T14/Biglaw Aspirations worth leaving Big 4 career route?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thatsnotmyname

T14/Biglaw Aspirations worth leaving Big 4 career route?

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:09 pm

deleted
Last edited by thatsnotmyname on Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whatisthis

Re: T14/Biglaw Aspirations worth leaving Big 4 career route?

Postby Whatisthis » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Unfortunately, I can't really comment as to biglaw exit opportunities. However, I can say that your opportunity cost is about 60K too high. During those three years you will have to spend some amount on basic living expenses whether or not you attend law school; therefore, such amounts should not factor into your opportunity costs. Basically, because you've already included around 20k/year of living expenses within your cost of attendance, you must exclude these amounts from your opportunity costs to avoid double counting.

Also, I'm a 3L at a T6 with similar numbers . . . higher LSAT a little lower GPA. I didn't receive any money (though this may just be due to stupidity on my part, dunno).

Personally, I would avoid the debt and the stress of law school and just stay where you are. Good Luck!

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:26 pm

Whatisthis wrote:Unfortunately, I can't really comment as to biglaw exit opportunities. However, I can say that your opportunity cost is about 60K too high. During those three years you will have to spend some amount on basic living expenses whether or not you attend law school; therefore, such amounts should not factor into your opportunity costs. Basically, because you've already included around 20k/year of living expenses within your cost of attendance, you must exclude these amounts from your opportunity costs to avoid double counting.

Also, I'm a 3L at a T6 with similar numbers . . . higher LSAT a little lower GPA. I didn't receive any money (though this may just be due to stupidity on my part, dunno).

Personally, I would avoid the debt and the stress of law school and just stay where you are. Good Luck!

Hey, thanks for the response! I do not feel that my opportunity cost is too high as I've estimated it, as after graduation I moved back in with my parents and my living expenses are fairly negligible for now. This of course allows me to sock away a good portion of my paycheck into investments/savings which could potentially be used to help pay for law school or a down payment on a house in a few years...

Whatisthis

Postby Whatisthis » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:38 pm

thatsnotmyname wrote:
Whatisthis wrote:Unfortunately, I can't really comment as to biglaw exit opportunities. However, I can say that your opportunity cost is about 60K too high. During those three years you will have to spend some amount on basic living expenses whether or not you attend law school; therefore, such amounts should not factor into your opportunity costs. Basically, because you've already included around 20k/year of living expenses within your cost of attendance, you must exclude these amounts from your opportunity costs to avoid double counting.

Hey, thanks for the response! I do not feel that my opportunity cost is too high as I've estimated it, as after graduation I moved back in with my parents and my living expenses are fairly negligible for now. This of course allows me to sock away a good portion of my paycheck into investments/savings which could potentially be used to help pay for law school or a down payment on a house in a few years...

All right. Well, that's kinda a unique situation. But I guess you're correct. However, do you really think you're still gonna be living with your parents in 2014? Not judging... by all means, pile that money if you can. I have to say that it seems like your situation is pretty sweet right now (assuming your parent aren't driving you crazy). I'd think carefully about going to law school.
Last edited by Whatisthis on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ket310

Postby ket310 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Damn, I didn't know Big 4 accounting exit option was that good. I know as an entry associate, you get about 50~55K/year, increasing 3~6% per year until you make manager.

My guess is, unless you are in top 30~40% in T14 schools, in the long run, being an accountant may bring you more money than being a lawyer, if money is biggest concern. I know accounting firm partners are able to make a lot of money as well, so I won't mention path of law firm partner here.

If, on the other hand, you are considering in career of public service, it's a different story. You did not mention it, however, so I assume you want corporate law position.

Unless you really want to be a lawyer, I guess for financial purposes, given what you told us is true, stay with big 4 and continue your career there. Damn I kinda regret not going to PwC when I got the offer. I did not know exit option is that good.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:58 pm

All right. Well, that's kinda a unique situation. But I guess you're correct. However, do you really think you're still gonna be living with your parents in 2014? Not judging... by all means, pile that money if you can.

FWIW, I'm also a CPA, and I personally enjoy accounting far more than the practice of law. However, I know that big4 hours are brutal (not as bad as biglaw, tho) and the pay is kinda shitty at first. Although, I have to say that it seems like your situation is pretty sweet right now (assuming your parent aren't driving you crazy). I'd think carefully about going to law school.

Yea, I'm planning on saving for about 2-3 years before moving out and buying a house, so don't really see my living situation changing in 2014... but if you're a CPA who prefers accounting to law, why'd you decide to go to law school? Did you realize after going to law school that you prefer accounting?

That's part of my dilemma right now also, is that I'm not sure if I would actually prefer the practice of law vs. accounting. I don't feel like I have any real way of knowing until I were to get experience in a law firm which I can't do until I go to law school...

Hours at my Big 4 firm have been quite brutal and I honestly can't imagine the hours at a law firm being much worse. Maybe my office is just particularly busy or I've just been getting unlucky with my bookings but most of my time with the firm I've been working 60-70 hours per week. It looks like hours get substantially worse for more experienced associates and seniors because I've known a couple of them on jobs that i've worked on to pull all-nighters and even more who have pulled near all-nighters. I mean even I've gone to work on just 4 hours or so of sleep every night for a while...

The amount of work that I put in/the amount of work that I see seniors putting in versus the salary we get paid was also quite big on renewing my interest in law school. Because honestly, I just can't imagine the hours in big law being much worse and the salary makes it so much more bearable...
Last edited by thatsnotmyname on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:07 pm

ket310 wrote:Damn, I didn't know Big 4 accounting exit option was that good. I know as an entry associate, you get about 50~55K/year, increasing 3~6% per year until you make manager.

My guess is, unless you are in top 30~40% in T14 schools, in the long run, being an accountant may bring you more money than being a lawyer, if money is biggest concern. I know accounting firm partners are able to make a lot of money as well, so I won't mention path of law firm partner here.

If, on the other hand, you are considering in career of public service, it's a different story. You did not mention it, however, so I assume you want corporate law position.

Unless you really want to be a lawyer, I guess for financial purposes, given what you told us is true, stay with big 4 and continue your career there. Damn I kinda regret not going to PwC when I got the offer. I did not know exit option is that good.

You would find this link useful: http://goingconcern.com/post/and-now-le ... -scenarios

The comments below the article really help to provide a lot of insight though. "Let's see this comparison in dollars per hour. Also in dollars per divorce, lost friends, ulcers, grey hairs, missed vacations, late nights worked, bosses, projects worked on at one time. Any others?"

"booze and coke addictions", "Years shaved off life expectancy"

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:12 pm

thatsnotmyname wrote:I don't feel like I have any real way of knowing until I were to get experience in a law firm which I can't do until I go to law school...

Paralegals are a thing, but going that route might raise red flags if you decide you don't like it and want to go back into accounting.

Then again, so would going to law school.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:06 am

160-120=40*.65=26k

Even with a 90k scholly, your coa will be 160kish.

Cost is roughly 350k. Added value is approx 26-40k a year for 3-5 years and that isn't even certain as biglaw is not a guarantee.

After that, there isn't enough data to project which field will have better earnings.

do not go to lawschool for the money

ket310

Postby ket310 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:47 pm

thatsnotmyname wrote:

Hours at my Big 4 firm have been quite brutal and I honestly can't imagine the hours at a law firm being much worse. Maybe my office is just particularly busy or I've just been getting unlucky with my bookings but most of my time with the firm I've been working 60-70 hours per week. It looks like hours get substantially worse for more experienced associates and seniors because I've known a couple of them on jobs that i've worked on to pull all-nighters and even more who have pulled near all-nighters. I mean even I've gone to work on just 4 hours or so of sleep every night for a while...

The amount of work that I put in/the amount of work that I see seniors putting in versus the salary we get paid was also quite big on renewing my interest in law school. Because honestly, I just can't imagine the hours in big law being much worse and the salary makes it so much more bearable...

NOT TRUE. In fact, if you go to NLJ 250, your hour is going to be much much worse than what you are currently experiencing. My brother who worked in one of NLJ 250 worked usually 80 hours a week... sometimes even more... When he was busy, he got off work at around 3AM the next day and have to come back to work at 9AM. That's 18 hours a day... (minus lunch and dinner of course) Honestly, if you think Big4 life is brutal, don't even imagine going to law school for more money (for other reason, yes sure why not). NLJ 250 life will be much worse (except the pay difference of course as you have noted). Telling you from my brother's experience.

TRUE, at least you get $160K for working that much and maybe it makes it more bearable. But you won't last long anyway. Then your pay will go to around $90~120Ks.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:33 pm

ket310 wrote:
thatsnotmyname wrote:

NOT TRUE. In fact, if you go to NLJ 250, your hour is going to be much much worse than what you are currently experiencing. My brother who worked in one of NLJ 250 worked usually 80 hours a week... sometimes even more... When he was busy, he got off work at around 3AM the next day and have to come back to work at 9AM. That's 18 hours a day... (minus lunch and dinner of course) Honestly, if you think Big4 life is brutal, don't even imagine going to law school for more money (for other reason, yes sure why not). NLJ 250 will make you think Big4 was a heaven (except the pay difference of course as you have noted). Telling you from my brother's experience.

TRUE, at least you get $160K for working that much and maybe it makes it more bearable. But you won't last long anyway. Then your pay will go to around $90~120Ks.

Thanks for the reply.

What you're describing in the first section in bold with the hours doesn't sound any different from my busiest days. It's just a matter of what percent of your year is like that? You're saying that your brother worked like that when he was busy, but how long was he busy for? A month, two, six months? And like I mentioned, when I was working those hours the Seniors above me were working A LOT more. So, I already know what to expect hours wise when I get promoted...

So really if your brother is working like that, that's not atypical to me/a lot of people in Big 4 audit for 3 months out of the year. The question is if he is really working like that YEAR ROUND? In which case that would be atypical to just about everyone at Big 4 audit except for those in the NYC market from what I can gather.

The second section in bold, is pretty key to informing my decision. Because I've heard that mentioned on sites like this, that Big Law associates with 3 years of experience or so typically take pay cuts when they leave their firm. But is the pay cut really that dramatic and usual? There must be a good percentage of associates that leave their Big Law jobs for a pay increase, no? It just seems so strange to me that the salary trajectory of an ex-Big Law associate typically would drop that hard and then have to build it up again to where they were their first year out of law school.

I'm starting to lean further back away from law school again. To be clear, I have no intention of really staying long enough to make partner in a law or accounting firm. My main hope in going to law school would be that the legal background could help shortcut me into some sort of CFO/CCO/other executive position at a medium-sized private company...

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:46 pm

I use to work at the Big Four. I don't know how you ever found the time to study for the LSAT. I worked in the consulting branch, so my hours were usually a lot more humane like in the 40-50 range. The shit that sucks the most is how you have a half dozen managers all giving you work at the same time. Let us know on TLS what you end up deciding to do.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:22 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I use to work at the Big Four. I don't know how you ever found the time to study for the LSAT. I worked in the consulting branch, so my hours were usually a lot more humane like in the 40-50 range. The shit that sucks the most is how you have a half dozen managers all giving you work at the same time. Let us know on TLS what you end up deciding to do.

I studied for the LSAT while I was still in college. I just decided at that time that law school wasn't the right decision for me. I was just reconsidering it now, just to keep my options open... as when that LSAT score expires in Feb 2015, I won't have time to study for it again ever. So I really only have two admission cycles before that window will close for me in my eyes.

BUT another option that I've strongly considered is transferring to an M&A or Transaction consulting group at my firm/another firm a couple years down the line once I have a bit more experience. Big 4 consulting is soooo much better than audit in every way. Better pay, much better hours, more interesting work, shorter partner track, better b-school resume experience, etc. I actually decided against going directly into Big 4 consulting when I was applying for jobs out of college as I figured that it was always an option that was open to auditors to move into that role (and it seems like a lot do after getting some experience). I haven't really regretted that decision yet, while audit does work you much harder than the consulting groups I hope that it does give a new college grad a much more well-rounded business skill set... at least that's what I tell myself (and that's what the firm tells me lol).

But yea could definitely see myself moving into that side of the business. What group were you in/how'd you like it?

ket310

Postby ket310 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:41 pm

thatsnotmyname wrote:
ket310 wrote:
thatsnotmyname wrote:

The second section in bold, is pretty key to informing my decision. Because I've heard that mentioned on sites like this, that Big Law associates with 3 years of experience or so typically take pay cuts when they leave their firm. But is the pay cut really that dramatic and usual? There must be a good percentage of associates that leave their Big Law jobs for a pay increase, no? It just seems so strange to me that the salary trajectory of an ex-Big Law associate typically would drop that hard and then have to build it up again to where they were their first year out of law school.

I'm starting to lean further back away from law school again. To be clear, I have no intention of really staying long enough to make partner in a law or accounting firm. My main hope in going to law school would be that the legal background could help shortcut me into some sort of CFO/CCO/other executive position at a medium-sized private company...

1. My apology on misreading. I thought 70 hrs and 90 hrs were much different, but I guess not really, rethinking on what you've said.

2. That's big difference between accounting and law. Big 4 exit gives you more money and more time, but Big Law exit gives you less money and more time.
The only few cases you will make more when you exit Big Law:
- Open your own firm and make insane sales revenue (slim because 3yr biglaw won't do you good in state law system, unless you have connection to judges)
- Get management position with stock option (very slim as 3yr asso)

From what my brother told me, Big Law exits that get you money are
Industry in-house counsel: appx $100~150K depending on your experience and role
Government agencies: appx $75~90K (whether you get GS 12 or GS 13)
Smaller firms: really depends, but definitely lower than big law

If you don't want to stay in big law or open your own firm and take the risk, staying in big 4 seems a lot better option in financial terms. Even if you go to T14, chance of landing big law is ONLY about 35%.

Postby 20141023 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:08 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:19 am

For the person impressed by the B4.

I think advancement opportunities in the B4 accounting firms depend heavily on the region then. Where I live, B4 works a bit worse than Big law (and you get paid 1/3 of what Blaw pays)

You are exploited during your internships, then you're offered a position (once you get a summer job, it's pretty difficult not to get an offer- auditing at the junior auditor level its pretty simple), you work for a couple of years then you get your own group of junior auditors and your stuck afterwards most certainly unless you have a growing business, luck, and the need for upper level executives. Most people where I live work in a B4 and end up working solo or in a midsize company where they have minions ready to do the boring tasks.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:38 pm

qwertyboard wrote:For the person impressed by the B4.

I think advancement opportunities in the B4 accounting firms depend heavily on the region then. Where I live, B4 works a bit worse than Big law (and you get paid 1/3 of what Blaw pays)

You are exploited during your internships, then you're offered a position (once you get a summer job, it's pretty difficult not to get an offer- auditing at the junior auditor level its pretty simple), you work for a couple of years then you get your own group of junior auditors and your stuck afterwards most certainly unless you have a growing business, luck, and the need for upper level executives. Most people where I live work in a B4 and end up working solo or in a midsize company where they have minions ready to do the boring tasks.

Well regardless of where you live, Big 4 gets paid 1/3 of what biglaw pays at best. Really, it's less than a third because biglaw associates usually get a nice year-end bonus which big 4 don't really offer associates. decent bonuses really only go to managers.

Big 4 interns have it the best also. They aren't really exploited at that point at all, they actually get way more perks than actual first-year associates. Everyone treats them really well, partners actually talk to them and try to impress them, they have social events, they get paid over-time, 2 of the firms pay for all of their interns to go to disney world, i think one of them basically sends them to a resort in Dallas... being an intern is pretty awesome, you just show up, keep a positive attitude, get paid, and have a job offer in hand before graduation.

The aspiration of most Big 4 auditors is to stick it out to manager and then leave to go "in-house" and become a controller, assistant controller, director of accounting, etc. Basically leave to go to a decent sized client, usually a public company but not always depending on your industry specialization, and get paid $110-125K per year to work a whole lot less hours than you're used to. From there it's really a crap shoot depending on how good/motivated you are but a select few who are very ambitious/extremely lucky will continue to climb the corporate ladder ideally all the way to CFO.

It's really not that difficult to find a solid position once you're manager, even associates at my firm with less than a year of experience are constantly contacted by head hunters albeit for pretty crappy internal audit associate positions. but as you move up you keep getting more and more quality offers from head hunters. I honestly can't imagine any decent sized market being much different in terms of exit opportunities...

ket310

Postby ket310 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:44 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
ket310 wrote:Even if you go to T14, chance of landing big law is ONLY about 35%.

Wut?

That was from class of 2011. From class of 2012, the average is about 50%. Upenn has the highest % at 67% and Yale the lowest % at 32%. I got the data from ABA and considered big law as 100 or more FTLT attorneys. (Well, Yale has low number because it has the highest A III clerkship %)

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:45 pm

ket310 wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:
ket310 wrote:Even if you go to T14, chance of landing big law is ONLY about 35%.

Wut?

That was from class of 2011. From class of 2012, the average is about 50%. Upenn has the highest % at 67% and Yale the lowest % at 32%. I got the data from ABA and considered big law as 100 or more FTLT attorneys. (Well, Yale has low number because it has the highest A III clerkship %)

This isn't how you do this. At the very least you have to do Biglaw + AIII.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:09 pm

ket310 wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:

Wut?

You can't just use the percentage of people who get biglaw to represent the odds of landing biglaw

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun May 05, 2013 2:45 pm

This is an extremely easy question on its surface that has nothing to do with money. Do you want to be an attorney or an accountant? The work is very different. Only go yo law school if you want to practice law with your life. All other considerations are moot.

If you only care about making money, work for an investment bank or pricewaterhouse/deloitte -> top MBA -> junior management at investment bank. But this is a dipshit way of life IMO

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:55 am

thatsnotmyname wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:I use to work at the Big Four. I don't know how you ever found the time to study for the LSAT. I worked in the consulting branch, so my hours were usually a lot more humane like in the 40-50 range. The shit that sucks the most is how you have a half dozen managers all giving you work at the same time. Let us know on TLS what you end up deciding to do.

I studied for the LSAT while I was still in college. I just decided at that time that law school wasn't the right decision for me. I was just reconsidering it now, just to keep my options open... as when that LSAT score expires in Feb 2015, I won't have time to study for it again ever. So I really only have two admission cycles before that window will close for me in my eyes.

BUT another option that I've strongly considered is transferring to an M&A or Transaction consulting group at my firm/another firm a couple years down the line once I have a bit more experience. Big 4 consulting is soooo much better than audit in every way. Better pay, much better hours, more interesting work, shorter partner track, better b-school resume experience, etc. I actually decided against going directly into Big 4 consulting when I was applying for jobs out of college as I figured that it was always an option that was open to auditors to move into that role (and it seems like a lot do after getting some experience). I haven't really regretted that decision yet, while audit does work you much harder than the consulting groups I hope that it does give a new college grad a much more well-rounded business skill set... at least that's what I tell myself (and that's what the firm tells me lol).

But yea could definitely see myself moving into that side of the business. What group were you in/how'd you like it?

I was actually in Risk Consulting for construction and engineering projects. During my tenure there, I traveled to Atlanta, Singapore, Norway, Chicago, Michigan, Wisconsin and a few other places. It was a real cool job for the most part, but I always knew I never planned to do that for my career. Some of the work I did was somewhat difficult and other stuff wasn't that bad at all. In my group, I had a very small number of billable hours allocated to me to complete projects, so I had to frequently eat hours and not bill them.

Knowing that I didn't want to do consulting for my career made me miserable at times and resulted in me having to quit. It was the right decision for me, but a very difficult one to make. I put a high premium on happiness. I have always wanted to be an attorney since like my sophomore year in college. This consulting gig just felt like a detour and not getting me any closer to where I wanted to be.

You have a tough choice ahead of you. I actually graduated with a very similar GPA as you and your LSAT score is good. Like others have said, I think it comes down to if you actually want to be an attorney. I wouldn't attend law school simply because it may be a route to a lot of $$$. If you just want money, I would go get an elite MBA.

The Big Four can be a good place to work, but they need to work on a few things here and there. If you aren't happy, I would go get an MBA or a law degree. Only you know what you truly want to do though. I would ignore most outside voices, because a lot of them just can't weigh the costs vs. the benefits of making such a life altering decision.

Tell us what you end up deciding. I am very interested in hearing what you decide to do.

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Fri May 10, 2013 1:02 am

Do you want to be a lawyer? If so, go to law school.

Simplicity

Postby Simplicity » Fri May 10, 2013 5:21 am

I see you're at PwC, as you refer to yourself as an "associate". Similar to you, I'm a first year staff at EY, and I'm getting the fuck out as fast as possible. If you want me to detail all of the reasons I dislike audit, I could go on for days. It seems as if you've gone through the same thought process I have. Leaving once you hit manager, at best, you'll be taking a job as a financial reporting manager. If you enjoy accounting, maybe that's fine with you. I, however, do not enjoy accounting. So I'm getting out ASAP. I don't want that career path, and I'm for sure not staying 14-15 years till I make partner.

I'll be attending UChicago next year, barring an acceptance from Harvard or Stanford off the waitlist. Also gonna take the GMAT this summer just to see how I do. If I can dominate the GMAT like I did the LSAT, I may work 1 more year then get my MBA so I can do consulting. Although, that is a route you can take out of law school as well.

Reading the rest of your posts in this thread, we're like the exact same person...the GC of my primary client went to Harvard Law, worked in biglaw for a few years, then went to work for this company when it was still relatively new. Stock price has nearly tripled since he started, and he's now worth millions. And he's only 35. That's pretty much my dream.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri May 10, 2013 10:20 am

don't go to lawl skewl

Return to “What are my chances?”