AA male, 3.64 GPA, LSAT soon chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
anubis1911
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 12:41 am

AA male, 3.64 GPA, LSAT soon chances?

Postby anubis1911 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:48 am

Alright, I am currently a URM AA male with a 3.64 GPA student government association senator with a Secret Security Clearance. I am taking my LSAT in June but have been scoring around 158-162. I have taken 15 + prep tests and am taking a Powerscore course. What are my chances at the following schools? (Mostly curious on some)
-Yale
-Harvard
-Columbia
-University of Texas (This is the one I want)
-Georgetown
-University of Miami
-University of Florida

Assuming my score plus AA status does not get me into these school, what would?
Thanks!

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: AA male, 3.64 GPA, LSAT soon chances?

Postby nebula666 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:40 am

come back when you have a score

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: AA male, 3.64 GPA, LSAT soon chances?

Postby TripTrip » Sat May 04, 2013 1:05 pm

anubis1911 wrote:Alright, I am currently a URM AA male
Awesome.

anubis1911 wrote:with a 3.64 GPA
Not bad.

anubis1911 wrote:student government association senator
Is that all you have for extracurriculars?

anubis1911 wrote:with a Secret Security Clearance.
That will do nothing for you. There are plenty of applicants with TS and TS//SCI clearances who have seen no boost. The only way this would do anything for you is if that clearance is DOD and you have it because you were E5 and deployed and can write a good PS about that experience.

anubis1911 wrote:I am taking my LSAT in June but have been scoring around 158-162.
Don't take the LSAT in June if that's where you are PTing. Keep studying until October and hit the high 160s or low 170s. It's well worth the wait for you.

anubis1911 wrote:I have taken 15 + prep tests
Not enough.

anubis1911 wrote:-Yale
-Harvard
-Columbia
-University of Texas (This is the one I want)
-Georgetown
-University of Miami
-University of Florida
This is a pretty random list. You're applying to the whole T14 no matter what, right?

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: AA male, 3.64 GPA, LSAT soon chances?

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat May 04, 2013 1:30 pm

Don't take the LSAT this June. Take it October.

If you get 170+ you will be looking at YHS

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: AA male, 3.64 GPA, LSAT soon chances?

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat May 04, 2013 3:35 pm

anubis1911 wrote:Alright, I am currently a URM AA male with a 3.64 GPA student government association senator with a Secret Security Clearance. I am taking my LSAT in June but have been scoring around 158-162. I have taken 15 + prep tests and am taking a Powerscore course. What are my chances at the following schools? (Mostly curious on some)
-Yale
-Harvard
-Columbia
-University of Texas (This is the one I want)
-Georgetown
-University of Miami
-University of Florida

Assuming my score plus AA status does not get me into these school, what would?
Thanks!


If UT is what you really want, a 163+ will get you there. But you should be aiming much higher than that. You've got a great GPA. On top of that, you're AA male, which receives the highest URM boost of any minority. If you break the 170s, you'll be a lock for every school on your list (with the obvious exception of Yale--there's really no such thing as a lock for Yale).

My advice: Wait until October to take the LSAT. Your score can only improve (unless you're retarded like me and start to overthink RC after studying for a couple months). Identify your weaknesses and drill them until they become your strengths. Good luck, man.

anubis1911
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 12:41 am

Re: AA male, 3.64 GPA, LSAT soon chances?

Postby anubis1911 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:22 pm

My security clearance is through the Department of Intelligence. Other extracurricular activites include: Model United Nations, Golden Key International Honour Society, political party on campus founding member, Pi Sigma Alpha, Russian Club, and I am expected to become the Chairman of the Judiciary Committee within the Senate . As far as my other scholarly works, I am a dual major in Political Science and International Relations. I also have a certificate in National Security Studies and am in the Honors College. Yes, I am applying to the entire T14.I was planning on taking the LSAT in June and then, if necessary, again in October. I know that the June LSAT is supposed to be harder or whatever. I also have more tests on the way. Thank you all for your feedback

NanaP
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Re: AA male, 3.64 GPA, LSAT soon chances?

Postby NanaP » Sat May 04, 2013 5:31 pm

Is the June LSAT historically been harder?

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: AA male, 3.64 GPA, LSAT soon chances?

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat May 04, 2013 5:36 pm

anubis1911 wrote:My security clearance is through the Department of Intelligence. Other extracurricular activites include: Model United Nations, Golden Key International Honour Society, political party on campus founding member, Pi Sigma Alpha, Russian Club, and I am expected to become the Chairman of the Judiciary Committee within the Senate .



No one will care


anubis1911 wrote:As far as my other scholarly works, I am a dual major in Political Science and International Relations. I also have a certificate in National Security Studies and am in the Honors College.


your majors are not impressive and being in the Honors program is irrelevant

anubis1911 wrote:Yes, I am applying to the entire T14.I was planning on taking the LSAT in June and then, if necessary, again in October.


if your serious about taking it October, i recommend you use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-LSAT/e/B0053HGVRQ

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: AA male, 3.64 GPA, LSAT soon chances?

Postby Cobretti » Sat May 04, 2013 5:38 pm

NanaP wrote:Is the June LSAT historically been harder?

It historically has had the least forgiving curve (dec is historically the most forgiving)

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: AA male, 3.64 GPA, LSAT soon chances?

Postby TripTrip » Sat May 04, 2013 5:41 pm

anubis1911 wrote:My security clearance is through the Department of Intelligence.
Er, there is no such thing as the "Department of Intelligence." It isn't really necessary to have this discussion on a public forum, though, so just PM me if you have any more questions about this.

anubis1911 wrote:Other extracurricular activites include: Model United Nations, Golden Key International Honour Society, political party on campus founding member, Pi Sigma Alpha, Russian Club, and I am expected to become the Chairman of the Judiciary Committee within the Senate . As far as my other scholarly works, I am a dual major in Political Science and International Relations.
Good. Don't discredit those on your application.

anubis1911 wrote:Yes, I am applying to the entire T14.
Perfect.

anubis1911 wrote:I was planning on taking the LSAT in June and then, if necessary, again in October.
If you're not at your absolute best in June, don't take it. Just wait until October. No need to have two scores on your record when you could just have one.

NanaP wrote:Is the June LSAT historically been harder?
Not really.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: AA male, 3.64 GPA, LSAT soon chances?

Postby Cobretti » Sat May 04, 2013 5:46 pm

TripTrip wrote:
anubis1911 wrote:My security clearance is through the Department of Intelligence.
Er, there is no such thing as the "Department of Intelligence." It isn't really necessary to have this discussion on a public forum, though, so just PM me if you have any more questions about this.

+1....

User avatar
Aawaldrop
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 am

Re: AA male, 3.64 GPA, LSAT soon chances?

Postby Aawaldrop » Sat May 04, 2013 9:43 pm

.
Last edited by Aawaldrop on Mon May 06, 2013 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9650
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: AA male, 3.64 GPA, LSAT soon chances?

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 06, 2013 2:34 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
anubis1911 wrote:My security clearance is through the Department of Intelligence. Other extracurricular activites include: Model United Nations, Golden Key International Honour Society, political party on campus founding member, Pi Sigma Alpha, Russian Club, and I am expected to become the Chairman of the Judiciary Committee within the Senate .



No one will care


Depends on how you work it into your application, PS, and goals. The generic college clubs like judiciary committee or MUN were probably not the best use of your time for law school, better for consulting (I hope they were fun?), conversely, russian club could be useful if you discuss comparative law opportunities in that region.

Dr. Dre wrote:
anubis1911 wrote:As far as my other scholarly works, I am a dual major in Political Science and International Relations. I also have a certificate in National Security Studies and am in the Honors College.


your majors are not impressive and being in the Honors program is irrelevant


Dre is right about the majors, many applicants will have those. The honors college is better than not being in the honors college, all things considered; this also depends on your specific UG.

User avatar
dawyzest1
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:39 am

Re: AA male, 3.64 GPA, LSAT soon chances?

Postby dawyzest1 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:32 pm

In the URM forum there is a great thread that gives a breakdown of the numbers as they relate to AA folks. You can get that by clicking here.

anubis1911 wrote:Assuming my score plus AA status does not get me into these school, what would?
Thanks!


Unfortunately, the only things that are really going to matter in this are your uGPA, which is basically set, and your LSAT and your AAm URM status. If those don't line up right for a school, it's a wrap, unless you had something truly exceptional to say or in your background. My favorite test for that is that if you know anyone who could possibly be applying to law school who has said what you're saying or done what you've done, it's not exceptional.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: erinkh and 1 guest