W's on transcript?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Luke_Lawyer19
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:10 pm

W's on transcript?

Postby Luke_Lawyer19 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:21 pm

At what point do w's on transcript hurt your admission into schools like H,Y,S?

I have two. Don't plan on having anymore and have a valid reason for having them (was extremely sick).

I've been told on this forum once before that the two w's are insignificant when applying to H,Y,S. However, I'd like to know when do w's start to hurt your application to H,Y,S?

Thanks guys.

User avatar
Robbin Blue
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:13 am

Re: W's on transcript?

Postby Robbin Blue » Sat May 04, 2013 10:42 pm

H, probably doesn't matter unless it's a LOT of withdrawals (like, entire semesters multiple times). Y,S, they're black boxes already, so I wouldn't worry about it. There's no reason a couple of Ws would hurt your chances with them, if you're otherwise qualified (which almost no one is, so again... Probably don't need to worry about it).

Edit: Bro, you just finished your freshman year? Get off TLS, go get laid.

User avatar
Luke_Lawyer19
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:10 pm

Re: W's on transcript?

Postby Luke_Lawyer19 » Sun May 05, 2013 12:18 am

What exactly do you mean when you say that Yale and Stanford are black boxes already?

User avatar
Robbin Blue
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:13 am

Re: W's on transcript?

Postby Robbin Blue » Sun May 05, 2013 12:27 am

Luke_Lawyer19 wrote:What exactly do you mean when you say that Yale and Stanford are black boxes already?


They both take small class sizes and since they're ranked in the top 3, everyone applies to them. They can accept anyone they want. So they get to be pickier than any other law schools and can weigh things other than GPA/LSAT in their decisions. Because of that, they're really hard to predict, decisionwise. Harvard has a much larger class size, so they're basically just looking at your GPA and LSAT.

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: W's on transcript?

Postby elterrible78 » Sun May 05, 2013 12:38 am

Robbin Blue wrote:
Luke_Lawyer19 wrote:What exactly do you mean when you say that Yale and Stanford are black boxes already?


They both take small class sizes and since they're ranked in the top 3, everyone applies to them. They can accept anyone they want. So they get to be pickier than any other law schools and can weigh things other than GPA/LSAT in their decisions. Because of that, they're really hard to predict, decisionwise. Harvard has a much larger class size, so they're basically just looking at your GPA and LSAT.


This. Of the T14, they are the hardest to predict on numbers alone, by quite a bit.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9645
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: W's on transcript?

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 14, 2013 5:32 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
Robbin Blue wrote:
Luke_Lawyer19 wrote:What exactly do you mean when you say that Yale and Stanford are black boxes already?


They both take small class sizes and since they're ranked in the top 3, everyone applies to them. They can accept anyone they want. So they get to be pickier than any other law schools and can weigh things other than GPA/LSAT in their decisions. Because of that, they're really hard to predict, decisionwise. Harvard has a much larger class size, so they're basically just looking at your GPA and LSAT.


This. Of the T14, they are the hardest to predict on numbers alone, by quite a bit.


Conversely, often lower LSATs sneak into Stanford that get locked out of Harvard. You just have to catch the eye of admissions.

User avatar
pupshaw
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: W's on transcript?

Postby pupshaw » Sat May 18, 2013 9:44 am

I had 6 W's and I'm at H.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: W's on transcript?

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun May 19, 2013 9:23 am

cerealdan wrote:I had 6 W's and I'm at H.



What were your numbers

User avatar
pupshaw
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: W's on transcript?

Postby pupshaw » Sun May 19, 2013 11:23 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
cerealdan wrote:I had 6 W's and I'm at H.



What were your numbers


3.75/177 (retake from 168).

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9645
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: W's on transcript?

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 20, 2013 1:32 pm

cerealdan wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
cerealdan wrote:I had 6 W's and I'm at H.



What were your numbers


3.75/177 (retake from 168).


yea.

this is how W's work. It won't take away from your strong numbers. However, if another applicant had 3.75/175+ and they could only fit one of you, they would have taken the other guy. Fortunately, when your above LSAT 75ths, there's almost always room for you. haha

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: W's on transcript?

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon May 20, 2013 5:17 pm

W's don't mean anything on your transcript. I got into H with a bunch of them. Oh and my LSAT is 177.




:lol:

User avatar
Balthy
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: W's on transcript?

Postby Balthy » Mon May 20, 2013 5:55 pm

cerealdan wrote:I had 6 W's and I'm at H.




Ooooooooooooooooooooooh hallelujah! I always worry my Ws will exclude me from HYS.

User avatar
Luke_Lawyer19
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:10 pm

Re: W's on transcript?

Postby Luke_Lawyer19 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Cerealdan, what university did you/are you attending?

User avatar
jwaters92
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 3:19 pm

Re: W's on transcript?

Postby jwaters92 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:26 pm

deleted

User avatar
Luke_Lawyer19
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:10 pm

Re: W's on transcript?

Postby Luke_Lawyer19 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:30 pm

jwaters92 wrote:No schools really care to any significant degree. Been addressed on other posts.


In terms of W's on transcript or prestigious institutions?




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], ponderingmeerkat and 7 guests