Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
StructuresAndForces

Postby StructuresAndForces » Sat May 04, 2013 9:11 pm

Last edited by StructuresAndForces on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManoftheHour

Re: 3.54UGPA 171LSAT

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat May 04, 2013 9:15 pm

I'm interested in this. Also PTing in the low 170s. However, I have dead weight in that this is my third exam (162, X).

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Sat May 04, 2013 9:42 pm

Last edited by Aawaldrop on Mon May 06, 2013 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun May 05, 2013 2:07 am

OP will be splitter, so its a legit thread. Post above unnecessary.

I dont mean to discourage you, but I really wouldnt count on H or S unless you are an underrepresented minority, i.e., black, native american, certain types of latino. The GPA floors are pretty solid at 3.6 as an absolute minimum. This is both statistically and anecdotally true.

If you score 171, you might want to consider ED Chicago or UVA to maybe overcome the GPA if you have good softs. Sometimes calculators wont pick up on this bump. If you really get 175 then CCN should be well within reach.

Good luck!

intlsplitr

Postby intlsplitr » Sun May 05, 2013 10:40 pm

jbagelboy wrote:OP will be splitter, so its a legit thread. Post above unnecessary.

I dont mean to discourage you, but I really wouldnt count on H or S unless you are an underrepresented minority, i.e., black, native american, certain types of latino. The GPA floors are pretty solid at 3.6 as an absolute minimum. This is both statistically and anecdotally true.

If you score 171, you might want to consider ED Chicago or UVA to maybe overcome the GPA if you have good softs. Sometimes calculators wont pick up on this bump. If you really get 175 then CCN should be well within reach.

Good luck!

At 171/3.5 OP has a shot at UVA RD, provided he/she writes a convincing 'why UVA' essay.

OP - you need to come back when you have a real LSAT score.

intlsplitr

Postby intlsplitr » Sun May 05, 2013 10:43 pm

FWIW you have a great chance at T14 with your GPA and a 170+, especially at Duke, GT and NU (if you have WE). Berk is probably out. Check out mylsn if you haven't already.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun May 05, 2013 10:49 pm

jbagelboy wrote:OP will be splitter, so its a legit thread. Post above unnecessary.

Good luck!

Is acceptance via ED Penn out of reach? :(

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 06, 2013 2:18 am

ManoftheHour wrote:

Good luck!

Is acceptance via ED Penn out of reach? :(

I would assume ED penn is definitely in reach, although I dont know about the ED1/ED2 process. I never applied to Penn so I definitely cant speak as heavily to its admissions.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon May 06, 2013 4:13 am

OP, use Manhattan LSAT prep, take in OCT, profit

StructuresAndForces

Postby StructuresAndForces » Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 pm

Last edited by StructuresAndForces on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed May 08, 2013 9:35 pm

StructuresAndForces wrote:Thanks for all the information and advice. Sometimes a lot of this feels all very opaque to me.

At the moment I am focusing on total obliteration of the LSAT. Haven't done any Logical Reasoning studying yet, so I just picked up the Logical Reasoning Bible today. What is advice on the June vs. October LSAT if I think I could probably improve my score more by October? I have really only been studying for about two weeks so far. Also, are there any test prep materials targeted towards 170+ scores?

Any useful threads, information, links would be extremely helpful.

Thanks again.

Powerscore and Manhattan are the preferred 170+ material. I recommend the powerscore bibles personally. Read all 3 and then start doing timed PTs. Be sure you're spending more time going over your tests than you're spending taking tests, that's when you actually make improvements. Even if you 180 a test, go over every question again and take the time to figure out exactly why your answers were correct and exactly why every other answer was wrong. I also would cut out all the questions I got wrong and go over them again as flashcards. Even after you figure out why you got a specific question wrong, it can be great to have all the questions you've got wrong for the last 20 PTs to see patterns. Even if you're scoring very well and don't seem to miss any particular question type very often, when you look at 20 PTs worth of data there will be obvious patterns that emerge. Aim to do 40+ total timed PTs and you should be plateauing by then.

Definitely give yourself time until October. You realistically can't do much of anything I just outlined for the June test, and either way you'll be applying plenty early for the 13/14 cycle. Most people will have a 4-5 point drop from their PT average on the real deal, so you want to be PTing at 175+ before you sit to be safe. (Plenty of people hit their avg or even exceed it on test day, but they're the minority)

GL

StructuresAndForces

Postby StructuresAndForces » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:33 pm

Last edited by StructuresAndForces on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:42 pm

StructuresAndForces wrote:So, just an update now that the LSAT score is in. The 175 I was hoping for has materialized after months of studying.

So with the new information what schools are likely out of my reach in the T14 with my 175/3.54?

Thanks for the information and advice as always.

Yale, Stanford, Harvard, and Berkeley are most likely out of reach. Everyone else seems viable.

http://mylsn.info/by649h

DrStudMuffin

Postby DrStudMuffin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:47 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
StructuresAndForces wrote:So, just an update now that the LSAT score is in. The 175 I was hoping for has materialized after months of studying.

So with the new information what schools are likely out of my reach in the T14 with my 175/3.54?

Thanks for the information and advice as always.

Yale, Stanford, Harvard, and Berkeley are most likely out of reach. Everyone else seems viable.

http://mylsn.info/by649h

Congrats on the score! Barring H further lowering its GPA floor this year, jbagel is likely spot on.

Return to “What are my chances?”