Classics: best pre-law major?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
A. Nony Mouse

Re: Classics: best pre-law major?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:49 pm

IAFG wrote:I seriously question whether it is a classics education that helps in LS or those to stick with a classics major also happen to be successful in LS.

Yeah, I think there's going to be some serious self-selection going on with classics majors.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:00 pm

I dont know what classics are like at a normal UG, but there's definitely a causal link between doing philosophy and doing well on the LSAT. Still wouldnt recommend it to most people though.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:23 pm

I spent the vast majority of my Classics major career translating Latin and Greek into English and v.v.

If anything, studying/translating Classical language is like studying math.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:31 pm

statistics of LSAT scores by major for 2008-2009

http://www.potsdam.edu/academics/AAS/Ph ... Majors.pdf
Last edited by J-e-L-L-o on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:46 pm

banjo

Postby banjo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:32 am

Latin is a fun hobby, but there's no need to major in it.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:44 am

Elston Gunn wrote:I dont know what classics are like at a normal UG, but there's definitely a causal link between doing philosophy and doing well on the LSAT. Still wouldnt recommend it to most people though.

I am not sure you know what "definitely" and "causal" and "link" mean.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:01 am

IAFG wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:I dont know what classics are like at a normal UG, but there's definitely a causal link between doing philosophy and doing well on the LSAT. Still wouldnt recommend it to most people though.

Heh, well I mean "definitely" in the sense of, in my opinion the connection is obvious when you've done both, not because of the stats that show a correlation. Obviously it's not "definite" in a literal sense, but then again nothing causal is. Would you prefer it if I said I strongly believe the link is causal and not just correlative?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:41 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Heh, well I mean "definitely" in the sense of, in my opinion the connection is obvious when you've done both, not because of the stats that show a correlation. Obviously it's not "definite" in a literal sense, but then again nothing causal is. Would you prefer it if I said I strongly believe the link is causal and not just correlative?

Is this the shit they teach you in philosphy school?

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:03 pm

IAFG wrote:

It seems clear enough. I would not doubt that studying philosophy - especially formal logic - would increase LSAT performance.

What part of that claim is outrageous?

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:14 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
IAFG wrote:

It seems clear enough. I would not doubt that studying philosophy - especially formal logic - would increase LSAT performance.

Who cares. Anyone with above average intelligence and 4 months can crack 170.

Finance, CS, Electrical Engineering, relevant languages are actually going to get you a job over your equally situated peers.

If anything, Classics will make some employers think "this person doesn't have any real life experience."

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:16 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
IAFG wrote:

If you can't see what's wrong with the claim, I have to assume you're not one of the people with average intelligence and a few months to study who managed to crack 170.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:19 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Who cares. Anyone with above average intelligence and 4 months can crack 170.

Finance, CS, Electrical Engineering, relevant languages are actually going to get you a job over your equally situated peers.

Oh for sure. He was just catching a lot of shit and it didn't seem like that bad of a statement for TLS.

To give actual advice for OP, joining the chorus of "whatever you can handle that qualifies for the patent bar".

IAFG wrote:If you can't see what's wrong with the claim, I have to assume you're not one of the people with average intelligence and a few months to study who managed to crack 170.

lol

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:21 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Who cares. Anyone with above average intelligence and 4 months can crack 170.

Oh for sure. He was just catching a lot of shit and it didn't seem like that bad of a statement for TLS.

To give actual advice for OP, joining the chorus of "whatever you can handle that qualifies for the patent bar".

IAFG wrote:If you can't see what's wrong with the claim, I have to assume you're not one of the people with average intelligence and a few months to study who managed to crack 170.

lol

Firms do like the EE and CS peeps a lit more than the Physics or whatever.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:35 pm

IAFG wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
IAFG wrote:

If you can't see what's wrong with the claim, I have to assume you're not one of the people with average intelligence and a few months to study who managed to crack 170.

It's totally obvious that the skills learned are similar. You're basically snarking either because I used definitely like a normal person would in a conversation or because the other words I used sounded kind of douchey. Which is fair enough I guess, but if you actually disagree with the point, I think you're being pretty dumb.
Last edited by Elston Gunn on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agent

Postby Agent » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:20 pm

PSA: Patent bar exam eligibility =/= employability. Lots of low-value majors will qualify you to sit for the patent bar exam.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:59 pm

FWIW, I met a ridiculous number of classics majors at Yale ASW.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed May 01, 2013 3:19 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:It's totally obvious that the skills learned are similar. You're basically snarking either because I used definitely like a normal person would in a conversation or because the other words I used sounded kind of douchey. Which is fair enough I guess, but if you actually disagree with the point, I think you're being pretty dumb.

My point is that people who don't wash out of programs requiring formal logic (or aren't scared off by them in the first place) are going to do better on the LSAT. So I don't think it's clear that the training itself causes people to do better on the LSAT. Particularly because I don't think formal logic coursework is going to help you terribly much with RC and much of LG.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 03, 2013 2:52 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:statistics of LSAT scores by major for 2008-2009

http://www.potsdam.edu/academics/AAS/Ph ... Majors.pdf

lol. math is killing itttt represent!!

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Cicero76 wrote:FWIW, I met a ridiculous number of classics majors at Yale ASW.

this does not surprise me in the least.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat May 04, 2013 1:11 am

OP is your interested in studying Latin, don't major in classics. This is all you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Wheelocks-Latin-7th/dp/0061997226

Luke_Lawyer19

Postby Luke_Lawyer19 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:57 am

What do you guys think of Honors programs?

Do they stand out?

+'s and -'s ?

WorldsEndGirlfriend

Postby WorldsEndGirlfriend » Sun May 05, 2013 7:43 am

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:The best pre-law major is electrical engineering.

Computer Science. Just as in demand, but it's easier.

Can't EEs do CS work but not vice versa?

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sun May 05, 2013 10:41 am

Luke_Lawyer19 wrote:What do you guys think of Honors programs?

Do they stand out?

+'s and -'s ?

definitely stand out, especially if you went to a state school and could have gone to better schools.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun May 05, 2013 10:56 am

You never know when your fact-pattern on a law exam will seamlessly segue into Attic Greek, leaving the most classically trained among us at the top.

Return to “What are my chances?”