Second Language?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TripTrip

Re: Second Language?

Postby TripTrip » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:38 am

Real Madrid wrote:If you want to learn Mandarin (or any other language) - be it for travel, potential career benefits, or any other reason - go for it.

There is a caveat to this though. Taking a college course which will more than likely bring down your GPA (as I know taking Mandarin definitely would to my GPA) is a bad idea. Learning new things is great on your own time, but don't waste your GPA.

Postby 20141023 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:44 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:54 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:If you want to learn Mandarin (or any other language) - be it for travel, potential career benefits, or any other reason - go for it.

There is a caveat to this though. Taking a college course which will more than likely bring down your GPA (as I know taking Mandarin definitely would to my GPA) is a bad idea. Learning new things is great on your own time, but don't waste your GPA.

There is an exception to this caveat, though. For example, I already knew Japanese going into college, so taking Japanese coursework actually padded my GPA. Accordingly, if you are already fluent in a language, majoring in that language could be one of the smartest things you can do if you 100% plan on going to law school. :lol:

Ha! I don't think that's an exception. My caveat is just "if taking course X will bring your GPA down, try not to take course X."

But yes, if you're crazy like kappycaft1, take the crazy classes.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 03, 2013 2:59 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

There is an exception to this caveat, though. For example, I already knew Japanese going into college, so taking Japanese coursework actually padded my GPA. Accordingly, if you are already fluent in a language, majoring in that language could be one of the smartest things you can do if you 100% plan on going to law school. :lol:

a caveat to the exception of the caveat: I actually know two cases where someone who was native to a language and majored in that language got pwned in LSAT admissions despite a near 4.0. even with the heavy emphasis on numbers, TOP law schools still look for challenging coursework when deciding between applicants. If you want HYS you need to stand out amongst many applicants with high GPA's and one way to do that is with demonstrate you've challenged yourself with your coursework

for example, philip chung born in Seoul majoring in korean at UCSD with a 3.95 will not impress hys admissions

clarification: native english speaking english majors obviously excluded from this

izha

Postby izha » Fri May 03, 2013 4:27 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

a caveat to the exception of the caveat: I actually know two cases where someone who was native to a language and majored in that language got pwned in LSAT admissions despite a near 4.0. even with the heavy emphasis on numbers, TOP law schools still look for challenging coursework when deciding between applicants. If you want HYS you need to stand out amongst many applicants with high GPA's and one way to do that is with demonstrate you've challenged yourself with your coursework

for example, philip chung born in Seoul majoring in korean at UCSD with a 3.95 will not impress hys admissions

clarification: native english speaking english majors obviously excluded from this

That's so unfair. Poor Philip Chung, who is obviously Chinese, gets discriminated.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Fri May 03, 2013 4:33 pm

TripTrip wrote:

this is such a fucking stupid thing to worry about. not to knock you, but more the system.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat May 04, 2013 3:35 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

this is such a fucking stupid thing to worry about. not to knock you, but more the system.

I agree. I wish there was a better way of assessing academic achievement that could be as widespread and useful as GPA.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun May 05, 2013 2:13 am

TripTrip wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

I agree. I wish there was a better way of assessing academic achievement that could be as widespread and useful as GPA.

Says the 4.0.... Pshhh

Return to “What are my chances?”