?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Mon May 06, 2013 9:36 pm

You should ED one of MVP if you're willing to pay sticker, or you will be able to get a heavy discount at the t20 schools. You're unlikely to get much/any money at t14 schools so you'll probably have to choose between debt aversion and worse job prospects.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:59 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
Interpreting NU's ED policy as a Prohibition against non-overlapping ED's is a mistake. It seems to be a slightly ambiguous prohibition against concurrent.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:00 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:OP: ED UVA

does anyone know if this upcoming cycle will be even more unpredictable than the most recent?
Don't ED UVA. The application pool keeps shrinking and shrinking. 3.3/170 is a T14 lock even in good times. Right now, you may see money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon May 06, 2013 10:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:
Interpreting NU's ED policy as a Prohibition against non-overlapping ED's is a mistake. It seems to be a slightly ambiguous prohibition against concurrent.
"Early Decision candidates commit themselves to matriculating at Northwestern Law if admitted pursuant to the Early Decision program. An applicant may not be an Early Decision candidate at more than one school during the same admissions cycle. Candidates applying to Northwestern through the Early Decision program may apply to other law schools on a regular decision basis. However, they must understand and agree that they are required to immediately withdraw all other law school applications if they are accepted to Northwestern as an Early Decision candidate and that they may not initiate any new applications after they have been informed of their acceptance to Northwestern under the Early Decision program."

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:22 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:
"Early Decision candidates commit themselves to matriculating at Northwestern Law if admitted pursuant to the Early Decision program. An applicant may not be an Early Decision candidate at more than one school during the same admissions cycle(You aren't an ED candidate any more if you get dinged. I was an ED candidate at UVA, then I Was one at NU. I was never an ED candidate at more than one school at ANY time during the admissions cycle. One then the Other. Never more than one at once) . Candidates applying to Northwestern through the Early Decision program may apply to other law schools on a regular decision basis. However, they must understand and agree that they are required to immediately withdraw all other law school applications if they are accepted to Northwestern as an Early Decision candidate and that they may not initiate any new applications after they have been informed of their acceptance to Northwestern under the Early Decision program."
Last edited by 09042014 on Mon May 06, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon May 06, 2013 10:30 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:
"Early Decision candidates commit themselves to matriculating at Northwestern Law if admitted pursuant to the Early Decision program. An applicant may not be an Early Decision candidate at more than one school during the same admissions cycle. Candidates applying to Northwestern through the Early Decision program may apply to other law schools on a regular decision basis. However, they must understand and agree that they are required to immediately withdraw all other law school applications if they are accepted to Northwestern as an Early Decision candidate and that they may not initiate any new applications after they have been informed of their acceptance to Northwestern under the Early Decision program."
That said, I'm sure it's questionably enforced, especially the you can't apply ED to other schools after we ding you part. That's like both breaking up with someone, and telling them they can't see other people.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon May 06, 2013 11:05 pm

"Early Decision candidates commit themselves to matriculating at Northwestern Law if admitted pursuant to the Early Decision program. An applicant may not be an Early Decision candidate at more than one school during the same admissions cycle(You aren't an ED candidate any more if you get dinged. I was an ED candidate at UVA, then I Was one at NU. I was never an ED candidate at more than one school at ANY time during the admissions cycle. One then the Other. Never more than one at once) .
I'm afraid as far as this sentence goes that I just don't see the same ambiguity. It's not saying you shouldn't overlap, it says "more than one school during the same admissions cycle" You were an ED candidate at two schools in one admission cycle, whether they overlap or not. I follow that you're playing on this I stopped being a candidate when they dinged me thing, but you clearly were an ED candidate at more than one school that cycle, even if they didn't overlap.

Like I said, they shouldn't and likely couldn't do anything about it anyway, and I have no doubt at all that no one had a problem with what you (and plenty others) did; but they if they mean something different, they should revise this policy, because their choice of wording seems pretty clear to me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Wed May 08, 2013 12:15 am

Retake to mid 170's. I had a 3.2 GPA too.

As a splitter it will not be easy to say where you are out for certain or where you are in for certain. But by bringing that LSAT up to 174+ and blanketing t-14, I would expect a few hits and some of those with money.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed May 08, 2013 2:16 am

Tekrul wrote:Retake to mid 170's. I had a 3.2 GPA too.

As a splitter it will not be easy to say where you are out for certain or where you are in for certain. But by bringing that LSAT up to 174+ and blanketing t-14, I would expect a few hits and some of those with money.
looking at your info Tekrul, I must wonder, why did you choose to graduate in three years? Aren't you at Columbia UG? I can't imagine why you wouldn't have taken a 4th year to raise your GPA/learn more stuff/have more fun. Especially if you knew you were applying to LS. I would have fought to stay in UG longer than my 4 years if I could ... work life blows.

You may have had legit reasons -- I'm just curious.

bievmic

New

Post by bievmic » Mon May 20, 2013 12:00 am

Thanks for all of the feedback guys.

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:26 pm

Why do people on this forum advocate ED to UVA under any circumstances? This is probably the best possible argument for ED UVA (with OP's numbers), but you're consigning him to $300k of debt for what is still unarguably a lot of risk. NU's ED comes with a full ride, better job placement, and a healthier market.

What advantages does UVA's ED actually confer? Given OP's WE in Chicago, ED NU sounds like a great choice and he has a good shot there. UVA doesn't really get him anything. Sure, he could get in, but he could probably get in RD as well, and would you advocate UVA RD at sticker as a contender? Probably not...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue May 21, 2013 1:43 pm

cahwc12 wrote:Why do people on this forum advocate ED to UVA under any circumstances? This is probably the best possible argument for ED UVA (with OP's numbers), but you're consigning him to $300k of debt for what is still unarguably a lot of risk. NU's ED comes with a full ride, better job placement, and a healthier market.

What advantages does UVA's ED actually confer? Given OP's WE in Chicago, ED NU sounds like a great choice and he has a good shot there. UVA doesn't really get him anything. Sure, he could get in, but he could probably get in RD as well, and would you advocate UVA RD at sticker as a contender? Probably not...
ED UVA is a hangover from the conventional wisdom of several years ago operating on the premises that;
1) sticker was manageable and acceptable @ T10
2) best chances (quantitatively) for splitters at the best ranked school (RD used to be more competitive at the height of apps)
3) you go to the best school you get in to

gnuwheels

Bronze

Post by gnuwheels » Tue May 21, 2013 1:51 pm

I was 3.24 and 171 and I got into Michigan ED. Its hard to say how much that 1 point difference in the LSAT will make a difference though, because I was above their 75th %ile but you won't be.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue May 21, 2013 4:19 pm

cahwc12 wrote:Why do people on this forum advocate ED to UVA under any circumstances? This is probably the best possible argument for ED UVA (with OP's numbers), but you're consigning him to $300k of debt for what is still unarguably a lot of risk. NU's ED comes with a full ride, better job placement, and a healthier market.

Because NU ED comes with a full ride it's MORE competitive than RD, not the other way around. Op would get rolled into RD and likely admitted, but it's a waste of the ED. Better idea to use the ED for a reach like Penn.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue May 21, 2013 4:32 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:

Because NU ED comes with a full ride it's MORE competitive than RD, not the other way around. Op would get rolled into RD and likely admitted, but it's a waste of the ED. Better idea to use the ED for a reach like Penn.
Penn is basically no shot, even ED. UVA is the highest ranked school where ED could open up a chance at acceptance with a 3.25. that's the point.

However, the reason I think ED UVA is questionable is that UVA at sticker is.. well, not what I would do. OP stands a decent chance at NU, Cornell, Georgetown, and maybe UVA RD off the WL.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”